It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Shuts Down Comments on Malia Obama Article When Realizing How Racist their Readers Are

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

en.wikipedia.org...

Pretty much the idea that thinking about breaking the law or some cultural norm is the same as doing it and deserves to be punished as such.

In an extreme example: Thinking or saying "I would kill Jerry for that Klondike Bar right now" - Gets arrested for attempted murder.

Again that example is waaaay out there, just trying to clarify the idea.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
blacks are so racist and white shaming must stop.

/sarc

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: Bennyzilla
a reply to: kaylaluv

You're literally describing thought crime....No thank you

No. I'm not saying people should go to jail for saying racist words. I'm saying that racist words do have power to lead to racist actions, even if the recipient pays no mind to the words.

Where I come from, the term "wop' was used against italians (I am part italian). up in the northern united states, plenty of italians, often clustered together (little italy). Its not used much anymore because early in the 19th century it was used as a bit of a curse, but italians basically didn't care, even called each other a wop. it lost its power because inherently italians have a lot of self worth as a culture and can quickly call someone back a even worse name..so it sort of died out
same with limey, kike, krout, jap, chink, and quickly terms like spic, gypsy, etc.
Because these people come with a simple pride in themselves and genuinely not caring what others label as...
And because of this attitude, people using those words in any serious context are typically just pitied and laughed at..even by proper racists who become embarassed.

So, the n-word still has tons of power, tons of insult and injury..why?...well, unlike the other words, there are people who make careers on being professionally offended by it..this in turn empowers the word so every troll from here to Timbuktu can use and cause mass hysteria..mix that with the anonymous nature of the internet and you have a recipe for endless offense..and great careers formed off of the eternal red meat of kids using a naughty word online to watch the reaction of people freaking out.

I hate to admit it, but 4chan has done more for racial equality than any recent black activist. those sewer chan channels, calling everyone a n-r and faggot has disempowered the word to a meaningless joke that ultimately has no relevance towards offense..ironically 4chan can thank the PC culture for this as it was a needed weight.

Ignore them, or mock them for their inferior mindsets they have...but dont fall into offense with them. its like being personally offended when a baby craps their pants..they didn't do it because they are clever, they did it because they haven't learned how to be an adult yet.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
How about calling it what it is... jealously. Not everyone gets the same opportunities no matter what label one may happen to fall under. Of course some labels demoghraphics etc are going to come with stereotypes and difficulties making things much harder... well looking to make things more fair and balanced less corrupt and stereotypical would give more people opportunities to say attend Harvard or whatever and not think it some entitlement due to the situation of her parents working hard and encouraging her to work hard making it well deserved as a legacy Harvard or hell college in general for a lot of people... living well is actually making it.

So jealousy from ones lot and lashing out because tey didnt get or have the same encouragment or opportunity is all it is... it happens to take on the stereotypical overtones meant to bite hard and hurt as a button that may exist to be pushed, so if she read it may feel bad or a bit as miserable as the people writing them do.

Of course... that gets no where, people say life is unfair and its a vicious cycle. Thats why stirring separatism and hate instead of seeing the ration jealousy as the logical reason... means no comprehension is going to take place and more fuel more fire more debate. Bring more opportunity and equality and not so much pent up greed that stirs such hate and tis sort of lashing out will disappear.

Ive seen waitresses in love with being a waitress... making less than 3 dollars an our, losing a tip because the cook on hourly or salary messed up not them... yet still love the job like a duck in water. Thats the difference, many stuck in stuff and whinning about being stuck lashing out angry at others not stuck... instead of changing what they can until they are where they want to be... of course some places we are born into is just born stuck, and takes great great effort to get anywhere so it becomes the same cycle over and over... and thats what really needs changing.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Like there are no racist comments on any other media site except Fox News because people who visit those sites are so very tolerant. Have you read the anti-Trump comments lately?

Jackasses made horrible comments about President Obama's daughter on Fox News therefore we need to hear about "the anti-Trump comments?" That makes sense why?

How about this:

Fox News has yet to shut down comments about any article related to Trump's daughter, Ivanka, because they were filled with anti-Semetic slurs/epithets (she's married to a Jewish man IIRC).

Or if you want to go apples for apples, let's talk about the horrible s# that people said about then nominee Obama before the 2008 general election. I'd say whatever anyone has said about Donald Trump pales in comparison.
edit on 2016-5-4 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: matafuchs

My question to use is...... If Larry Wilmore posted...."Malia...my nigga.....you did it!!!!!You made it to college!!!!!" Would that be racist? Just wondering.....

No - it wouldn't

But words have power she said, No matter if the recipient pays no mind she said.

Cant you guys agree on this?

I'm offended!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

Again that example is waaaay out there, just trying to clarify the idea.

I was wondering because you were upset at the idea kaylaluv was putting out there - that words can upset people. They have power

Your thoughts immediately went to thought crimes. If we're trying to suck all the power out of language by making it all neutral - wouldn't we be accomplishing exactly what you fear most?

Wouldn't it then be a kind of thought crime to respond to language? It seems to me that when people say you shouldn't be offended, it's no different from saying - you really shouldn't say that

People use language to express fear, anger, joy - to intimidate and comfort. We are nothing without words. It's not just about information - it's all about emotion. Whoever controls the words controls the people

That works going backwards and forwards

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

What was it Larry Wilmore said that was offensive?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

First of all, Italians weren't slaves, and Italians are still considered white, so you can't really compare America's history with blacks to America's history with Italians.

