It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Change Denial, Anyone?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

I am always having a blast. It was evening listening to a drunken friend ramble on about stuff that makes him angry...so I had to turn to ATS for relief.

Do you bother to search through similar topics on ATS for the information that you seek?

If this one page one, I might go through the effort of linking the claims together because moreveyes would see it. On page x+ on a dead thread im not going to waste my time.

Can you provide links that counter my claim of increased CO2 as a result activity causes a warming effect globally?

edit on 17-5-2016 by jrod because: yknot

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
No. No matter how often you say it, the evidence does not show you are correct.

More and more earthquakes occurring,
No.

Yes they are... USGS scientists say that they are...

The average rate of big earthquakes — those larger than magnitude 7 — has been 10 per year since 1979, the study reports. That rate rose to 12.5 per year starting in 1992, and then jumped to 16.7 per year starting in 2010 — a 65 percent increase compared to the rate since 1979. This increase accelerated in the first three months of 2014 to more than double the average since 1979, the researchers report.

www.livescience.com...

1. Introduction

Obvious increases in the global rate of large (M ≥ 7.0) earthquakes happened after 1992, 2010, and especially during the first quarter of 2014 (Table 1 and Figure 1). Given these high rates, along with suggestions that damaging earthquakes may be causatively linked at global distance [e.g., Gomberg and Bodin, 1994; Pollitz et al., 1998; Tzanis and Makropoulos, 2002; Bufe and Perkins, 2005; Gonzalez-Huizar et al., 2012; Pollitz et al., 2012, 2014], we investigate whether there is a significant departure from a random process underlying these rate changes. Recent studies have demonstrated that M ≥ 7.0 earthquakes (and also tsunamis) that occurred since 1900 follow a Poisson process [e.g., Michael, 2011; Geist and Parsons, 2011; Daub et al., 2012; Shearer and Stark, 2012; Parsons and Geist, 2012; Ben-Naim et al., 2013]. Here we focus on the period since 2010, which has M ≥ 7.0 rates increased by 65% and M ≥ 5.0 rates up 32% compared with the 1979 – present average. The first quarter of 2014 experienced more than double the average M ≥ 7.0 rate, enough to intrigue the news media [e.g., www.nbcnews.com...]. We extend our analysis to M ≥ 5.0 levels, as many of these lower magnitude events convey significant hazard, and global catalogs have not generally been tested down to these thresholds.

2. Methods and Data

We work with the Advanced National Seismic System (ANSS) catalog of M≥ 5.0 global earthquakes for the period between 1979 and 2014.3 with a primary focus on the recent interval between 2010 and 2014.3 that shows the highest earthquake rates (Table 1 and Figure 1). A variety of tests suggest that the catalog is complete down to magnitudes between M=4.6 and M=5.2, depending on the method used to assess it (see supporting information). We examine a range of lower magnitude thresholds above M =5.0 to account for this uncertainty.

profile.usgs.gov...

Read what these scientists wrote and don't go only by the name of their research article...

1. Introduction

Obvious increases in the global rate of large (M ≥ 7.0) earthquakes happened after 1992, 2010, and especially during the first quarter of 2014 (Table 1 and Figure 1).

profile.usgs.gov...

Exponential increases in earthquake activity from 1992-2014 doesn't equal to 4 years Phage...

Not to mention the increase in underwater volcanic activity.

Then there is also the fact that we found out that magmatic/volcanic activity has been increasing, and more so under our oceans, and we found volcanoes have been melting ice sheets in the Antarctic.

Underwater volcanoes, not climate change, reason behind melting of West Antarctic Ice Sheet
10 June 2014, 10:43 pm EDT By James Maynard Tech Times

Melting of a major glacier system in western Antarctica may be caused by underwater volcanoes, and not by global climate change, according to new research.

Thwaites Glacier, a massive outlet for ice that empties into Pine Island Bay, is flowing at a rate of one-and-a-quarter miles per year. The bay opens up into the Amundsen Sea.

The Thwaites Glacier has been the subject of scrutiny by climatologists in the last few years, as new information about the severity of the melting becomes available. Traditional models had assumed heating from subterranean sources was fairly even around the region. New data provides details about areas where little was previously known.

University of Texas researchers studied how water moves underground in the region. They found liquid water was present in a greater number of sources than previously believed, and it is warmer than estimated in previous studies.

www.techtimes.com...

