It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Connecticut Governor To Sign Gun Confiscation Bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Connecticut is all ready to start taking guns and ammo from citizens who are "accused" of domestic violence.

The legislature has passed a bill that makes this real.

The Governor is apparently ready sign it into law.

That means anybody accused (absent of due process) has 24 hours to turn em in.

Not sure what happens if somebody doesn't turn em in?

Connecticut Governor To Sign Gun Confiscation Bill — Here Are The Key Details

"2nd" source....
Senate approves gun seizures in violent domestic breakups

Connecticut lawmakers have passed legislation to permit law enforcement to confiscate guns and ammunition from anyone accused of domestic abuse. The bill is headed to the desk of Gov. Dannel Malloy and he’s expected to sign it.

Under the legislation, suspects would have 24 hours after being accused to surrender all firearms.

After nearly three hours of debate, the bill was approved with a 23-13 vote amid a failed attempt by Republicans to amend the bill.

The Connecticut Post explains the intention behind the legislation:

Wanted: for failure to comply

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Ooops... that can of whoopass just opened!

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
OH THIS oughta be good....

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I just think what would happen if they tried this in NH or VT. Good luck...

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'll believe it when I see it in action. Laws are all well and good but if no-one is following/enforcing them than they really have no power.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I bet $100 this gets overturned the first time it is used.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Gotta love click-bait titles that misrepresent the actual story.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This is a tough one.

It's a good idea to get that firearm out of the hands of someone known for abusing a woman, because it is very likely she will be killed with that firearm.

But that also brings-up 2nd amendment issues.

I'll have to think on this one a bit.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_
Gotta love click-bait titles that misrepresent the actual story.

Here's part of the OP 1st article. Please point out what is in opposition to the "click-bait title". It appears pretty cut and dried.

Connecticut lawmakers have passed legislation to permit law enforcement to confiscate guns and ammunition from anyone accused of domestic abuse. The bill is headed to the desk of Gov. Dannel Malloy and he’s expected to sign it.

Under the legislation, suspects would have 24 hours after being accused to surrender all firearms.

After nearly three hours of debate, the bill was approved with a 23-13 vote amid a failed attempt by Republicans to amend the bill.

The Connecticut Post explains the intention behind the legislation:

The goal is to protect women from the increased lethality at a critical point in a relationship: when they are trying to leave their abusers. About 14 domestic homicides occur annually in Connecticut, half of which are caused by guns.

While 5,000 temporary restraining orders are issued annually, about half result in permanent orders. The bill, which was approved last week in the House, would require court hearings within seven days and if judges decide against extending the orders, weapons would be returned within five days later. Currently, court hearings are held 14 days later.

Senate President Pro Tempore Martin M. Looney argued the “possible inconvenience to gun owners” should not come at the “expense of the great danger to victims of domestic violence.”

“That’s why this bill is exactly what we should be doing in this area,” he added.

Here's part of the second link:

HARTFORD — Accused domestic abusers would have to surrender firearms within 24 hours under legislation that won final approval in the Senate on Monday afternoon and now heads to the governor for his expected signature.

The bill was approved 23-13 after a two-and-three-quarter hour debate, in which Republicans failed in three attempts to amend it. Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, who proposed the legislation, indicated right after the vote that he supports the bill, which would require alleged domestic abusers — in most cases, men — to immediately give up their guns and ammunition if their partners seek restraining orders.

edit on 3-5-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Think long and hard on this.

Being stripped of your firearms and ammunition for being "accused" of a crime is a HUGE slippery slope.

This is a horrible idea. The article says there are 13 domestic violence killings per year and half of those used a gun. The other half used other methods. So we could "potentially" save 7 lives.

And this is all over being "accused" of a crime, not committing one. No thanks.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Didn't connecticut try some other type of ridiculous, overreaching kneejerk attempt to take a bunch of guns from people. IIRC no body showed up to comply with their little law, which was swiftly pulled.

Connecticut is obviously attempting to spearhead the start of a revolutionary war.
edit on 3-5-2016 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
So... someone is mad at their significant other and makes an accusation just to get their guns confiscated.
I can see this turning into a vengeful tool.

Then what will be the next excuse to confiscate guns?

Notice there were still domestic violence murders without guns. If someone wants to kill, not having a gun is not going to stop them.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

About 14 domestic homicides occur annually in Connecticut, half of which are caused by guns.

That relatively low number notwithstanding..

"Caused" by guns?

Wrong. Caused by the idiot that pulled the trigger.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

About 14 domestic homicides occur annually in Connecticut, half of which are caused by guns.

Wow ... for the benefit of seven (7) potential victims ... everyone's Constitutional rights are threatened.

Communisticut.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
The other half used other methods. So we could "potentially" save 7 lives.

I'm left wondering if you would consider it as 'just 7 lives', if it was your daughter (or other family member) who was shot during a domestic argument?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

I am leaning towards your side on this issue.

I think this could be a slippery-slope that I would not want to go down.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

I'm left wondering if you would consider it as 'just 7 lives', if it was your daughter (or other family member) who was shot during a domestic argument?

Wouldn't happen to my family....down here in the South if your family member has an abusive significant other we take care of that in house......Believe me our system has been working for years without government intervention.
edit on 3-5-2016 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
you conveniently left out the part where someone has to file for a restraining order for this to kick in

sorry, this is just common sense and protecting our ladies

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, who proposed the legislation, indicated right after the vote that he supports the bill, which would require alleged domestic abusers — in most cases, men — to immediately give up their guns and ammunition if their partners seek restraining orders. The goal is to protect women from the increased lethality at a critical point in a relationship: when they are trying to leave their abusers. About 14 domestic homicides occur annually in Connecticut, half of which are caused by guns. While 5,000 temporary restraining orders are issued annually, about half result in permanent orders. The bill, which was approved last week in the House, would require court hearings within seven days and if judges decide against extending the orders, weapons would be returned within five days later. Currently, court hearings are held 14 days later. “This is a very important bill,” said Senate President Pro Tempore Martin M. Looney, noting that the issue goes back to the summer and fall of 2014, when a task force found that compared to other states, Connecticut fell short in protected victims of domestic abuse.

link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Yes, yes I would consider it "just seven lives" if it was my family. I will never blame the method of choice for a killer, I'll put my blame on the killer!

Why aren't you speaking about the other half of homicides that were caused by other means?

And to reiterate, this law is about having your firearms confiscated for being accused of a crime, not committing one.

link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Wouldn't happen to my family....down here in the South if your family member has an abusive significant other we take care of that in house......Believe me our system has been working for years without government intervention.

lol, in other words nobody openly talks about it.

Claiming the deep southern United states is immune from domestic violence, really does force me to reevaluate just how ignorant people are capable of being though... so yeah, thanks for that mate!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join