It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead could be brought 'back to life' in groundbreaking project

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I agree, so much to see, to learn, to experience. So much to this life, there simply isn't enough time to do it all, on top of simply trying to live.

I do wish we had extended lifetimes, a few thousand years, at least. Imagine the amounts of knowledge, and wisdom, and experiences that could be compounded in just one person over such a time. Now multiply that by billions, and then see where it leads. Much more stimulating, then the average of 80 years, and most of those spent just scraping out an existence, instead of actually living.

Exactly.

I barely even consider most lifestyles as "living"; more like simply "surviving". But our possibilities are nearly limitless, especially when we factor in new technologies and innovations. I'd love to be able to glimpse 200 years into the future. Though I have to admit, if humans hadn't set up stations throughout the solar system by then, I'd probably snap. We needlessly limit ourselves far too much.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   
How is the reanimated person to have any choice in the matter?

They may be currently brain dead and it could be argued, I suppose, that the experimentation is taking place on a corpse. So where's the problem?

Well, for one thing the person concerned might have preferred a proper funeral and to have their remains treated with dignity.

For another, what if the procedure works in some fashion? Any volunteers to be the first reanimated corpse? Because who knows the difficulties that could be encountered?

The person could be condemned to a lifetime of a condition resembling dementia or perhaps their physical coordination will be impaired.

Will it then be ethical to 'pull the plug' on them?

Speaking for myself, I'd rather go peacefully. And if any friend found it so hard to let me go that they pushed for me to be reanimated, I wouldn't consider them a friend.

I better get a tattoo that says 'Do not reanimate under any circumstances'.

edit on 4-5-2016 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
Dead could be brought 'back to life' in groundbreaking project

A) Obviously the Zombie Apocalypse is upon us!
B) Isn't it interesting that people (in Hell) who cannot think of anything to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon want to 'Live Forever' (tm)!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

Yes,that is what "death" means to me,possibilities.In this incarnation here and now so many of us are prisoners.But that too will end on our passing from this place.The challenge is to find as much happiness here as one can.As one ages i think in general one usually gains more gratitude for the simple things,and more enjoyment of them,also strength,and the ability to laugh at oneself and one's foibles and misfortunes.I suspect its the unknown that people fear about "death" rather than the passing itself.And in most countries and cultures people are so conditioned from childhood to see "death" as only a sad,morbid,vastly scary and negative thing.I love the way Mexicans celebrate it,they seem to realise it is only a doorway to another subsequent stage of life.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: berenike

I think you'd be surprised. There's a very common saying among rulers and conquerors, that no man can conquer time. That's why it's usually the uber-powerful who seek the secrets of immortality. I can guarantee you there would be many people lining up to be reanimated if the process was already proven, especially those with a lot to lose through death.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to enlightenedservant

One might expect the rich and powerful to agree to the process once 'the process was already proven'.

How keen might they be to become the first Guinea Pig though? What a can of worms that could open up.

A rich man might start paying his minions to undergo the process first. After all, the poor can already sell a kidney.

I better not get to far into the realms of 'what if' but I've noticed that if something can be done, no matter how unethical, someone will be prepared to do it.
edit on 4-5-2016 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

word..

maybe the soul can return back into the body and mind once again.. like after a coma..?

but yea, this whole thing doesn't seem right anyway- death should be honored and celebrated, for the soul will return to source in preparation for the next incarnation, hopefully in a higher density

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: Cygnis

I agree, so much to see, to learn, to experience. So much to this life, there simply isn't enough time to do it all, on top of simply trying to live.

I do wish we had extended lifetimes, a few thousand years, at least. Imagine the amounts of knowledge, and wisdom, and experiences that could be compounded in just one person over such a time. Now multiply that by billions, and then see where it leads. Much more stimulating, then the average of 80 years, and most of those spent just scraping out an existence, instead of actually living.

Exactly.

I barely even consider most lifestyles as "living"; more like simply "surviving". But our possibilities are nearly limitless, especially when we factor in new technologies and innovations. I'd love to be able to glimpse 200 years into the future. Though I have to admit, if humans hadn't set up stations throughout the solar system by then, I'd probably snap. We needlessly limit ourselves far too much.

It used to be, there was a lot less "self-limiting" because things were simpler. I have several "old" timer friends (late 70's and 80's ) who traveled the world with impunity, with a simple bag on there shoulder, and a pocket of cash they would earn by simply doing chores around a town for a day..

I am not certain how well that would work in this day and age.

As far as space, yes, I agree, we should be pushing that envelope edge as much as possible, not regressing. Would be interesting to wake up and look out the window on a moon orbiting Jupiter or Saturn, or even on Mars, some day.

Sadly, man's love of money, or need of it in most cases, is what limits most.. Is it the money, or is it the greed..

