It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Woman harasses man using food stamps.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

You are right. There is a subset of people who abuse the system. They take handouts where they can and hustle and steal for the luxuries. In a perfect world everyone on assistance would never drink, do drugs, buy big TVs, buy nice cars instead of settling for a beater, stop having babies when they're on assistance, put rims on the car their grandma gave them, etc etc etc. And they'd all be seeking gainful employment M-F 8a-5p

It's not a perfect world. You kind of just have to accept that it happens and understand that a majority of people receiving assistance are decent people just trying to make it. The system is a cluster f***k. You couldn't imagine how much costs they could cut just by eliminating duplicate forms, or having a website that actually worked so that you didn't have to rely on 'paper' paperwork.

I, personally, think you should be assigned a caseworker that sits down with you and evaluates your needs and helps you get the resources you need and a plan to get back on your feet. One on one. It seems like you'd have to spend more on these employees, but believe me they would save soooo much in the long run. And people would get the help they need. And the fraudulent moochers would get sniffed out.

But as I've said so many times on ATS, clearly I'm not in charge of anything so....

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

And one more point:
OP is disabled. Which means he is unable to work and he relies on disability payments for income. He's welcome to spend it on whatever he feels like, just as working people get to spend their paychecks however they want. OP gets food stamps just to get by. I would agree with you that able bodied people should do everything they can to work and not be frivolous with their spending. But disability is kind of a different story.

I, too, am disabled but I'm actually living fairly comfortably because I'm receiving SSI AND Pension Disability from my previous employer because it's their fault I'm jacked up. SSI is a destitute 'wage'. If SSI was my sole income, I'd be right back on all the other government assistance programs and still barely be scraping by.

Back when I was waiting to receive disability, I (and a 2 year old- who I had BEFORE I was disabled) were surviving off Medicaid, Food Stamps and $230 per month. Yes, you read that right. $230 per MONTH for an adult female and a 2 year old child. I guarantee you there were no luxuries to be had for us....except perhaps the stray $5 My Little Pony for my daughter.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

This is what i always tell people who get upset about the government helping the poor with money or food stamps or what ever.
All they always say is " My Taxs are paying for that" and implying that they would rather not have their money going towards helping the poor.
First point is that governments pay out many times more money on stupider things and more importantly if they did stop helping the poor, how do you think this man and many others would be feeding his kids....by robbing your house so if you disagree with these programs just remember that you are alot safer in your nice house without hungry kids and desperate parents next door.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Something else you may not have considered is this: The person may have been shopping for other too. You assume they were buying the telivision for themself because they paid for it. But they might just have well been buying it for someone else, with that someone else's money, because the other person had no way to haul the TV, didn't have time to go to Walmart, or whatever. This kind of thing happens in my family a lot. I may end up buying stuff for 4 different people with 4 different lots of money/debit cards/other payment methods. Just a thought. Not saying the person WASN'T buying it for themself, but it IS just an assumption on your part.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
terrible, just terrible, my heart breaks for him.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Wish she was willing to confront the people REALLY stealing from her with such Gusto ! This was an interesting article...btw...I think both adults behaved horribly in front of that kid.

billmoyers.com...

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
This is off topic, but the guy, woman or both should of never had that kid if they need food stamps and buy KIX cereal.

Soooooooo many are unqualified to have a baby. Having a baby should be a privelege, not a right.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

Lady...you are just that! I don't condemn anyone for doing what they must...only those who do what they will. You see...I used to work with this seventy something year old black man I'll call Parker. His history included true racism and rejection by peers. He wasn't intelligent but he was smart and a loving "Father" to a white "Daughter" that he took in. I experienced him seeing racism everywhere...even when it wasn't.

One morning during a shift change there was a news story on TV about a young, black man who had committed some crime. Parker became very angry and cursed at the TV and the young, black man's picture. I was kinda shocked at his anger. It was very profound to me. As much he had experienced racism in his long life and as much as he looked for it...he was truly angry at this stranger on TV for giving others reason for thinking of black people a criminals.

I am of the same cloth. I'm often embarrassed by the human race. Taken back by our arrogance and our self-serving attitude. I can find it in every segment of our society...the takers, the criminals and the leeches. It is often like a slime that I want to wash off, even while I try very hard to be someone to admire to my family, children and friends. I would hate to find out there was actually a God to which we had to answer...because the answer would be pitiful.

I don't like feeling like this, but I'm kind of stuck with it. Morals, values...they have disappeared from our society and while I am not one of those...I am one of their kind.

