It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 reasons mosquitoes bite some people more than others

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

I am so glad you posted this. I want to keep mosquitoes away from my house and yard, especially in regard to the quick spread of Zika. I was actually looking on the net for solutions both natural and chemical today.

I found organic/non toxic sprays that can last up to a year on large yards for 9.99 at target. I found the permethrin infused items. I found the bracelets. I found plants that can be grown in a windowsill that repel mosquitoes. Geranium and citronella oil. Hanging ribbons in windows, doors and outside on fans and putting drops of these oils on the ribbons.

I had not known about Vit B6. i will be getting some. TY

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I always thought that too, that mosquitoes did not bite me but then ...

One time I returned from overseas and went to a Centre for Tropical Diseases to see if I had picked up any nasty bugs on my time away. The doctor was very disappointed that I was healthy, seriously!

And when I said that I had not been bitten much by mosquitoes but people around me had, he said this was a fallacy and that everyone gets bitten, just some people do not react so much.

Not sure if that is actually true, but I can well believe it as I see some people with huge swellings, and when I do get bitten, sometimes it itches for just a few seconds - so sometimes I may be bitten and not even be aware of you.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I'm the nonsecreter type, FUT2 covers that. I am A type blood. I am not so bothered by mosquitoes unless I take a hot shower right before going out. I learned that years ago. Taking a shower right before going to an outside party in the summer was a no no. Take the shower at least six hours before going out and it is safe.

Mosquitoes do not have to inject the stuff that makes you itch and puff up. Some do it and others don't, you do not even know they bite if they do not use that stuff. No swelling or bump either. I guess it is just the attitude of the mosquito that is important, if they feel like making you suffer they can. I do lots outside and I noticed that and researched it. I am impressed how much they have researched things, I keep thinking I might discover something only to find it is well known by some people.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Citronella actually attracts mosquitoes from up to five hundred feet away but when they get real close it overwhelms them and they do not go closer.

So if you want to clear out people at a gathering, put citronella bug repellent on and it will draw the mosquitoes close and everyone else will leave.

If you don't believe me, look it up, there are many articles on how it works.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Run a pair of high frequency piezoelectric emitters at 20,050hz at around 500mw each. You can use an icl8038 frequency generator and a pair of lm386 amps. Just need a 9vdc battery as a power source ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I grew up in rural Ontario Canada. Thick with mosquitoes, black flies horseflies plus the stingers. Bees, who I never had a problem with, hornets. Wasps. Yellowjackets, etc.
It was pointed out by a coworker many years ago that I don't attract mosquitoes. Mostly because he was covered in welts and I didn't have a spot on me.
I soon came to the answer being, (non-scientificly,) that something in my scent had evolved in a sense. A lifetime in the bush assaulted by bugs, my body had built a defence of sorts. I have a few good tips too that could help you in bug country.
edit on 3-5-2016 by ThickAsABrick because: Typo

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ThickAsABrick

THANKS to all for your kind replies.

Please, Thick, share your tips!

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Tips:

Population control
Natural Predators
In many parts of North America there are programs to promote and reintroduce bats in many areas. What do bats eat? That's right, Bugs. Plus you can play with them which is awesome. They're nature's RC stunt aircraft.

Also, the dragonfly. Another mosquito muncher, they can be released as people do with ladybugs, and clear a place out pretty efficiently. Though I'm not sure of the feasibility given different regions. They released a few thousand at the Winnipeg Folk Music Festival a few years ago, (Winnipeg gets mosquitoes thick, if you haven't heard.) While I wasn't there, I was told by different, unassociated witnesses that the weekend was skeeter free, and the colourful friendly dragonflies added to a great show.

Technology
The most effective device I've heard of was invented by a farmer in Manitoba. In an open area, he oriented an old satellite dish much like a bird bath, filled it with water, added dish soap and then hung a black light over it.
The black light causes the phosphorus in the dish soap to glow, becoming a beacon to all egg bearing female mosquitoes in a very large area. They then land on the soapy water to lay their eggs but then cannot leave due to the altered surface tension, and so drown.

For a day trip? Light coloured clothing does help. Avoid brown or darker green, to a mosquito darker colours are a trigger, look at the colours of the local mammal wildlife. That's the steady diet for mosquitoes, and what they home in on. Light greens and yellow attract other bugs, some stingers plus some that are harmless but can be annoying. Blue and white seem to work good.

THE NUMBER ONE Tip

Avoid anything scented. Avoid any soaps or detergents with perfume. Avoid perfume altogether including pit stick. Unless you're really dirty greasy, all you really need is a dip in the water.
edit on 3-5-2016 by ThickAsABrick because: Typo

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Thanks much.

Loved the dragonfly solution.

And the soapy water solution.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Oh and I forgot wood smoke, it clears a small area, and will permeate you and your clothes to neutralize your odours. Plus it makes Monday back at work fun. People: *sniff *, "Oh, you've been camping?" Kind of like Kramer's The Beach
youtu.be...

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

i doknow that me and my children dont get bit much and i believe we are immune to poison oak(i have never had it, and my chillin have not either and we have spent are time in the woods) and we are a native mix with euro blood mostly german. i do know my kids dont drink beer and usally wear shorts and a t shirt as far as rest its unknown i know im some sort of o blod type thats it

i am interested in this thread,

for instance if i was to go to asiawould the differnt skeeters like me cause im not native?

i now think bugs can be racist

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

Actually the bites
i get react differently. In Europe it's just a tiny red dot.
in the US small bite. In Asia and Australia I get large reactions that infect and make me hideous.
I am not an animal.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

my old lady spent time in korea and she spoke of some monster skeeters, maybe we just weak ones in america

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

Asian mosquitoes had no trouble finding me unless I was taking the Vitamin B6--which I did rather quickly--though it took a while to build up to be maximally effective.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Bathe infrequently.
Drink a steady healthy dose of booze.
Stand down wind from wood fires.
They don't really mess with me much.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   

I came across an interesting device in the DIY shop - it generates and emits CO2 which irresistibly attracts skeeters and they would fly straight into the device. Once inside, they can't get out and will eventually die from dehydration. Clean and cheap to operate for it consumes just a little electricity so it can left on all day and night.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rextiberius

I came across an interesting device in the DIY shop - it generates and emits CO2 which irresistibly attracts skeeters and they would fly straight into the device. Once inside, they can't get out and will eventually die from dehydration. Clean and cheap to operate for it consumes just a little electricity so it can left on all day and night.

Thanks. Will try and track it down.

Much appreciated.

Thanks to all y'all's responses.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I remember sharing a hotel room with a friend on holidays. They would wakeup full of bites and I would be completely bite free. I think my blood must be poisonous to them as I actually watched one bite me take its feed and die afterwards, who knows maybe I have acid blood like an alien lol

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I don't have much experience with the CO2 producers, but the ones I've seen involve a propane tank and a battery operated fan. So one would have to be careful where they place it, outdoors only and stock up with batteries.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Sounds like there would be a safety issue, alright.

What a choice . . . zonked by Dengue Fever or a propane take accident! LOL.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join