It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAIR on Bush Admin Funding of Armstrong Williams: "The Government Is Running a Domestic Propaganda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   
For sometime now I have watched the use of the media by our government to promote the war in Iraq, when the war first started and I watched numerous news channels I felt as though I was watching a pep rally and indeed at times looked to see where the cheerleaders were. I have repeatedly looked elsewhere for alternative news sources due to the clear indications that we were not being given anything but a one sided view and nothing more. Take the war in Iraq there is very little talk of civilian deaths or injuries, our own military who are injured are very seldom mentioned, just nothing but numbers very few human interest stories that reflect the horror of war, just feel good ones about how proud this wife or family member is of their soldier. It has gotten to the point to where I believe very little that is reported or I look elsewhere for the rest of the story.
Now finally here is proof of the use of the media to promote the govs agenda and though this is just two instances that might not matter to some I feel it is proof positive of how our media is being used as a tool to promote a one sided view of what the Bush administration is doing. I do not necessaily believe this is just something that has started with the Bush administration but one thing for sure it has gotten worse since he came into office.

www.democracynow.org.../01/11/1446234The Bush administration paid prominent African American pundit Armstrong Williams $240,000 to promote its controversial No Child Left Behind legislation on his nationally syndicated television show and to urge other black journalists to do the same.
Williams was required "to regularly comment on No Child Left Behind during the course of his broadcasts," and to interview Education Secretary Rod Paige for TV and radio spots that aired during the show in 2004.

His contract was part of a 1 million dollar government deal with public relations firm Ketchum that produced fake, prepackaged new reports - known as video news releases, or VNRs - that were designed to look like news reports and were used to promote No Child Left Behind. The Bush administration used similar releases last year to promote its Medicare prescription drug plan, prompting a scolding from the Government Accountability Office, which called them an illegal use of taxpayers" dollars.

Just last week, the GAO scolded the Bush administration a second time for distributing VNRs, this time produced by the Office of National Drug Control Policy concerning the dangers of marijuana. They featured former reporter Mike Morris, and were aired, at least in part, on 300 news shows. The GAO called it "illegal government propaganda."

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I really find it hard to believe that I'm the only one angered by this.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Im sure there are plenty of people angry about this, but i think it will cause no surprise to people. Well all i will say is that america voted him back in.....dont you just love democracy!

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Actually for once its more than just speculation it been proven true. And of course if they are using the media for this one must wonder on what else we have been lied to and manipulated into believing. As for Bush winning the election ever, well thats questionable.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Goose....
Seems that 63 million don't see it as questionable!

Btw, goose...
What you have to say about the Dean Presidential Campaign paying those two (DailyKos, etc.) bloggers off to say "nice" things about him and to support him? I hear no screams of foul play from the very same people in this thread that have virtually crucified the Bush Administration.

Are you available for comment?

seekerof

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The liberal media is a lie perpetuated by pro-war advocates in an attempt to undermine anti war sentiment. Even the alleged highly liberal New York Times admitted they made a "mistake" (yeah right) about not asking more questions into the pre-war Iraq allegations. Its not stupidity its by design that such questions were not asked. A capitalist society will spawn capitalist media. Meaning what makes the news goes to the highest bidder. The monthly checks dished out to media to silence them is probably a quarter of the defense budget or more.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I don't really know how I feel about the propagana issue, I think there has been times in our history, not near history, where a little propaganda helped the people go forward, but it's the issue of now child left behind. And this coming from a Black man of means, makes it the worst kind of lie. I mentor a hispanic kid once a week in a very dilapitated school district and think back to the days when children weren't left behind.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
So the government will pay 1 million dollar on advertisement but will keep on cutting on school programs to the point that this year in our county less children will go with not free lunches because is not money.

I find it very offensive and a disgrace to our children.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Seekerof, for one thing the fact that Dean paid bloggers is a completely different issue, the administration was using TAXPAYERS dollars to do this

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
The liberal media is a lie perpetuated by pro-war advocates in an attempt to undermine anti war sentiment. Even the alleged highly liberal New York Times admitted they made a "mistake" (yeah right) about not asking more questions into the pre-war Iraq allegations. Its not stupidity its by design that such questions were not asked. A capitalist society will spawn capitalist media. Meaning what makes the news goes to the highest bidder. The monthly checks dished out to media to silence them is probably a quarter of the defense budget or more.

The Media doesnt have to be bribed, its owned by very powerful rightwingers which have connexions with these people.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Goose....
Seems that 63 million don't see it as questionable!

Btw, goose...
What you have to say about the Dean Presidential Campaign paying those two (DailyKos, etc.) bloggers off to say "nice" things about him and to support him? I hear no screams of foul play from the very same people in this thread that have virtually crucified the Bush Administration.

Are you available for comment?

seekerof

Actually Seekerof there is going to be a recount in Ohio due to so many voting irregularities. As for the vote in 2000 there were so many voters kept from voting there is no real way to say which way the election went except to note that most of the voters not allowed to vote were registered democrats. My point of view on this is that I want every one to vote that wants to vote and every vote should be counted even republicans but I find this point of view is more of a democrat's point of view most republican's are perfectly happy that some of the democrat's votes did not count or that many were not allowed to vote otherwise they would not discount and ignore the facts of the elections that many people were disenfranchised.
As for Dean paying bloggers that is wrong but as RobotAlligator said its a completely different issue. The Bush administration is using propraganda tactics against the American people to promote their agenda they are using the media to dictate what you see and think, they are manipulating the media in such a way as to promote their agenda and to tell you what to think about it. You seem very much for the Bush administration, I wonder how much of this loyalty is based on the reality of what they are doing or their propraganda to tell you what to think. Above I showed two instances where the Bush Administration has been scolded for using VNR's, video news releases, designed to look like real news reports, the reports were used to promote the medicare presciption drug plan and another concerning the dangers of marijuana. And now this paid pundit to promote the No Child Left Behind legislation. Thats three instances of proven propraganda tactics and you don't wonder how much more propraganda has been put out there to tell you and I and everyone else what to think and you don't wonder how much of your loyalty to them is real or based on propraganda and indeed choose to defend them based on the fact that Dean paid bloggers. The Bush Administration is in charge and is using your hard earned tax dollars against you, does that not make you angry? Does it not make you question anything about your views on the Bush Adminstration's tactics and what they have done and are doing? After all it is clear that you are being told what to think about it, since it has been proven propraganda tactics has been used by the Bush Adminsitration.

top topics

join