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Nvm, completely misunderstood

edit on 18-5-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Yes they are... USGS scientists say that they are...
Based on a single, limited database.
Look at the data I posted. Data which includes all recorded earthquakes. Do you see an increase?

Not to mention the increase in underwater volcanic activity.

Then there is also the fact that we found out that magmatic/volcanic activity has been increasing, and more so under our oceans, and we found volcanoes have been melting ice sheets in the Antarctic.
Your source does not say there has been an increase in magmatic/volcanic activity.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Just another floody day in Florida.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Dear fellow-members of Above Top Secret,

Although I have the greatest respect for some among you, your performance on this thread has confirmed my suspicion that many of you are not sentient beings at all but mere Pavlovian automatons. You cannot respond to facts and events in any thoughtful or meaningful way; you merely blurt your conditioned responses over and over again, mouthing the same well-chewed-over tropes and displaying about as much empathy and collective humanity as a bed of clams.

This applies to all sides with regard to the current thread topic.

This thread was not started to discuss whether climate change is happening or not. It was not started to discuss whether climate change is man-made or not. It was started to point out that such arguments are passé: the effects of climate change are already with us, they are already deadly serious and will grow more so. Yet, despite the real-life, experiential testimony of others as well as myself, you witter on and on about your solar infall graphs and hockey-stick curves, yapping and snarling at one another like puppydogs fighting over a bone, and refuse to address the facts presented.

Those of you who still retain the thread of a connexion with reality may recall that I commenced this thread talking about a drought in my country. Here’s a quote from my opening post:

In my city, we’re regularly experiencing 40ºC temperatures, and schools are closing in the afternoons because of the heat. This has never happened before. Across the country the year’s first rice harvest has pretty much failed because of a lack of rain.

I typed those words a fortnight ago. In the last four days, my country has received something like a foot of rain a day, pretty much everywhere. As of this morning, 414,627 people have been affected by floods and landslides. 98,076 families are homeless. Over 150 people are feared dead in a single landslide, in which the side of a mountain engulfed an entire village. Not counting this one disaster, another 43 people have died, over three thousand homes have been damaged or destroyed. Six hundred refugee camps have been set up around the country. The government has warned everyone living by rivers and large bodies of water to seek higher ground.

I spent most of yesterday trying to organize the rescue of a friend who lives near the principal river of our capital city. His house is now effectively in the middle of the river, which has burst its banks. As night fell yesterday we were still trying to get a Navy boat to collect him, his aged, diabetic father-in-law and his dogs. With luck, the authorities will get help to them today, but with so much demand for rescue services, his dogs will probably have to be abandoned to their fate.

It is, by the way, dry season in my country.

Well, here you are, Above Top Secret. When it came to the crunch, you showed your true colours. You don’t deserve the attention I pay you. I shall be paying a lot less in the future.

Yours sincerely, Astyanax

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

the flood and drought cycle is devastating. I wish you the best

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I don't know what you want from us.

Its weather! and such extremes are not unknown in India

igu.in...

The hottest temperature in India was recorded in 1926 (pre global warming days)

It is of interest to note that Raghavan (1966) in his study has reported that The severest heat wave on record in the country is that of June 1926. It lasted from the 10th to 16th. The highest value recorded was 46.1°C which occurred on 14th June, 1926. However, his studies were based on the data sets of 1911-1961.

Alwar in Rajasthan (East) holds the record for the highest maximum temperature of 50.60 C (1230 F) on 10 May 1956.

It did all happen before but you were probably too young or not born yet. (I am always suspicious when the global warming PTB describe a year as the hottest since 1961). Obviously the temperature range you are currently experiencing is not the "worst" its ever been!

Its always hot in India during the pre-monsoon season

As for flooding events, the monsoon season is in June. It came a little early this year. Seasons have variability all over the world.

From the same link:

Nearly 40 million hectare of India is flood prone and every year nearly 8 million hectares of land is affected by floods. Flood producing storms have been studied from a hydrological point of view (IITM 1994). Isohytel maps of individual rain storms dating back to 1880 have been prepared. The list of major rainstorms compiled by them consists of all such rain producing systems which were associated with extensive damage and huge depth of flood waters submerging vast areas. The list contain 15 major rain storms from 1880 to present times. In addition extensive floods occurred during 1988 and 1994 and the year 2000. Table 6 gives the list with brief description of damage. A list of severe floods in Indian rivers when flood levels were 10 m and above their respective danger levels is given in Table 7. Extreme rainfall events have also been stud

I am sorry that India is under such extreme weather but it is an El Nino year. The weather you are experiencing is not the "worst". Its not even the worst in the last 50 years.

