It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS, CNN: Kasich...out

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
So, I just saw a tweet from CBS news that said Kasich's campaign manager said Kasich would be suspending his campaign.

The press conference that was supposed to take place has apparently been postponed, with Kasich giving a press conference this afernoon.

when he announced a press conference Wednesday it garnered some attention to his long overshadowed campaign.

But things got off to a rough start when officials at the private plane terminal in Dulles asked journalists not to air live shots of the event.

In a live stream posted by local NBC affiliate King 5, a woman could be seen asking journalists not to set up live shots, saying the terminal was allowing Kasich to hold his press conference there “as a courtesy.”

Link

Now, a quick Google search as of a few minutes ago only has headlines from a few hours at earliest, and all mention Kasich staying in the race.

There really is no way he can secure the nomination, and I doubt he wants to hand it over to Trump, so I'm curious to see if he drops out (since there was a quote that he is not on Trumps VP shortlist) and hands the nomination to Trump...

And now other tweets are coming in from Media saying he will, indeed, drop out, although it's not official yet.

Interesting.

ETA: More stuff coming in:

John Kasich is dropping out of the Republican presidential race, two sources familiar with the plan confirmed to CNN.
Link
edit on 4-5-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Yep just announced on my local station.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Sure.

Why keep peeing away money on a useless issue.

Kasich and Cruz made fools of themselves.

Won't be easy to recover now.

I think the big money donors decided to shift into another agenda.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Kasich, though I liked some of the things he said, he needs to not be a lingerer, Trump has the nomination for sure, and I wouldn't be so quick to say he won't go on and win the general election as well..

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I wonder what will happen to Kasich's and Cruz's pledged delegates. In doing a cursory look, it sounds like when a campaign is "suspended" the candidate can designate their delegates go to another candidate. I can't see Kasich or Cruz designating theirs to Trump.

edit on 4-5-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Kasich, though I liked some of the things he said, he needs to not be a lingerer, Trump has the nomination for sure, and I wouldn't be so quick to say he won't go on and win the general election as well..

Hillary has to get Bernie out and win the nom, first!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

When the primary season first started, Kasich was the only one (with the exception of maybe Carson) who sounded...sane, and reasonable on the Republican side.

True, there is no reason for him to stay in because he...can't win, unless something happened to Trump.

Trump it is, I suppose.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

I wonder what will happen to Kasich's and Cruz's (and anyone else's) pledged delegates. In doing a cursory look, it sounds like when a campaign is "suspended" the candidate can designate their delegates go to another candidate. I can't see Kasich or Cruz designating theirs to Trump.

Trump won't need their delegates.

He will easily make 1237 now, without ted and john.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Interesting question, but if Trump gets 1237 on his own, which it appears now he will, it won't make much difference what they do with their delegates.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Oh Boy.

Welcome to 'Murica.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

I wonder what will happen to Kasich's and Cruz's (and anyone else's) pledged delegates. In doing a cursory look, it sounds like when a campaign is "suspended" the candidate can designate their delegates go to another candidate. I can't see Kasich or Cruz designating theirs to Trump.

I am no expert on how the process works after a campaign is "suspended." But it sounds like both Cruz's and Kasich's names will appear on the remaining ballots until their campaigns have formally ended.

So it's conceivable that Trump doesn't get that 1237, right?

ETA: This is what I was reading--

Under election law, the term “suspend” has no formal meaning. The Federal Election Commission still considers candidates who have suspended their campaign to be running. The FEC won’t formally recognize the termination of a campaign until candidates have paid off all of their debts and obligations and agree not to receive any more contributions. Until then, the candidate is still running and will still appear on ballots.

Link
edit on 4-5-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I wonder what will happen to Kasich's and Cruz's pledged delegates. In doing a cursory look, it sounds like when a campaign is "suspended" the candidate can designate their delegates go to another candidate. I can't see Kasich or Cruz designating theirs to Trump.

They can't "designate" to anyone. The Rules state they can "Free them" once they do, in theory the delegates can choose whomever they want. In the past, candidates have "recommended" their delegates choose a particular candidate.

In any sense, Without competition, Trump will win all of the rest of the delegates and will only need one vote in each state to do so, so he gets to the 1,237 easily. I suspect all the remaining candidates will "free" their delegates and Trump will end up with 2,000+ delegates in Cleveland like the front runner of prior years.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

I am no expert on how the process works after a campaign is "suspended." But it sounds like both Cruz's and Kasich's names will appear on the remaining ballots until their campaigns have formally ended.

So it's conceivable that Trump doesn't get that 1237, right?

Yeah, it's possible. But without them on the ground....

The momentum for Trump was kicked into high gear after they folded.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It's a shame that the only voice of reason on the GOP ticket has thrown in the towel. The next six months are going to be interesting. Nothing quite like a Trump/Clinton caged death match.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

They can't "designate" to anyone. The Rules state they can "Free them" once they do, in theory the delegates can choose whomever they want. In the past, candidates have "recommended" their delegates choose a particular candidate.

In any sense, Without competition, Trump will win all of the rest of the delegates and will only need one vote in each state to do so, so he gets to the 1,237 easily. I suspect all the remaining candidates will "free" their delegates and Trump will end up with 2,000+ delegates in Cleveland like the front runner of prior years.

That's not what this says:

Candidates who suspend their campaigns also still hold on to their pledged delegates and are able to direct those votes to one of the other candidates — a potentially powerful bargaining chip. Candidates who completely drop out of a race must forfeit any delegates they have.

The key is that word "suspend" versus formally "ending" a campaign.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I have always wondered why they "suspend" versus end, and this could very well be the strategic reasoning.

And it makes sense.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Ominous, what?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy Yeah thanks but this thread has nothing to do with Bernie and his comment had nothing to do with Bernie. Hey, but at least you didn't insult anyone, that's unusual for a Bernie supporter.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Bye Bye Kasich. You won't be missed.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Does this mean Cruz is going to come back?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join