It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

whats really going on

page: 1

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:38 AM
why is real fire light better than artificial light when comes to finding things in the darkness of night.

for instance

i droped a smoke in complete darkness of my back yard i used my laptop bright light to find it hours later(it was my last) and was able tp luminate the area of a beach ball depending on how far i was away from the ground and found nothing(i did get close as to intensify light on a smaller area but did cover the entire area of were it could of been) and no dice,

I then took my lighter(bic) and lite the same area and there it was ready for me to smoke

why does lower brightness give me what i was looking for.

just want to hear the science

phage im looking at you

and btw put here because in gray area because apparently rants easily get ran over by shills

and yes i am wasted but not much as i would like
edit on 4-5-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:49 AM
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

What else should I have expected to find logging on at 4:48am, a long-lost treatise by Einstein?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:56 AM
a reply to: Aliensun

sorry dude i figured i would give u guys somthing more real then fake political talk and bathroom prcedure

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 06:03 AM
Why would you use your laptop like a flashlight? Isn't this what cell phones are for?

I'd like to say the bic worked better cause your brain went all "neanderthal" primitive and your cig stood out immediately.
Unfortunately it's probably more like different wave lengths of light, something-something the cones & rods in your eyes, more something-something scientific.

Or it was just hella less awkward using your lighter.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 07:46 AM
I wonder if just before you found it you were getting increasingly desperate for a smoke, so your nose went into overdrive and you sniffed it out.

The fact that you'd just changed your method of lighting the area was entirely coincidental.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:01 AM
I'm not the brightest star in the sky, but if I had to guess, my guess would be that the flame does not make your iris constrict as much as your artificial lighting does. Since most of us don't have night vision, the small flame illuminated enough of the ground for your irises to expand enough to see the illumination and the "smoke". SWAG.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:15 AM

thanks guys these all sound like real things now that im not drunk in the middle of the night in the darlk fiending for a stooge

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:38 PM

My 3-part theory on why this might be:

1) The "dancing" of the flame provides greater depth/perspective, due to lighting & shadowing from varying angles, as opposed to an artificial light which passes more "smoothly" over an area.

2) Contrast - the blindingly bright white light of a laptop will drown out relatively subtle differences. Instead of dark green grass with say a dark blue lighter nestled in the blades, you see a blindingly bright white light shining on a dark surface (the grass, etc.)

3) Pupil constriction - A brighter light in the dark, such as a laptop light, is "too bright", reducing your 'night-vision' by constricting your pupils. Everything outside of the immediate circle of light just looks black.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:53 PM

Your eyes also triangulate. On uneven ground with a flat, steady light, all you are really going to pick up is the unevenness of the ground. Too much to look at.

Switch to a flickering light tends to "smooth out" that effect. You then switch to a different strategy and look for different colors. Then you find your 'g'rette lying right there.

new topics

top topics