Its not global warming ......it is weather!!!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

stop the disinfo

you are really out of touch with reality bro

India is known for its stifling heat during the months of April and May, when the subcontinent heats up ahead of the summer monsoon. But the temperatures reached this year have been downright dangerous, and are thought to be a contributor to hundreds, if not thousands, of premature deaths. The heat wave comes as sea surface temperatures in the Indian Ocean have eclipsed all-time record values, and as the globe has smashed temperature records as if it were going out of style. On Wednesday, for example, the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) announced that the 12 months ending in April 2016 were the most unusually warm 12-straight months in the agency's 137 years of temperature data. According to NASA, it is almost certain that 2016 will be the planet's warmest year, beating 2015. According to Chris Burt, a weather historian at Weather Underground, Cambodia and Laos each set all-time record highs for any day of the year during the month of April. India's record will now join them among the many heat records shattered during 2016 so far, with more still to come.

edit on 21-5-2016 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I don't know what you want from us.

What he wants from you is something you're not capable of giving

Your post makes his case for him. This thread was never intended to be about what's provable - what's real or not real

Some people understand this (though some of us still feel the need to try and get people to wake up...that's understandable)

We're beginning to let go of that idea now. The only intelligent way forward right now involves finding ways to make this all survivable. New technology, new energy, new ways of producing food, new housing, new infrastructure, new ways of collecting water - housing, relocating ...

This is where we're at

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest

please follow the link I posted. The hottest temperature in India occurred in 1956.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Really?

Personally, I thought the title was a give away that the OP wanted to use a weather event to challenge those who don't believe that climate is changing because of anthropogenic activities.

Still trying to use emotion instead of reason are you? Sorry but climate is climate and weather is still weather and I better not catch any of your AGW worshippers confusing the two. You have all beat the opposing side to death with the "you don't understand the difference between weather and climate" line for long enough!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
No.

A city in India's Rajasthan state has broken the country's temperature records after registering 51C, the highest since records began, the weather office says.

www.bbc.com...

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well there you go! 0.4 degrees is nothing I care to argue for.

Are you trying to tell me that the current weather in India is "proof' of anthropogenically sourced climate change?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

hey Phage

This 51 degree day happened today. I thought the OP just reported that India is already into the monsoons. Bit of a contraction and all happending the same country.

Northeastern India flooding and easter India boiling.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Well there you go! 0.4 degrees is nothing I care to argue for.
But you were wrong, right?

Are you trying to tell me that the current weather in India is "proof' of anthropogenically sourced climate change?
No, no single bout of weather can tell you that in isolation. But a trend is something different.
indianexpress.com...

This 51 degree day happened today. I thought the OP just reported that India is already into the monsoons.
You don't know what a monsoon is, do you?

edit on 5/21/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Actually, No I was not wrong

indianexpress.com...

About 350 km southwest of Churu, a part-time observatory in Phalodi city, Jodhpur, recorded 51 degrees Celsius on Thursday, which would make it the highest ever recorded in the country. However, Jaipur meteorological department director A K Srivastava says, “We would not emphasise the Phalodi figures since it is not maintained by us.” Calling it “unreliable”, officials say it only throws up “round figures”. - See more at: indianexpress.com...

Contrary to the claims of the OP, it would appear that the heat wave is pretty normal in India at this time of year. Its the flooding that is a little early.

Somehow I trust a newspaper article from India more than I trust one from England on this issue.

Ok just checking to make sure that you are not trying to claim that an El Nino year weather is proof of global warming.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Contrary to the claims of the OP, it would appear that the heat wave is pretty normal in India at this time of year.

The OP says that we can expect to more extreme weather as a result of global warming. That means a trend. The current extreme weather is part of that trend. There will be more of it.

And no the current heat wave in India is not "normal."

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

oh is the OP expecting another El Nino next year?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

oh is the OP expecting another El Nino next year?

I doubt it. She seems to be quite astute. I'm sure she knows that El Nino is not an annual event.

Do you the next severe El Nino will be less severe than this one?

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join