It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mandela Effect, AKA "I don't want to be wrong"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Begin Short Rant.

This whole Mandela Effect thing has devolved into a circle jerk of people looking for bias confirmation.

"I thought this but everyone told me I was wrong so eff all those people I am from another dimension".

One person compared themselves to the X Men. Seriously? The delusion is strong.

Scientific articles are linked, peer reviewed even, and those posting them are told they just don't understand because these people just KNOW they are right, and science can't tell them they are wrong. Then the people backed with science are told they are trolls, shills etc and they they aren't having honest debate because they aren't open to the possibility that universes are merging or the the USA is changing our memories. You know, because to undermine our ability to stand up to them we have to think Eli Whitney was a black man and that Vader said Luke instead of No. That makes a ton of sense...

These people don't recognize the circular logic/logical fantasies they employ and are blinded by their own want to not have to admit that our human memory is a crappy thing and most of use get a lot wrong a lot.

End Rant.

Edit:

edit on 3-5-2016 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Of course everyone wants to be right, but it's a fascinating phenomenon imo.

I remember hearing James Garner had died around ten years ago, and when he did actually die, it was a wtf moment.

Reading that there are 50 states in the U.S and not 52 as I always believed, well that could be down to not paying attention in school.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Yes, those folks are bat-poop crazy. It's ALWAYS been "The Berenstain Bears." They just weren't paying attention.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Right because it hasn't happened to you so it is just other people's bad memories. I had a near death experience and since then things have changed (no it wasn't a traumatic brain injury) in my memories. I wish it was just bad memories. If that was the case then I don't have to feel like an idiot when I asked my brother about the time we seen back to the future IV in the theatre and he says there was no movie by that name, even though I seen it. Also Bush (W) only served one term . so many things have changed. No I'm not schizophrenic and all these differences appeared after 2007 when I had my accident. Do I understand it? No does it mean timelines shifted? No but I was relieved to find out others shared similar things in there life such as New Zealand changing on the map etc that atleast made me feel I wasn't insane.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This is a great video about this made up nonsense. It's yet another example of what happens when special snow flakes grow up.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

I suspect you are correct to an extent many people are probably using this "Mandela Effect" as an out for losing an argument or not liking to be wrong, but here is the rub, the first I had ever heard of this phenomenon was back in the late 90's when Art Bell was still the host on Coast to Coast AM, I want to say the guest was Father Malachi Martin but forgive me if I am wrong it has been 17 or so years. They did not call it the "Mandela Effect" at the time but they did use Nelson Mandela as the working example. When the guest asked Art if Mandela was dead he was stuck for a moment and had to think about. The funny thing is I was stuck too and had to think about it. I swear I had remembered him being assassinated but low and behold he was only in prison. That stinks of jigbuggery in the time lines if you ask me. Until that broadcast I had never given it a second thought, he had been assassinated in the 80s when I was just a kid. Why would I research a dead guy without a good reason, right?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Back when the intraweb started, most computers would self-underline misspelled words, and instead of correcting the author's error, 'they' just let it fly. A few years later, "Common Core math" was introduced.

Also see "Copyright Laws" .

Now if I could monetize the words "loose" in lieu of "lose" and how many times 'They're; their; there' is misused, well I'd be onto something.

And for the incontinent person, years ago the t.v./radio commercial was "Isn't it comforting to depend on Depends™ adult undergarments"? Now they're named "Depend" I guess they flushed the 's' or Depend™ no longer owns anything?? Or somebody at Media Relations corrected crappy grammar and use of English, but seeing how now One needs to press "1 for English" I think they should be commended.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

I remember when the X-Men where the Ex-Men.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BoxFulder

It HAS happened to me. I discussed at length memories I was convinced were accurate until physical evidence proved me wrong. I accepted that my memory had been distorted.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
And if you show them the evidence that in our current understanding proves them wrong, they'll tell you the evidence has been manipulated as well.

edit on 3-5-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

It was trending on FB.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
It was trending on FB.

I remember when Facebook was owned by Mark Zuckerman and his pig.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Yes, those folks are bat-poop crazy. It's ALWAYS been "The Berenstain Bears." They just weren't paying attention.

yes they are bat shti crazy. the "luke i am your father" was to edited for trailers and commercials. movies do it all the time. stitch together words for preview purposes. but in itihe movie its No.. im your father.

morons.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Lysergic
It was trending on FB.

I remember when Facebook was owned by Mark Zuckerman and his pig.

I remember that pig, and so does David Cameron. David Cameron remembers it with very much affection.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
I remember that pig, and so does David Cameron. David Cameron remembers it with very much affection.

I remember when it was Kirk Cameron that ran the UK but it was called the UKE.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

I remember when the X-Men where the Ex-Men.

X-men.... is that like Caitlyn Jenner and friends?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The problem with the whole "Mandela Effect" is that it, by its very nature, can't be proven. There is no way to prove that something has been retroactively changed on a timeline without being able to go to to the old timeline and verify it. I talk to some people about the "berenstein bears" thing, and they say "I'm going to go find one of my old books and check!" as if that would verify anything.

But, time is hypothesized to be a dimension, and the passing of time is supposedly a result of our inability to perceive that dimension in its entirety, so there is no telling what can happen with timelines. Ever since I read about the double slit experiment (that particles act like a wave or a particle depending on if they're being measured) and the laser grid Helium-neon experiment that further stipulates that a particle might even be able to tell whether it's GOING to be measured before the fact, shenanigans with reality don't seem to be out of the realm of possibility. Plausibility maybe.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
In my dimension, it was Bear-n-Staind. And they had naked album covers in addition to storybooks.

My dimension is better than your dimension.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
X-men.... is that like Caitlyn Jenner and friends?

I remember when Caitlyn Jenner was a dude and won the World Cup.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

I remember when it was Kirk Cameron that ran the UK but it was called the UKE.

I remember Tony Blaine and Gordon Bennett being Emperors of the United Kingdom Empire too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join