It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Schools Shuttered as Lawmakers 'Illegally' Withhold Teacher Pay

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Looks like the ongoing Detroit public school teachers "sick out" is really making trouble for a lot of people.

So much trouble in fact, it looks like many people "on the same side" are butting heads.

Now teachers might not be getting "paid".

Hard to solve problems inside a broken system.

Detroit Schools Shuttered as Lawmakers 'Illegally' Withhold Teacher Pay

Ninety-four of 97 Detroit Public Schools (DPS) remained shuttered on Tuesday as the ongoing city-wide teacher "sickout" prompted calls for Michigan lawmakers to "stop playing political games and do the right thing for Detroit's students, educators, and community."

The Detroit Federation of Teachers (DFT) announced a second day of action after the city and state lawmakers failed to assure the union that teachers will be paid their full yearly salary.

"Detroit Federation of Teachers leaders spent the day meeting with DPS Transition Manager Judge Steven Rhodes and other decision makers to get an assurance that our members will be paid for their work," the union said Tuesday. "Still, they refuse to say the three words our members need to hear: 'I guarantee it.' "

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Fire them all... then rehire those that want to work at higher non-union wages.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It's ironic that corporations are considered people and get bailed out quite often, but when it comes to actual people, bail outs are nearly unheard of.

You were right in your OP when you mentioned a broken system.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse in Detroit...

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Why should they get paid if they are not teaching? I'm sure for some of those teachers, that question is an oxymoron. But seriously, Why should they get paid if they are not in the classroom teaching?

It wouldn't be any different than summer vacation. At least in the state I'm in, most school districts do not pay their teachers during the summer when school is out. Only the administrative staff gets paid.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightFire

Would you work for free?

I wouldn't work unless there is a guarantee that I receive my wage/salary.

edit on 4-5-2016 by DigitalVigilante420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightFire

They were teaching, until they were told they might not get paid. Once they pressed them on it, they never got a guarantee, I wouldn't work either.

Sadly it's the whole community that suffers, a lot of single parents are going to have to find babysitters/daycare and not everyone has the money for that.

Teachers need to eat too btw.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DigitalVigilante420

No I wouldn't work for free and I'm not saying they should. I'm just saying if they are shutting the schools down due to a "Sick Out" they shouldn't get paid unless, some sort of vacation time is used so they can get paid.

It is sad that the whole community suffers from this nonsense.

And yes, teachers need to eat to and I am a teacher support because I have family that are teachers, but common sense has to play a part into this whole mess.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Lets face it, there is NO facet of Detroit government that is not corrupt anymore, they continue to try to "rob peter to pay paul", while stuffing their pockets.

Have you heard anything about the conditions these teachers were teaching in to begin with? Some were down right awful.

Something has to be done, and fast, and the unions have to give a little to get a little, if it can help. NOT giving up pay, but being a little more cooperative.
After the corrupt %#@#!@ are removed.

BUT it also doesn't help, that some of these areas are not getting any money from taxes either. People cannot even afford to pay their water bill, let alone taxes. While some areas are being revitalized, others are ghost towns.
edit on 4-5-2016 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The whole city is a wasteland and these teachers are no doubt at least partially responsible for their own failures. Why should they get raises?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Maybe Iraq and Afghanistan were successful in Bringing the American way of life to the ME......Just the Detroit way of life

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

The Senate bills, passed last month, split the school district in two, creating "one to pay off the $515-million operating deficit and the other to run the new school district," the Detroit Free Press explains. The House package currently under debate "will only include money to pay off the debt and not provide an additional $200 million to run the new district. The House plan also puts some restrictions on unions, prohibiting the district from negotiating the school calendar."

