It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if I'm Homeless? How can I stay warm? (Urban Edition.) by Subconscionaut

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Even in my hot climate where it gets to 45C in the middle of summer, it can get pretty cold at night in winter. It was 5C and very windy last night. I came across this article, he has some good pointers in it. I am sure there are many more ideas out there so let's hear them.

Bear Grylls says getting off the ground is important and I think that he is right. Also I have known about the insulating qualities of bubble wrap for a while.

On a side note I am going to paste some bubble wrap on some back windows tomorrow with kid's paper glue (Clag, it comes off with water) and see if it makes a discernible difference to that room, it should wash off after winter.

www.instructables.com... an-I-stay-warmUrban-Ed/?ALLSTEPS

I remember hearing about some guy who was trying to save money on heating bills, a couple of colleagues went to his house one night for something. He was sitting in a big cardboard box full of packing peanuts and watching TV, using a curtain rod to change the channels.

edit on 3/5/16 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
They sell plastic that you can put around and across the inside of your windows...use a hair dryer to seal it and it willhelp keep the cold out......also....newspapers are a great source of warmth. My grandmother lived through the depression and they used newspapers for warmth. You can wrap yourself in it to help keep warm...and ...take some newspaper and roll into a tight tube. Place the tub s around the edges of th Windows to keep drafts out. ....plus if you're homeless...move to a warmer climate. Seek the help of a church to guide you back onto your feet.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
my plan if i become homeless is to move to a coastal city or just a city in general. its insane how much very edible food is thrown out along with clothes and some basic must haves. all you would then need is someplace to lay your head where you wont be botherd, hence the coastal city just sleep under a pier or on some lonely stretch of beach bath in the ocean then off to forage dumpsters for the days food if it indeed is possible to scavenge dumpsters without getting in trouble if so then do it at night. as far as warmth and insulation newspaper works great, i imagine plastic garbage bags would do nicely for wearing under a hoodie or sweater for added warmth although it doesnt breathe to well lol.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

ATM booths are heated.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cinrad...
On a side note I am going to paste some bubble wrap on some back windows tomorrow with kid's paper glue (Clag, it comes off with water) and see if it makes a discernible difference to that room, it should wash off after winter.

Drafts of any sort in your house will cause heat loss. Clear window insulators work. Buying a caulk gun and a tube of indoor caulk to seal around your windows' frame will also help tremendously. Both are relatively cheep too.

As far as homeless goes... Bear Grylls is right. Get off the ground. And don't get wet. Layered clothing works well (remember the "grunge" look? Thermo undershirt, t-shirt, flannel shirt?) That is because it is cold in wet around Seattle so dressing for the elements is how to stay warm. Oh, and tarps. A couple tarps can perform many functions!

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
It probably sounds like stating the obvious but keep your feet warm, that's about the best single thing you can do to keep warm.

ETA - I was worried about suggesting thermal socks because if someone has no money even the cheap ones will be beyond their means. But they do make a lot of difference.

edit on 3-5-2016 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Smack a cop on the nose. You get three meals aday plus warm accomodation for the duration. And it costs you nothing, if you've got nothing.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Fair enough point.

Stuff clothing with newspaper.
Check construction sites for scraps of insulation.
Lots of things you can do.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Errr.. you can probably go to the Salvation Army, a homeless shelter or something like that and get a pretty nice jacket for free. Alternatively you can knock on somebodies door and ask them if they have an old jacket they do not need. It's funny how people do not consider asking others for help.. most people are not dick-wads, at least I hope. You can do the same for food. It is only when you start asking for money that people get offended. I would not hesitate to give somebody food or clothing.

Another point - your head has the most blood vessels in your body and is the source of the greatest heat loss, so just wear a hat. .. a wool one if you can get one.

If you can find straw or something like that, sleep on that instead of the ground.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

well,if you have windows,I doubt your homeless....may not have heat,but you have windows.Bubble wrap,or cardboard cut to fit will help.Prevent drafts,stay dry,all that.Any type of a SAFE warm fire,like a coleman lantern,campstove,in a small room will knock off the edge.No candles,they suck.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm not homeless, The title of the thread is the same title as the article.

