It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toddlers have shot at least 23 people this year

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
While I'm supportive of criminal responsibility for the parents, realistically, that number is never going to be zero in a society where the numbers of firearms and firearms owners is each a 9 digit number. Its just an unfortunate reality of having a potentially dangerous item around the house, whether its a firearm, a knife, a swimming pool, a bicycle or the kitchen cleaner under the sink. You're never going to eliminate it completely, and in this case, even if the incidence rate is one for every million gun owners, it still happens a hundred times per year.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
All of my weapons are kept in my safe and all weapons small enough for children play with has a safety lock. My grandchildren play here all the time with absolutely no problem. Only irresponsible people leave firearms laying around to put children in danger.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'm curious as to why these people would leave their guns where children can get at them. Not locked up or at least with a trigger lock when not in use.

The other thing is just how low do they have the trigger tension set? My limited experience in the military, I found the 9mm they issued a bit painful to shoot when practicing. I think the springs installed were set at almost 10lbs, so you had to pull like you meant it. To have something a toddler can work easily, it's got to be way at the bottom. A featherweight trigger might be nice on a firing range, but for safety it really should be somewhat higher than that.

So can't blame the toddlers, but the stupidity of parents or relatives creating this situation in the first place. Just not responsible with a firearm.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
a reply to: namelesss

Toddler 1 to3 years old.

Toddler; My one year old granddaughter van already operate a cell phone, though has no intelligible language skills, can use a tablet, finding different pages, operating features.
She sees how doors and cabinets are latched and locked and is building a ramp to them to try her skills...
It goes on and on!
I suggest that any appropriately technically literate 'toddler' can, before age 6, get into daddy's 'kid proof' box and figure/hack any code that Billy Bob can ever remember!
Yeah, when I was a toddler, all I did was 'toddle', and get hauled out for sacrifices.
Most toddlers are VERY intuitive, until we 'lower' them...

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I am willing to bet although I haven't read all the stories that the mother is to blame in almost all the stories. As most I have read have been mother shot and or killed. Tell you how it happens, women tend to keep handguns in purses not holstered and imho the worst place for any gun to be. Ever peer into a purse and see the udder chaos going on in there as well as they always seem to be left open sliding around and under seats in cars.... When a handgun is properly holstered ain't no one getting ahold of it without your consent or accidentally discharging it unless you have bad finger control when holstering un holstering.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Has no one considered that they might not be accidents?

Look at Stewie, he's been trying to kill Lois forever.

Sorry, I'm a sick puppy.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Shooting the dog does change the fact that gun are laying around like loose change. They are easy to steal. Often they are loaded. Some hand guns have no safety switch. If you are carrying them for protection you would not put a trigger lock on correct?

My issue is "laying around like loose change" aspect. If that be could addressed it would reduce thefts, reduce some of the accidents. Etc.

I do not think this an out ragious suggestion.

For the record I shoot too.
edit on 17-3-2017 by SmilingROB because: Grammer

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Stewie going to rule the world.
That was clear from the start.

I watch him kill his mom last week.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Yes I agree that free roaming kids can cause trouble.
The problem is they can roam free in a field of guns.

Please forgive the hyperbole. I could not resist.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I agree but it not happening consisantantly.
The freedom to bear arms does not infer freedom to leave them laying around loaded.

Is that too much to ask?

I agree that there are many people doing a reasonable job of gun safety because the numbers would be much worse if they weren't.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

It not happening consistently.
And we all know a some body with a dangerous attitude towards guns.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SmilingROB

Define "laying around". That's a rather general term.

If you mean laying on the couch where anyone, including those rascally toddlers, can accidentally get a hold of it...then we're in total agreement.

Up out of reach of kids too young to understand just yet, and teaching older kids that they're off limits...period, doesn't equal laying around.

Actually, I don't. Or if my friends who are shooters have such attitudes, I'm not aware of it.

edit on 3/17/2017 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Oddly i find that funny.
Second line.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

First example from the origanal post "laying around on the back seat of the car where a toddler reached it and used it .

Is that sufficient example of poor gun storage?
53 time this year. It's March . Let see 4 x 53 we are on a pace for 212 accident involving children in one year.

I do not feel that I am being unreasonable nor am exagerating.

Please just store safety any gun you are current carrying. Is that too much ask? You can have your favorite hiding spot , locked in the glove box what ever.

I have to go to work now .

The small change of safer storage will save lives and reduce the numbers guns in criminal hands. Two benifits right of the top.

I am not even suggest reducing the number of guns.
The issue being discussed is kids and guns. We cannot blame the kids if mom leaves her shooter in the back seat.

I'll be back in 9 hours.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

Thank you for your positive comment.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

We are on the same page. Thank you for supporting a simple safety suggestion.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

You run with a good crowd. I glad you and your friends play safe.

I know too many with a bad attitude and I admit it sway my position.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

For the most part my crowd/posse are an older lot, as I am, and most have been there, done that, and have the scars to prove it.

For pure enjoyment on your part.

My usual gun range crowd consists of: One former French Foreign legionnaire--saw combat in Tunisia in the 60's, before coming to the US. Two former USMC Korean war vets--uber nice guys. The others all either Vietnam veterans, or Gulf War. There's about nine of us. Then there's me...life long civilian--though I am an Air Force brat. Needless to say, I stick out like a sore thumb. I'm the baby of the bunch at 53.

But the stories are incredible! Especially Mike--he's the legionnaire--his stories will curl your hair. If you don't have any, they'll regrow it, then curl it--amazing, funny, many times horrific, never dull. Even after hearing 'em half a dozen times
. His stories are as good as his shooting, and that's amazing.

I'm going to be hanging out at the range with 'em tomorrow, in fact. Hopefully, it's not too wet. Every one of us have creaky joints that don't handle the wet like they used to.

I'm moving in a few months, and I'll miss 'em.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
How many refugees fleeing war and famine have shot people in the US so far this year?

And what are you lot doing about it?

(Has to be said)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

Which lot are you referencing?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join