It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tow Truck Driver Leaves Victim on Side of Road Because "Religion"?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BooCrackers

You are mixing religion with politics.....he refused to tow her after a wreck due to the political stickers...had nothing to do with religion

Really? NOTHING to do with religion?

“I’m a conservative Christian, I’ve just drawn a line in the sand,” he said. “I’m not going to associate or conduct business with them.”

"Something came over me, I think the Lord came to me, and he just said get in the truck and leave," said Ken Shupe of Shupee Max Towing in Traveler's Rest, S.C..

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Nope, I'm not a democrat as if that makes any difference. You'll just have to try and attack me with some other pointless label as that one doesn't apply.

You support him because you're praising him for taking a stand on his principles. Why don't you own it instead of trying to back out of it like you're doing now. I guess you don't have any of those same principles you praise others for having.

BTW, just applauding someone for standing by their principles isn't the same as applauding someone for standing by principles that actually matter. Hitler stood by his principles when he gassed the Jews. The Jews and Romans stood by their principles when the crucified Christ. OJ stood by his principles when he killed two people in cold blood. By your reasoning we should be praising them for standing by their principles rather than what those principles actually are.

Face it, you don't know WTF you're even talking about. You don't understand what having principles even means and you sure as hell backed the wrong horse in this race. So have some balls and own up to your choice in backing the Jackass instead of the race horse.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

in my post, I gave examples of business owners who may want to not serve certain customers...
I used christians as the one example mainly because the situation I described is one that I know happens...
the other is the one that is in the op...
in my example, very little harm would be done to refuse those customers, since there's plenty of restaurants within walking distance.
in the second, well, yes, there could have been harm done.
First the lady had crohn's disease. Two facts about this disease, first it is aggravated by stress, second is that diarrhea is a common symptom. so by all means leave the lady stranded an extra hour or two so you can obey the "God" speaking to you in your head!
Then well, she also had back problems and such which affected her walking. There's been times when I couldn't even take a walk in my back yard without looking like I was drunk! the ground was just too uneven, and my ankles just not that flexible. to assume that no harm would be done by leaving her there would be to assume too much! the story could have ended very differently.

so, well, my question is this... why is it that one business gets to deny service, even though it's far more inconvenient to the person being denied? if the story had ended more badly, let's say that she had to go to the bathroom badly enough to get out of her car and try to walk to the trees and go, and she fell and broke a bone or two, should she be able to sue? do we as customers, before we go to a place seeking goods or services, need to call in advance and ask the business if they any problems serving us? what's the deal here?? because, one thing is sure, the lady shouldn't have had to wait over an hour to find out that the guy didn't want to tow her car for her. give me one sane, logical way that this could have been avoided! because unless the businesses make it clear and very public that they will refuse certain groups service, then yes, I guess that is what we will all have to do, call in advance, and just ask them!

no, I am not mixing religion with politics, although gee it seems that it was "God" who told this guy to just go on and leave her there, and it's also religion that happens to be protected from having such things happen to them! I say if they want to use their religion as an excuse to deny people their services then well, maybe they need to be reminded what it feels like to be denied themselves and should lose their protection!

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
a reply to: Annee

Hey Annie. Completely off-topic and from left field...I don't know why but we always seem to argue and I want to at least let you know it isn't anything personal. I don't think you are a bad person or anything, I just don't agree with your core values. I bet we would have one hell of a fun conversation over drinks

Thanks.

I do try to stick to my perspective. Try never to call people names.

My core values? At 70, been through a lot, seen many changes, raised kids and grand kids. I lived when life was basically role playing. I prefer the Opening Rose freeing all those mysteries we kept trying to shove under the rug.

About the only thing I miss is respect.

Sorry to laugh but it was funny seeing your responses in the opposite order of my comments

I'm 51 and have been through quite a bit in my years. I've been one of the rich and one of the poor, one of the problems and one of the solutions. I am a husband and father of two beautiful, respectable daughters. While I expect to have many years ahead of me...I've experienced life in every way I believe possible...as I'm sure you have also.