This is from the article. They are running a deficit. I also read the original article the day before which explains why the teachers wont get paid. It is how they choose to get paid. They can choose to get paid through the summer or not. The reason for the sick out is because it is illegal for teachers to strike there. So it comes down too is.............They're are flat busted.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Im not usually much of a fan of unions and strikes....but damn. These teachers are being screwed over illegally, in violation of federal law. Its the kind of thing that people go on shooting sprees over. I'd probably put a brick through someones office window over it, at the very least.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Its not that. The money was ALREADY taken from each of their checks all year so they could get a pay during off months...that is the missing $$$. Or they could have just got it during teaching months only.

It was withheld from their checks...but it disappeared.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Again...it was ALREADY WITHELD by % from their checks all year so they could receive checks in summer months.

THEIR WITHELD $$$ has disappeared.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Fire them all... then rehire those that want to work at higher non-union wages.

They aren't striking for higher wages. They are striking beause they aren't being paid wages owed. Which is in violation of federal law.

If i did that, i'd be a felon for it.

The wages were already earned. 35k a year divided by either 22 paydays or 29....those that chose 29 are being screwed out of 7 paydays. At 35k a year that means the district misappropriated funds to a degree that they are illegally withholding $8448 per employee (i suspect the teachers in a metro area are higher paid....but that gives you context).

I don't know about you....but i'd be willing to go to prison over $8000 in unpaid wages.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The problem here is bigger than what the OP has shown.
The schools are in such bad condition that people were getting sick.
Broken glass and mold all over, missing toilet seats, leaks everywhere, ect.
Until the schools are in a good enough condition to be safe, I wouldn't teach there or allow my kid to attend.
DPS has been getting ripped off by the people in charge of it for years. tens of millions of dollars vanished.
it is not as simple as just firing these teachers and getting new ones.
The schools need to be fixed and the appropriate people need to be put in charge, that care about the safety and education of the children, instead of the people who have been in charge, ripping off funds for years

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I understand. So the chicken's have come home to roost... voting for the same corrupt liberal Democrats in every election and then act outraged when the money shows up missing.

I'd be upset, but then again this type of fiscal mismanagement is pretty much par for the course.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Detroit,,,unbelievable....let's send another 1.5 billion in aid to Pakistan for 2016...what do we need that money for...

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

I don't want that money sent to Pakistan, but why on earth should I be on the hook for Detroit? They made their mess. I shouldn't have to pay for them to get out of it. Odds are that the place I live is walking down the same road as are a bunch of other cities who think they can just run deficits forever, just like the states, just like the country. Eventually, math catches up with all of us.

Sooner or later, we will be caught holding the bag.

Someone will have to bite the bullet, so maybe it's time we start working on effective recovery strategies rather than simply attempting to bail places out.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnightFire
a reply to: DigitalVigilante420

No I wouldn't work for free and I'm not saying they should. I'm just saying if they are shutting the schools down due to a "Sick Out" they shouldn't get paid unless, some sort of vacation time is used so they can get paid.

It is sad that the whole community suffers from this nonsense.

And yes, teachers need to eat to and I am a teacher support because I have family that are teachers, but common sense has to play a part into this whole mess.

I wholeheartedly disagree. IMO all employees everywhere should receive paid sick time. I worked a miserable minimum wage job in fast food for almost 10 years with no sick time available at all, and it sucked. I appreciate the job I have now that does have it.

In fact I was threatened with firing at my last job when I got the seasonal flu and couldn't show up to work 3 days in a row. Can you imagine? Someone who is vomiting, sweating, has diarrhea, can only barely stand up for the weakness and headaches, forced to come into work to make your sandwiches because he doesn't get sick time? That's what happened to me.

This protest is worker's rights in action. I applaud these teachers for having the balls to protest a corrupt city government that has completely mis-managed taxpayer funds and likely doesn't have enough money to pay them. Also the idea that they could just fire and replace all the teachers working at inner city Detroit schools for less money - that's laughable. Good luck with that.

We only have a minimum wage and 40 hour work weeks because of unions, and those of us lucky enough to have salaries and paid sick time, only have them because of unions. It disgusts me the amount of hate they get these days. If you want to work in a sweat shop for pennies a day, please go move to China. I'm glad we have unions, and IMO we need more of them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join