It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Connecticut Governor To Sign Gun Confiscation Bill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest

So if your rights are violated for two weeks, it doesn't count?

It's still a violation of rights. Filing a restraining order doesn't necessarily mean there is anything going on beyond a bad breakup, same with accusations of violence.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Dumb laws call for dumb actions.

Everyone in Connecticut should file domestic violence accusations against every single LEO in the state.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest

originally posted by: KawRider9
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Yes, yes I would consider it "just seven lives" if it was my family. I will never blame the method of choice for a killer, I'll put my blame on the killer!

Why aren't you speaking about the other half of homicides that were caused by other means?

And to reiterate, this law is about having your firearms confiscated for being accused of a crime, not committing one.

see my above post, there is a very quick judicial review and a restraining order has to be applied for

this is NOT a case where a whacko can just make stuff up about someone and have their guns taken away

Just remember folks, Your rights hinge on if someones bad at acting...

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

a reply to: introvert
The other half used other methods. So we could "potentially" save 7 lives.

I'm left wondering if you would consider it as 'just 7 lives', if it was your daughter (or other family member) who was shot during a domestic argument?

The Second trumps anyone trying to take your guns no matter the reason. I dont blame the weapons thats stupid.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So if your rights are violated for two weeks, it doesn't count?

It's still a violation of rights. Filing a restraining order doesn't necessarily mean there is anything going on beyond a bad breakup, same with accusations of violence.

I am more concerned with the women who are potentially trying to get away from an abuser, which is what this law is about.

if he isn't an abuser, he gets his guns back

if he is falsely accused, he has legal recourse

spare me your silly arguments about rights.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Hey I thought 'domestic' violence was already illegal.

So not only are people being denied their RIGHTS to due process.

CRIMES be proven in COURTS of LAW.

Just the accusation is enough to deny a persons constitutional RIGHTS.

Zeig Heil Connecticut.

That's keeping it fascist.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

Yes, yes I would consider it "just seven lives" if it was my family. I will never blame the method of choice for a killer, I'll put my blame on the killer!

Why aren't you speaking about the other half of homicides that were caused by other means?

And to reiterate, this law is about having your firearms confiscated for being accused of a crime, not committing one.

see my above post, there is a very quick judicial review and a restraining order has to be applied for

this is NOT a case where a whacko can just make stuff up about someone and have their guns taken away

Just remember folks, Your rights hinge on if someones bad at acting...

this is something new or unique to this ?

you can be falsely accused of anything and lose more than your gun rights, you can wind up executed

very weak arguments in this thread

are you guys on auto-argue ?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

if he isn't an abuser, he gets his guns back

No they don't

It would be nice of people actualy bothered to READ the LAWS.

ATF form 4473

11b.

Are you under indictment or information in any court for a felony , or any other crime, for which the judge could imprison you for more than one year? (See Instructions for Question 11.b.)

c. Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony , or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation?

i. Have you ever been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence? (See Instructions for Question 11.i.)

www.atf.gov...

The operative words there is 'could'.

Doesn't matter how the courts RULED.

Fascist's know better.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Well, this will be the sheetz for many people whose crazy ex wants to simply "ouch, they slapped me"

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
This is a tough one.

It's a good idea to get that firearm out of the hands of someone known for abusing a woman, because it is very likely she will be killed with that firearm.

But that also brings-up 2nd amendment issues.

I'll have to think on this one a bit.

No, it isn't "very likely"
www.thetrace.org...

On average, that works out to 554 annual fatal shootings of an American woman by a current or former romantic partner during the nine years examined, or one every 16 hours.

www.ncadv.org...

On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.

Let's go crazy and say that's a 50/50 split men to women, so 10 women per minute are abused. Every 16 hours, one is shot. That's 1 out of 9,600 who are shot... not what I'd cal "very likely."

Medical errors are now the third leading cause of death in the USA.
www.washingtonpost.com...

Their analysis, published in the BMJ on Tuesday, shows that "medical errors" in hospitals and other health care facilities are incredibly common and may now be the third leading cause of death in the United States -- claiming 251,000 lives every year, more than respiratory disease, accidents, stroke and Alzheimer's.

Taking a US population of 319 Million, dividing it by 251,000 yields a 1 in 1,271 citizens rate of death from medical mistakes in the US. In other words, you're 8 times more likely to die in the US simply by checking into a hospital than a woman already in an abusive relationship is to be shot by her abuser!!!

Firearms: America's irrational boogeyman since 1934 when the country realized it's stupid-ass prohibition law had created gun toting criminals.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Firearms: America's irrational boogeyman since 1934 when the country realized it's stupid-ass prohibition law had created gun toting criminals.

Then turns around and gives women abusers over in the middle east ak 47s and rpg's.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Then turns around and gives women abusers over in the middle east ak 47s and rpg's.

Boy howdy, there's a damn conundrum for you. How many people would lose their collective SNIP if a state passed a law stating that a man accused of domestic abuse has 24 hours to turn in his Koran and prayer rug until the courts have ironed things out?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I'm wondering if you base all of your arguments in appeals to emotion or logical analyses of facts...

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I'm just gonna drop this mic and move on.....

link

This report outlines the key findings from the review of those cases and the steps that we plan to take. Importantly, what it shows is that charges brought for perverting the course of justice or wasting police time for such "false" allegations need to be considered in the context of the total number of prosecutions brought for those offences. In the period of the review, there were 5,651 prosecutions for rape and 111,891 for domestic violence. During the same period there were 35 prosecutions for making false allegations of rape, six for making false allegation of domestic violence and three for making false allegations of both rape and domestic violence.

111,891 to 6

wow

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I'm just gonna drop this mic and move on.....

link

This report outlines the key findings from the review of those cases and the steps that we plan to take. Importantly, what it shows is that charges brought for perverting the course of justice or wasting police time for such "false" allegations need to be considered in the context of the total number of prosecutions brought for those offences. In the period of the review, there were 5,651 prosecutions for rape and 111,891 for domestic violence. During the same period there were 35 prosecutions for making false allegations of rape, six for making false allegation of domestic violence and three for making false allegations of both rape and domestic violence.

111,891 to 6

wow

Umm, you do realize if a woman hits herself in the face hard enough to bruise, then calls the cops on her significant other 99.9% of the time it will lead to a conviction of domestic violence.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   
If I were scared because my "other" had a gun, I wouldn't trust that taking it away would stop her from getting another one...

Remember, criminals don't care about following the law, right?...

Instead of hoping I would be protected, I'd protect myself... By getting a gun.

Loaner guns, anyone?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Here in TN, this is already the law. A friend of mine flipped a coffee table in front of his girlfriend, she calls the cops four hours after he leaves and he gets a letter in the mail from our sherriff telling him he has to turn in his guns and his carry permit has been suspended.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

prosecutions for making false allegations

Prosecution versus accusations. I really doubt many are prosecuted.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

a reply to: introvert

Think long and hard on this.

Being stripped of your firearms and ammunition for being "accused" of a crime is a HUGE slippery slope.

This is a horrible idea. The article says there are 13 domestic violence killings per year and half of those used a gun. The other half used other methods. So we could "potentially" save 7 lives.

And this is all over being "accused" of a crime, not committing one. No thanks.

Does that mean you're opposed to the idea of suspects being denied bail?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So on the power of he said/she said, we are now confiscating private property?

That's been happening for centuries in many forms. Why object only now?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join