It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt official blames ‘Tom and Jerry’ cartoons for violence in the Middle East

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Add this to the list of reasons for violence and extremism in the Middle East.

"Tom and Jerry" cartoons.

That’s what the head of Egypt’s State Information Service declared in a speech this week at Cairo University. And, oh yes, in case the audience didn’t take him seriously about his theories on the dim-witted cat and the pesky mouse, he offered two more reasons: video games and violent movies. "Tom and Jerry" portrays "the violence in a funny manner". and sends the message that, yes, I can hit him … and I can blow him up with explosives. The article is about how children learn bad habits from the American cartoon, such as smoking, stealing and drinking booze,warps the idea of justice, helps children come up with sinister plans, and encourages violence and the use of sharp instruments such as knives, guns, and chainsaws. WHAT a load of CRAP!! The mind boggles where they dream up this rubbish, it's anti-USA propaganda in full flight, enough said.......www.washingtonpost.com... l_wv
edit on 4-5-2016 by tommo39 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
sounds an awful lot like the lame excuses republicans use when trying to ban grand theft auto.

“A youth can spend hours playing video games where he kills and butchers, if he is faced with societal pressures that will push him to violence, he will then accept it very easily,” he added.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: tommo39

Yeah, maybe looking closer to home would be a good idea.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I guess the guy hasn't seen Foghorn Leghorn, or even Top Cat...yet.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
5 minutes of Elmer and Bugs would give him a stroke.
2nd.
edit on 4-5-2016 by DAVID64 because: got characters crossed

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Perhaps he is subtly admitting his nation is lacking brain power and are all impressionable to the point a child's cartoon can invoke thoughts of violence?

"I must strap explosives to myself"

Perhaps all this time we have got the east all wrong. Perhaps they are all paying homage to Wylie Coyote?

Meep Meep

edit on 4-5-2016 by CaptainBeno because: spelling

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I blame Itchy and Scratchy.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Reminds me of being raised on a baptist church in the 90s. A little paranoid and way behind the times.

I love a good " Devil in rock n roll" story.

But seriously? What a cop out. Seems like a society stuck in my childhood.

I suppose it's a slippery slope, though. I can entertain the idea of media promoting a degrading effect on society... So I guess i get it.

Just rings echoes of getting Mortal Kombat for Christmas . And the family discussion on weather it was "appropriate " or not ...

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Allamah Tom and Imam Jerry are at it again, shouting about Al's Snackbar

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
some people are vulnerable to these influences, but probably 95% of kids learn their attitudes and right and wrong from their family

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Typical of today's peoples everywhere. Blame someone else because it is always someone else's fault.

It's Bush's fault.

It's Obama's fault.

Points finger > He did it!

No, she did it!
But blaming a cartoon character video is taking it to new heights.
Oh, maybe not, it's already been used by Hillary and Obama for the Benghazi killings and their supporters really loved it and ran with it.
Responsibility is a concept that needs to be forgotten. It's just so yesterday.
edit on 4-5-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   

The scary thing is that he delivered his speech in Egypts most-respected University.... Now we know a Cairo University degree is worth diddily squat

top topics

join