In short...we could have been so much more, and this is what we have decided to become. It is just kind of sad.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: riiver

Something else you may not have considered is this: The person may have been shopping for other too. You assume they were buying the telivision for themself because they paid for it. But they might just have well been buying it for someone else, with that someone else's money, because the other person had no way to haul the TV, didn't have time to go to Walmart, or whatever. This kind of thing happens in my family a lot. I may end up buying stuff for 4 different people with 4 different lots of money/debit cards/other payment methods. Just a thought. Not saying the person WASN'T buying it for themself, but it IS just an assumption on your part.

You are absolutely correct that I could be wrong. But I'm 51 years old and know the difference...though it is just a feeling based upon the attitude and projection of the person. Regardless...it happens and it is like watching someone being raped. It isn't a good feeling to see your charity being used for personal gain. It belittles our efforts to help others and makes a mockery of them.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
This is off topic, but the guy, woman or both should of never had that kid if they need food stamps and buy KIX cereal.

Soooooooo many are unqualified to have a baby. Having a baby should be a privelege, not a right.

So you support abortion in order to help people not have babies they can't afford?

What are the criteria in your opinion to be allowed to reproduce? What sort of annual wage? Parental qualifications?

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

What a swell lady. I wonder what it would be like being such a mean spirited person. I don't agree with the way the social welfare programs operate, but no reason to blame or harass the recipient, gotta go to the source of the problem.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Abortion is a last resort, but is necessary. Parents should be able to support a kids healthy diet. Parents should have the knowledge of what a healthy diet is. Parents should be at least 21 and married or at least be a long term couple with decent incomes. I dont think minimum wage would cut it. Parents should also be mentally healthy. (thats all i can think of)

If one doesnt meet the requirements, then one can adopt a child and try to meet adoption requirements.

There is simply too many people having kids, who shouldnt be having kids. The human race is overpopulated with abdunace of poverty. Idiots keep breeding new people into horrible conditions. Only making the problem worse.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

I dont think she has any right to scoff at this guy at all. But i'm sure there's more to the story than what's on the video..I could be that he was buying a bunch of junk food with it.. who knows - but that still doesnt matter - folks who use foodstamps should be able to buy and eat whatever they want.

But I will say is it's not fair to pin anyone who's a republican as a ranting bitch at walmart. I for one usually vote republican but consider my self a moderate as i know it's hard to raise a family these days and food stamp programs are a necessity for people to be able to eat and live. I have no problem with that at all. Everyone deserves food, shelter and clothing!

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: BootsOnNecks
She's my type of lady, saying what many feel
out loud and proud of her power.
Instead of hiding online she does it
where it counts - in front of those who will be affected by it...
Those using it.

Kudos to her and her bravery standing up for what she believes in.

Seriously? I would say wrong and strong rather than loud and proud

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Ummm...I had my daughter when I had a stable, lucrative job. Then by the negligence of said job combined with medical malpractice I became suddenly disabled. I waited until I secured disability income and a place to live before I had another child and I now have one more on the way. Because I love being a mother, I'm pretty damn good at it, and I have the ability to care for them. I don't get any other form of government assistance, and for years I paid into the systems who now pay me.

But nice to know you're the fertility police. I'll run all my future decisions by you from now on!

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

For every person on assistance there is a unique set of circumstances. Yes, some are moochy pieces of crap. But there are a LOT of decent people who work hard and are just trying to get by. I'm posting my personal experiences on this thread in the hopes that people who choose only see the bad can realize that everyone on assistance are not necessarily bad people doing bad things.

I'm a single mom by choice. My good career was taken away from me. And now my sole income is disability. I still lament over my lost life, but at least I'm able to be a stay at home mom now. My kids are happy, healthy, smart and well disciplined. A lot of people would be judgey judgey about my situation, and trust me this wasn't the plan. But this is how things have worked out and I'm doing the best I can with the hand I've been dealt.

I'm sure you're a good guy, just try not to be so cynical! Not everyone is a piece of crap tying to scam the system.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: drewatx716

Check out 0:27 "Oh trust me, I am not a bleeding heart f**ing Liberal"....0:41 "You and your Bernie supporters"...He tells her "Vote Republican"....0:47 "That's exactly who I vote for"

Soooo.... yeah, she is representing for the Republicans.

My previous post from a couple of pages back.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Plus the people who complain about food stamps and welfare are the same ones who are against free birth control and abortion.

Makes perfect sense. *sarcasm font*

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

The woman didn't work there, and the filmer wasn't a Wal-Mart employee.
edit on 5/7/2016 by Brainiac because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
because most of the time, Republicans are the one whinging about social programs like Food Stamps and Medicaid, which without them, i'd be livng in a box, dying a slow painful death of thyroid disease.

a reply to: DAVID64

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join