It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

American Airmen Catch Children Dropped From Burning Building in S. Korea

page: 1

+4 more 
posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:27 PM
This past Saturday in Pyeongtaek, South Korea, US airmen who happened to be passing by on the street, saved three small children and their 30 year-old mother from the fourth story of a burning building. As smoke billowed from the window, the woman was forced to drop her children one at a time from the window of the burning building before she herself jumped.

CNN - Mother, 3 children fall from burning building in incredible escape

U.S. Air Force Master Sgt. Daniel Raimondo told CNN he was walking to dinner Saturday when he saw clouds of smoke and set off in that direction."

On assessing the scene, he and a colleague discussed how to help and resolved to get some blankets from a nearby store.

They corralled others to help hold the blankets, then tried to persuade the mother to drop her children to safety.

First Sgt. Melanie Scott said the woman was understandably reluctant to let go of her children, ages 1, 3 and 4.

"You could tell she was scared. She didn't want to." Raimondo said that the "last baby was the most difficult in my eyes, she just wouldn't let her go for some reason."

He said he repeatedly begged the mother: "Please just throw the baby down!"

"I remember her screaming (at) the baby, 'I love you, I love you. ...' Next thing you know she dropped the baby."

The woman fell more heavily than the children and hit the ground beneath the blanket, but someone had had the foresight to put cushions underneath it, he said.

All members of the family were uninjured except for the mother suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation. The airmen were from nearby Osan AFB which happens to be where my older brother was first stationed out of tech school some 25 or so years ago. The family, originally from Nigeria, met with airmen on Monday to thank them.

What a great story. Hat's off to these airmen for their quick thinking!

edit on 2016-5-3 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:31 PM
a reply to: theantediluvian

That's some scary stuff.

Thank God it all worked out.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 05:36 PM
That's some freaky stuff to think of happening.

Lucky they were there to save them all, thanks for sharing OP.
edit on 3-5-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 05:48 PM
Great story.4 Floors is a long drop.The kids we're one thing to catch in the blankets,but kudos to the guy bright enough to have had put the cushions for the mother.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:48 AM

"I remember her screaming (at) the baby, 'I love you, I love you. ...' Next thing you know she dropped the baby."

That's sooo touching... sniff

new topics