It's not the word itself that's the problem. Black people call themselves the N-word all the time - doesn't mean a thing.
It's the intent - the thought behind the word that leads to actions. You could ban the word, but people would still have the racist intentions. You could deem the word itself meaningless, but that doesn't remove the hate. They will just find new words to describe their hate.

There is a very long, complicated, violent, hateful history in America when it comes to black people, that doesn't really exist with any other group. You cannot deny this. You cannot deny that those feelings still exist in this country. Regardless of the word used, the hate is still there. The word is simply used to communicate the hate. And where there's hate, there is usually a hateful action coming close behind.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

No, not on a whole but lets look at it....

The majority scream he is a racist. I would think that is because he is white....what else is there to think about? He has not said anything racist and it is just, well, ignorant that people keep repeating this.

First, implementing immigration reform is not racist. Also, it seems odd that the ones complaining are the ones who are most scared.

I do not see Muslims protesting in front of his rallies either. Odd. Maybe it is because they agree with what he is saying. Many Muslims in this country are here fleeing violence. Why would they not want to keep it out of the place where they live now.

Build a wall...there already is one. Were they protesting like this in 06?
ICE is also deporting illegals. It is already happening so why is it blamed on Trump?

Education on current issues goes a long way.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

It was not so much offensive to some, I thought it funny, but he congratulated his 'nigga' Barack during his stand up. I was just making the comparison that it is ok sometimes but not others.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Are you kidding? There were Italian slaves. I know of the Irish quite well as relatives were slaves.

From 1641 to 1652, over 500,000 Irish were killed by the English and another 300,000 were sold as slaves. Ireland’s population fell from about 1,500,000 to 600,000 in one single decade. Families were ripped apart as the British did not allow Irish dads to take their wives and children with them across the Atlantic. This led to a helpless population of homeless women and children. Britain’s solution was to auction them off as well. During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers.

There were times in America where a black man was accepted before an Irishman. SOrry it is not taught in modern history but these are facts.

So, were are my reparations?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Double standards dont add up to equality.

Famous AA against the use of the word

I agree with them actually.

Words have power as established before

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I think we should be able to discuss things in this country without some people telling other people they aren't allowed to discuss it

Intention is a part of language - no different from pointing a gun and pulling a trigger. People say things for a reason. If we agree that it's not a punishable crime - then it is exactly what we're having now. A free for all

Why does it bother you that things bother people?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
blacks are so racist and white shaming must stop.

/sarc

Glad to see that you are against all forms of racism. Oh wait, whats that, you only decry racism against black people? Well how progressive of you! I will keep challenging racism of all kinds, and you keep making sarcastic jokes about the racism you agree with and feign outrage at the racism you don't, ok.

And for the record, most of the racists that teach all white people are evil are progressive white "intellectuals", not blacks.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I'll call out double standards and hypocrisy where I see it.

No offense, I saw it in this thread so I posted.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I was just making the comparison that it is ok sometimes but not others.

I didn't think it was offensive. I understand why some people did. It was both political - and affectionate - and exclusive:

The Sweet Solidarity of Barack Obama and Larry Wilmore

Still, history will remember nothing but “nigga.” It came right after what Wilmore called a “humble appreciation” of Obama’s historic importance, an astonished meditation on the fact that, in a country so recently uncomfortable with the leadership of a black quarterback, we have somehow arrived at the reality, however fleeting, that “a black man can lead the entire free world.” So when he landed on his last word, so affectionately pronounced, I knew what he meant. I found it kind of sweet.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Okay, I'm not going to get in the debate of indentured servitude verses chattel slavery as it is off topic for this thread, as is any talk of reparations.

We are talking about the dangers of racism in the form of online communications.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Those are not actually facts. I've researched this particular topic and it's utter BS. You don't even have to link it because I know that it comes from a global.ca article that has been linked about 1,000,000,000,0000 times by slavery apologists such as yourself (you may not want to be one but that is in fact, what you are).

Do you want to know just how ill informed the author of this glorified book report is?

The Irish slave trade began when James II sold 30,000 Irish prisoners as slaves to the New World. His Proclamation of 1625 required Irish political prisoners be sent overseas and sold to English settlers in the West Indies. By the mid 1600s, the Irish were the main slaves sold to Antigua and Montserrat. At that time, 70% of the total population of Montserrat were Irish slaves.

Guess who wasn't the King of England in 1625? James II who wasn't even born. 1625 was the last year of the reign of James I (James IV of Scotland) who was succeeded by Charles I.

Don't take my word for it, though I am the descendant of Irish immigrants who owned African slaves and had Irish indentured servants (including a cousin), read this op-ed from Irish historian Liam Hogan (Univ of Limerick), Dr. Laura McAtackney (Univ of Dublin) and Matthew Connor Reilly, archaeologist from Brown Univ working in Barbados.

Please stop spreading this ignorant tripe.
edit on 2016-5-4 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Your thinking is why nothing gets done. It is not just black people in the US who are victims of racist actions. It is everyone. Asians. Hispanics. Blacks.Whites.Arab...there is racism everywhere but you, and many like you, only want to talk about blacks.

Did you know the first female African American doctor graduated in the US. Her name was Rebecca Lee. This was in 1864. Now, in 2008, we had a mixed race president who identifies as black. There was a lot that happened in between to many races, creeds and religions but it is always African American Rights that are discussed. I do not remember internment camps for blacks during WW2 but they were there for Asians.

If the world would be color blind it would be a better place. You should be rewarded and achieve more by harder work...not blaming someones race for your shortcomings.

In this case, it is despicable that people would write that but, is the Internet protected as free speech? Be careful...

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join