Believe it or not, I completely understand your comment about role playing though that has not been part of my experiences and I can understand how any "opening" is a breath of fresh air you wish to experience again and again. I would too.

So I hope this little peace between our disagreements is taken for what it is worth. Respect seems to be forgotten in these days and while I may think your projection is occasionally on the harsh side...I do respect your opinion.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Respect seems to be forgotten in these days and while I may think your projection is occasionally on the harsh side...I do respect your opinion.

I'll tell you a secret. I have a deformed jaw/TMJ (extreme, like being born with a club foot joint). In real life, I tend to talk in "short hand" because talking is painful and I have to first form words in my head, before I can make my mouth, and jaw muscles form them.

I think part of my succinctness transfers from that to the keyboard. But, only part. I also had an alcoholic mom and an ADHD daughter. Had to keep things simple.

edit on 5-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Funny how life works. I spent some time in a bottle a decade ago and have a Daughter that is likely ADHD. While my mouth/jaw is typical and without any medical explainable problems...it still gets me in trouble on occasion

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
You can't deny service to someone based on religious beliefs, it's in the First Amendment.

There is likely more to this story, but if the trucker is giving the Bernie Sanders sticker and his Christian faith as the reason not to tow the driver, he should be sued.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
The people most likely to refuse service to someone based on their "religious beliefs" are Christians. Almost every time.

You know, that religion of TOLERANCE, LOVE, and UNDERSTANDING ?

Which in the USA is intolerance, hate based on lies, and complete misunderstanding of basic facts.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
You can't deny service to someone based on religious beliefs, it's in the First Amendment.

There is likely more to this story, but if the trucker is giving the Bernie Sanders sticker and his Christian faith as the reason not to tow the driver, he should be sued.

You have to have legal grounds to sue someone.

We don't have that information.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ranger351

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: ketsuko
If it's his truck and his business, oh well. His loss.

What if something happened to that women during the 2 1/2 hours she sat on the side of the road waiting for help? What if she had been robbed, raped or murdered, while she sat their vulnerable and alone?

What if she had been picked up by aliens, what if a meteor fell out the sky and crushed her, what if she couldn't get to the lottery office to claim her winning power ball ticket in the last hour before the claim period expired....none of these matter because "what if's" are not "what is" sorry, but there is no sense to worry about what if, just worry about life as it really is.

What ifs seem to matter when it comes to bathroom laws, as some posters argued earlier, when the same argument came up. My answer; "What if monkey's flew out of your butt?" What if, what if...

If that woman had been attacked while waiting, or any other terrible thing happened, she would have had cause to sue the tow truck driver.

edit on 5-5-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
What a piece of crap that guy is. Conservatism is a disease that is destroying the world. For a long time America had risen above it, but now we're drowning in idiots and asshats to put it nicely.

The ironic thing is that Bernie is probably a better Christian than that guy and he's Jewish!

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I hate Fundies.

I really do.

So your hate for a group of people is different from the tow truck driver's how?
edit on 5-5-2016 by VVV88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2016 by VVV88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
If it's his truck and his business, oh well. His loss.

What if something happened to that women during the 2 1/2 hours she sat on the side of the road waiting for help? What if she had been robbed, raped or murdered, while she sat their vulnerable and alone?

One less Bernie supporter?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

You're pretty sure, are you?

So you're going to accuse him of being a closet bigot with nothing as evidence. Nice.

Fundamentalist equals bigot--with no supporting evidence required. Gotcha.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: VVV88

I hate Fundies.

I really do.

So your hate for a group of people is different from the tow truck driver's how?

Show me where I said I hate the tow truck driver.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   

You are mixing religion with politics.....he refused to tow her after a wreck due to the political stickers...had nothing to do with religion

Really? NOTHING to do with religion?

“I’m a conservative Christian, I’ve just drawn a line in the sand,” he said. “I’m not going to associate or conduct business with them.”

