It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The JWPlayer Malware/Virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Greetings,

Unknown, to me, if this is unique to ATS, it only appears while viewing ATS while not logged in.
It doesn't appear on other websites.
As a Mac user, I use Malwarebytes, which failed to detect/remove it.

When not logged into ATS, below the first message posted to a thread, a Larry King video appears hosted by JWPlayer. The video can be paused but not closed. Upon login, the JWPlayer video does not appear.

The consequences (for PC users) are described on the SafeBro website

It may change & corrupt default settings of browsers like Firefox, Chrome or Internet explorer
Changes home page and displays unwanted pop-ups advertisements
Causes frequent web redirects to wrong websites, hijacks search engine settings and leads to unexpected webpages
Keeps record of browsing activities and interests
Collects Personal user information which may include sensitive financial data such as logins, usernames, accounts
It may bring further infections are direct the user to infectious sites
Makes the browser run slow, uses a big part of system resources

The JWPlayer malware hits both the Safari and Chrome browser. Drive searches fail to locate it by name.

I tried a bunch of popular non-ATS websites to see if JWPlayer videos showed up, and results are nil.

Need to ask if any of you have observed this situation (Larry King video below the first post of each message thread while not logged in.)
For my part, I'll have to notify Malwarebytes, that the JWPlayer malware is penetrating web browsers.

Thanks much.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up. I always got to putlocker to stream my favorite shows I can not watch and they use JW player. I am will find an alternative way to watch them now.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Adonsa
Malwarebytes and others already know about it. After following the steps in your article, run "Tempfilecleaner" by old timer, and run "ADWCleaner". Both can be found on bleepingcomputer.com. These will help cleanup the remnants that are left behind by manual removal. You may also need to do a browser reset afterward.

I have never seen this at ATS, but I know it isn't unique here. Also, the website something like this pops up on isn't necessarily the site you get it from.

Thanks for posting this. I really wish the people that code this crap would put their skills to work helping people instead.
edit on 5/3/2016 by Klassified because: spelling

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Just a little bit of info, I kept getting "bad pool caller" BSOD, after I rechered it a lot nothing seemed to help till I found one pice of info that said malwerebytes can cause it. So I removed malwerebytes and my PC has been rock steady since ( about 4 weeks now). Anybody else has this ??

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Adonsa

No issues here with ATS or any other site....have phone, tab, laptop and PC's....using all browsers.

Nothing...

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: imod02
Just a little bit of info, I kept getting "bad pool caller" BSOD, after I rechered it a lot nothing seemed to help till I found one pice of info that said malwerebytes can cause it. So I removed malwerebytes and my PC has been rock steady since ( about 4 weeks now). Anybody else has this ??

Hmmmm. Thanks for this. I have used Mbytes a lot in recent years across hundreds/thousands of computers, and have never had this happen, that I know of. I'll be looking into it now.

edit on 5/3/2016 by Klassified because: edit

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Dont know. I use Comodo Internet Security . Its free , and have never caught a virus nor been infested by adware.Safe as a babe in it's mother's arm's

edit on 5/3/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Solved.

Many thanks for your responses.

I heard back from Malwarebytes. What is likely taking place is an article (that resides on ATS) is retrieving content from "JW Player" and placing the video onto ATS message threads. Based on your comments, this probably isn't a widespread problem.

There is a jwplayer virus out there, and it appears that "JW Player" and the jwplayer virus are not the same. I could be wrong, but that seems to be the case right now.

The fix, for Google Chrome and possibly most browsers, is to install the Flash Control extension, and let it do what it does. Flash Control lets you allow or disallow each JW Player video to persist on the web page you're looking at.

Hope this is useful.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Adonsa
Solved.

Many thanks for your responses.

I heard back from Malwarebytes. What is likely taking place is an article (that resides on ATS) is retrieving content from "JW Player" and placing the video onto ATS message threads. Based on your comments, this probably isn't a widespread problem.

There is a jwplayer virus out there, and it appears that "JW Player" and the jwplayer virus are not the same. I could be wrong, but that seems to be the case right now.

The fix, for Google Chrome and possibly most browsers, is to install the Flash Control extension, and let it do what it does. Flash Control lets you allow or disallow each JW Player video to persist on the web page you're looking at.

Hope this is useful.

Theres a easier fix. un install your browser then re install. clears it right up.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: imod02
I haven't had a single BSOD since I built my computer last year and Malwarebytes is one of the first applications I installed. I also used it for years before that without any problems.

Malwarebytes asked this guy to send some diagnostics but he refused, and if they can't see the diagnostics how are they supposed to fix the problem, if there is one? They aren't seeing BSODs and neither am I, but it could be related to specific systems or system configurations so just because Malwarebytes tech support and I don't see it doesn't mean nobody else will.

forums.malwarebytes.org...

However I don't think Kaiwen's troubleshooting skills are very good, as Malwarebytes points out he's referring to things that seem unrelated like having to re-flash the bios. I can't imagine how that has anything to do with Malwarebytes and apparently neither can the Malwarebytes tech support guy.

About JWplayer mentioned in the OP, I'm usually logged in when I visit ATS, so if you have to be logged out to see it, then that would explain why I'm not seeing that.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur
All my other PCs run very well with MB, its just this one, I reinstalled MB and after about an hour the PC crashed again. But as I said all my other PCs work well. I dont know what it is but on this one PC it does not want to work with MB.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: imod02
If I was you I'd probably start a thread on their tech support forum (same link I posted above) and unlike the other guy, send them the diagnostic reports they request. It's one of the best free anti-malware apps I know of so I'd want them to fix it if it was happening on one of my PCs, but since it's not happening to me I can't help.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur
Thanks for the advice, but to be honest its only one of my PCs that suffer this, and I dont realy care so much about it, just thought it might be intresting to others. Once again thanks.

edit on 5-5-2016 by imod02 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join