It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 reasons mosquitoes bite some people more than others

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Melissa Breyer (@MelissaBreyer) 2 MAY 2016 at treehugger

[This is the BEST article on mosquitoes I've EVER read. More practical facts than I've seen before]

www.treehugger.com...

Are you a mecca for mosquitoes? Understanding what lures the insidious insects can be useful in avoiding them.
Zika, West Nile, Malaria, Dengue … the disconcerting catalog of illnesses spread by the flying disease-delivery vehicles known as mosquitoes is an ever expanding thing. And along with vector-borne diseases, mosquitoes and their diabolic hypodermic mouthparts offer no shortage of itchy welts, meanwhile their crazy-making hum can keep the soundest of sleepers swatting at their faces all night.
. . .
1. Apparel
2. Blood type
It’s all about the blood for mosquitoes; well that and nectar. Adult mosquitoes survive on nectar for nourishment, but females rely on the protein in our blood for the production of eggs. So it’s little surprise that some blood types may be more desirable than others. Research has found, in fact, that people with Type O blood are found to be twice as attractive to mosquitoes than those with Type A blood; Type B people were in the middle. In addition, 85 percent of people produce a secretion that signals what blood type they are; mosquitoes are drawn to those 85 percent more than the non-secretors, regardless of blood type.
3. Gas
4. Heat and sweat
7. Beer
. . .

I've always been a magnet for mosquitoes. Then I obsessively scratch the bites. Ugh.

In Asia, it was a bigger issue with Dengue Fever etc. Thankfully, I learned that taking Vitamin B6 at least a month ahead of time and faithfully, left me smelling unattractive to most mosquitoes. It's pretty effective. Occasionally one hasn't gotten that message but mostly it's pretty effective. Which reminds me, I'm a little late starting on it this season.
There are purportedly some hazards with some of the repellents. I don't recall why. Might be good to research it.
Anyway--I hope this makes some folks' summer a bit more manageable regarding mosquitoes.
Cheers.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
They slaughter me.

I wish I could smite them from this earth.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Eating garlic is a good way to keep any blood suckers away.

Garlic in the blood is a effective repellent against mosquito, ticks, mittens and such.

Oh it also keeps vampires away, not a bad thing

edit on 3-5-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN Ah, thank you for this information. They are starting to come out and about in my area. I think I'm in the middle area for blood types that the buggy pests like, but I hate them when they are doing there thing and biting me, nonetheless.
I'll have to try the b-6 vitamin, I'll probably get a complete b-vitamins supplement and see how it goes.
I'm guessing the gas listed on the list is of the too many beans variety? I'll have to read the full article another time.
Thanks for the OP!😊

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

I eat Garlic like a Roman centurion.

No joy

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

I've heard that B6 in a combination is not as effective. I don't know for sure.

I think the garlic thing is effective. Rain on what other people think.

I too, would like to smite them from the earth.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I feel you, it sucks...literally.

I wasn't lying though.
SOURCE

Garlic actually repels mosquitoes, but not from garlic breath. If you have a high allicin (garlic's active anti-microbial ingredient) blood count, mosquitoes will refuse to engage with your blood.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Does it repel the critter in your avatar, too?

Hopefully!

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I have found diabetes also seems to be on the side of attracting them. (personal Experience not medical opinion)

But a good note also from the experience side, Avon skin so soft works like a charm, Coupled with Garlic you can almost pull off the Tent of skeeters trick with out getting bit.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
They dont like me at all, havent been bitten for many many years, maybe I could sell my blood?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

It's my fear, i look it in the eyes every day, keeps nightmares with spiders away, i suffered with those for a long time.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Mozzies bitterly seldom drink me.I have B Neg blood group,like to have a Heinie or two on a hot summer day,and in this region it is ridiculously humid all summer long,so one sweats a lot.Still they tend to leave me alone.Fleas bite me all the time though.Well i sleep with a Fox Terrier and several cats on my bed most nights,so thats begging for it.I've always wondered why mozzies don't find me appetizing though-my daughter has B Neg blood too and they dine on her with great relishe,also on the hubby(A+) and my son(O -)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

My stepdad had hepatitis in the Navy and he was the same way. They left him alone.

Gads it was miserable all my growing up. A swamp was just below our house in the river bottom. They all seemed to know where to find me.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I think I have a homing beacon that attracts mosquitoes and yellow jackets (allergic to them).

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

There are purportedly some hazards with some of the repellents. I don't recall why. Might be good to research it.

As memory serves: they are a nerve agent. Yeah ... the kind used in unrestricted warfare. LOL

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

8th reason mosquitoes bite: skin bacteria

As it turns out, how attractive you are to a mosquito might have less to do with how your blood tastes and more to do with how you smell.

There are a trillion or so microbes that live on our skin that play a huge role in body odor. Without those bacteria, human sweat wouldn't smell like anything.
www.businessinsider.com...

ETA; Its Kinda related to sweat and beer like mentioned in your article.

edit on 3-5-2016 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

As memory serves: they are a nerve agent. Yeah ... the kind used in unrestricted warfare. LOL

I heard bug spray will ruin a car's paint job. I know it kills grass from experience.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoBaZ
I have found diabetes also seems to be on the side of attracting them. (personal Experience not medical opinion)

But a good note also from the experience side, Avon skin so soft works like a charm, Coupled with Garlic you can almost pull off the Tent of skeeters trick with out getting bit.

I had forgotten about Avon Soft Skin. ty

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I don't know if i'm a "MECCA" for mosquitoes, but i would love to box them ALL up and post them to: c/- grand mosque, MECCA, SAUDI ARABIA....sorry but i forgot the postcode!!.....

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt

originally posted by: Snarl

I heard bug spray will ruin a car's paint job. I know it kills grass from experience.

It depends on what one you buy. Permethrin is the most common one and you can spray it on yourself, on clothing and on pets. Though there is normally a vet store one for pets since they tend to lick their fur.You should not lick permethrin lol.

There are many organic/non toxic brands readily available at target and wal mart to treat indoors and out.

There are bracelets to wear that can be found on the net for $10 for a 20 pak. There was a groupon about a week ago.

There are blankets, lothing and tents already infused with permethrin, usually good for 25 washings (for lothes and blankets), less for tents, I think if in heavy rain a lot.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join