"Something came over me, I think the Lord came to me, and he just said get in the truck and leave," said Ken Shupe of Shupee Max Towing in Traveler's Rest, S.C..

As per usual, taking quotes out of context.

Here is EVERYTHING he said:

“Something came over me, I think the Lord came to me, and he just said get in the truck and leave,” Shupe said. “And when I got in my truck, you know, I was so proud, because I felt like I finally drew a line in the sand and stood up for what I believed.”

He's crediting "the lord" with giving him the strength to stand up for something he believed in - in the same way some people who say, lose a lot of weight, credit "the lord" with the strength required.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

First and foremost, people are animals...nothing civilized about us. The sooner you realize that the better off you'll be and these little questions about right and wrong will dissipate.

Second, like it or not, circumstances being what they are, even in the restaurant business with them all being close by. A privately owned business in this country has the rights of a private individual. Whether or not you saw god on your way to the bathroom is irrelevant. LEGALLY a Private owned business, by a private citizen not curtailed by the rules of a larger company has the right to say shove off...period. Does not matter what the nature of that business is. And here is the thing...you have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were denied service for that criteria outlined in the Americans anti-discrimination act, and the Americans disabilities act. If you cant do that, you're wasting your time. That and most private business owners don't have to say a word to you about why they deny you service. Politics are not covered. The guy stood up for what he believed in, and the lady was inconvenienced for a couple hours.....we can go over the what ifs all day.....but I got sh*t to do.

The short answer to your question, its lawful under the right circumstances. He wasn't part of a national chain of tow trucks, hence its his business his right. and here is the f'd up thing. in North Carolina his business is likely booming for doing what he did.

Right and wrong are an extreme grey area this day and age as every other individual has a line they would cross if they had the opportunity being that we are a race of vain and superficial beings with petty motivations anymore. This guy stood up for his beliefs...who cares if the woman was stranded for a couple of extra hours. And as far as these micro diseases that has been created by control over diet by government....well I'm sure they don't have many cases of that in countries that are not trying to kill off its population.

Its an a**hole view I know. Am I sympathetic to the lady? No. if that's what you are looking for its in the dictionary in between sh*t and syphilis.

When I was growing up and if I stuck a butter knife in the plug outlet, my father would let me. Then he would say "Hurt like hell didn't it? Do it again!" This taught me 2 lessons, never put a butter knife in a plug outlet, and sometimes you just have to let people learn lessons on their own.

Would I be upset if this happened to my family? No, because it wouldn't happen. I teach my children and wife what I was taught. Certain rules to live by. Don't advertise anything on your vehicle that could give anyone insight into your life or views (same goes for your house/job). No political stickers, no team badges, national flags, soccer mom family stickers, no my student is on the honor roll, no NRA, no USMC stickers....you get the idea. Even though I might belong to some of those, you'd never know to look at me, and that's the point. Anything I produce in light of the criminality of man will come on as a surprise.

With those stickers on her car, in the southern states, she was asking for it....not sure what to tell you. Its not fair, but neither is life.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Well, we'll see. Maybe people shouldn't have been forcing people to do stuff?

Maybe, special snowflakes shouldn't be in the public marketplace then?

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Well, Ive been called worse...and I would likely break out a lawn chair if you were on the side of the road being mauled by a bear.....64oz whizzer cup from the 7-11...little bit of popcorn. Hey not my place to intervene with nature, you likely pissed off the bear first. How am I to know. Besides American culture is to not get involved, rather film it and post on YouTube right?

Sorry not backing any horse, just saying he was within his legal right to do what he did. And the thing about principals is they represent the moral values instilled upon any one individual. I said right and wrong were a matter of perspective. In my view I live in a nation full of prey, because they choose to be prey. You may not like me, but I am fair. And in this world fair is enough.

And don't confuse principals with passion or dogmatic belief. 3 different horses there chuck.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: VVV88

I hate Fundies.

I really do.

What is she selling that she is denying fundy twatbags?

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join