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane

Yes,that is what "death" means to me,possibilities.In this incarnation here and now so many of us are prisoners.But that too will end on our passing from this place.The challenge is to find as much happiness here as one can.As one ages i think in general one usually gains more gratitude for the simple things,and more enjoyment of them,also strength,and the ability to laugh at oneself and one's foibles and misfortunes.I suspect its the unknown that people fear about "death" rather than the passing itself.And in most countries and cultures people are so conditioned from childhood to see "death" as only a sad,morbid,vastly scary and negative thing.I love the way Mexicans celebrate it,they seem to realise it is only a doorway to another subsequent stage of life.

It's not so much a challenge, as it is a perspective, to find happiness. The majority look to things to make them happy, rather then understanding, it is themselves that can accomplish that simply by realizing that things don't mean anything. My smartphone, or my computer, or even my wood shop tools don't make me happy. It is what I do with them, and the time I spend with people I love and care about that makes me happy.

Death isn't to be feared, imo, tho I don't welcome it either.

My grandmother always said "If you can't laugh, especially at yourself, your better off dead, no one has a happy life without a good sense of humor."

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
a reply to enlightenedservant

One might expect the rich and powerful to agree to the process once 'the process was already proven'.

How keen might they be to become the first Guinea Pig though? What a can of worms that could open up.

A rich man might start paying his minions to undergo the process first. After all, the poor can already sell a kidney.

I better not get to far into the realms of 'what if' but I've noticed that if something can be done, no matter how unethical, someone will be prepared to do it.

Actually, you're probably looking in the wrong direction. Why assume it would be the wealthy who would volunteer to be the original guinea pigs? Or even more direct: why assume it would be "volunteers" in the first place? Societies have done horrific experiments on their poor, their orphans, their homeless, and their prisoners. Even many of today's vaccines and medical treatments are tested in poor markets first (like the HIV/AIDS drugs in many African countries).

note: I'm not saying this is a good thing. Just pointing out that these "tests" could be going on right now and most people wouldn't even care to look, as long as they happened in poor regions or on "socially undesirable" demographics.
edit on 4-5-2016 by enlightenedservant because: typo - looked instead of looking

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

That's not quite what I meant.

I asked how keen the rich would be to be the Guinea Pigs with what I thought was an indication that they wouldn't be keen at all. Hence my suggestion that they would pay the poor to agree to be experimented on.

I ended my post by saying I didn't want to get into the realms of 'what if' because, much as what you suggest had occurred to me, it's just speculation and I didn't want to go further down that road.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
So you are alert and conscious in a body that is unable to support life on it's on. Doesn't sound that great to me.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I can not understand why people are in general so terrified of leaving this terrible place.I mean we have bacon here,i get that, but damn..i just do not Get this horrific fear of passing from here..

I don't think it's fear of leaving exactly. Sure, fear of the unknown (or even emptiness/nothingness) is an aspect, but I think it's addiction. Life is pretty amazing. Even most who are miserable want to keep getting more of it.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

The reason the body can't support life on its own is because the brain is "dead." If this were to work, the brain could go back to operating the body.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I understand that... The brain directs the body to do everything, of course, which is why people with profound mental retardation don't survive long... the brain is so inadequate in some cases it is unable to even signal the body to carry out a simple reflex such as breathing.

But I'm saying sometimes an organ is damaged beyond all help....... the brain might tell the body to breathe, but if the lungs are in a severely diseased state, they won't be able to follow through.

*I think I'm off and running in another direction then the actual topic! Need more coffee. Maybe it will jump-start my own half-functioning brain this morning.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
Population growth will explode but things like space colonization will help buffer any explosion in population growth.

Let's be honest, only the richest of the rich will be getting this treatment, if it works.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Humans not dying will be very counter-productive for evolution. Humans need to die to propel the human race forward!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
When I first looked at this headline I though Oh God no, but once I read through and saw it was for brain-dead people that of course is different.

However, on recent personal experience of a someone who died for over 12 minutes and the struggle they have had after they awoke from the coma the hospital put them in, I wonder if this is going to be all its hoped for?

The guy has been conscious now for nearly 6 months and it has been a struggle. He has no short term memory, can remember things that happened when he was young, but its doubtful he will ever be able to deal with his own affairs, work again and get his memory back. Odd people have said its still early days, but several doctors has expressed doubt that munch more can be done. So what about people who have lain in this state for longer?

I wish them well and hope the best but if only 12 minutes odd can destroy so much of the brain's normal memory whatever would a longer time in coma do? I wonder if this isn't going to give false hope, I hope not for the loved ones and the souls locked in this position.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

If the body is only being kept alive artificially and the person is clinically dead-that means the person-the soul,the invisible energy that we are-has left the fleshly conveyance,the body i.e the mere meat.What they could Maybe succeed in re-animating in some cases,will be a strange empty thing.

Yes it would not be the person that died, so what is the use of reanimating the body?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

What will happen to DNR's if they can start reviving people who are brain dead?

If it could be used instead to help the brain damaged living. My grand niece was a blue baby, such a beautiful teen girl but never been able to walk and many other things just because of bad care during birth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join