I was thinking of pointers for survival situations. Tucking in your trouser legs makes sense as it stops the warm air from escaping with every step. Bubble wrap gloves, good idea too.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
just a thought, not sure if it would work...
if you are homeless and can build a fire outside, heat up some rocks, and dig a few holes in the ground to place the hot rocks into. of course, moving the hot rocks, I leave up to you to figure out...
fill soda bottles with hot water and place around your shelter...

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
just a thought, not sure if it would work...
if you are homeless and can build a fire outside, heat up some rocks, and dig a few holes in the ground to place the hot rocks into. of course, moving the hot rocks, I leave up to you to figure out...
fill soda bottles with hot water and place around your shelter...

Love it, some good ideas there. I think I saw someone do something like that with hot rocks on a survival show.

The temps here still get to 14-18C (57.2- 64 F) during the day, and if it is sunny you could get bottles of water warm during the day and use them as heat banks at night.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
During the daytime, hang at the library. It's quiet and you can sleep there.

Buses are heated as well. an all day bus pass is just the thing. I know a station for the train where the hobos hang out and offer to "buy" your partly used day pass. underground train stations stay warm too.

Sometimes conventions can be handy as well. If it's a convention involving food, they'll have free samples. (my friend and I fed ourselves at a franchise expo for 4 days. )

Waiting rooms of any kind work well, as do browsing in big stores.

THen there's the exhaust vents on college and hospital campuses--generally any complex that is heated by steam will have some grates in the sidewalk where hot air blows.

Stairwells of hospitals are pretty good too. Medical people generally won't call the cops if you are polite. The higher up the hospital you go, the cleaner the bathrooms. So you can take a 'sink bath' on the top floor, in a bathroom that hasn't been used since being disinfected. On the other hand, the lobby men's room will obviously be the dirtiest and busiest john on the property.

I've napped in a few hospital beds. Bed control/housekeeping will often have a floor or wing that is closed for renovation, or being cleaned etc., and you can often find a bed that wont be checked for 8 hours. ScORE!

In the 'burbs, keep on the lookout for abandoned/unoccupied houses. Even if you aren't will to break in and borrow the fire-place, you can always sleep in a vacant dog-house or other animal shelters in the yard or behind the outbuildings. Keep your mind open. In upper class communities, you can find "hobby farms." Hen houses, goat stalls, and horse barns are all usually 10-30 F above the outdoor temperatures.

If there are vacation homes, those often have great possibilities. Usually the richer the owner, the larger the property and the less its in use. Docks and marinas will have boats, and as long as you aren't sleeping on a surface that contacts the water, you can get out of the wind and weather.

edit on 6/5/2016 by redempsh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
If you can find service access to a large building or utility...

I think this guy's scenario was closest to the most ideal. It's a story I heard some years back, and I still find it amusing.

chicagoist.com...

That guy had a pretty sweet deal going. Basically he found an entrance while climbing around a wall going along the Chicago river. Entered a service tunnel area that was more or less "security by obscurity". Had access to electrical power, and fresh water from something like a janitor's closet. Apparently there was enough power for a microwave, mini-fridge, TV, and laptop. Rest was getting cozied up with some blankets and an electric heater. He managed some income from odd jobs (thus TV, laptop, food, and heater), but the rent-free living really helped.

Eventually he got found when service work finally had to be done, but he had enjoyed a few years that way. Obviously not going to have company over living like that, but not the most terrible as bachelor pads go.

Sometimes it's a good bit of luck, but also taking chances when looking in the first place.
edit on 9-5-2016 by pauljs75 because: Trying different link, as first one broke

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

You get a fair sizes commercial van, with something on the side saying "Ace Electrical, all hours electrical"" Make it into a comfortable camper van. With this ruse you can park anywhere, and never be homeless again.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   

k,so your not homeless...whats your concern about windows? The best insulation is to prevent drafts and wind,thats why homeless people like cardboard boxes.Glass is a poor insulator for temperature.Small spaces are easy to heat,no drafts.A refridgerator box and a sleeping bag will work well below zero.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
You want to orient yourself within a nightwalk of a fast-food restaurant strip. Your big 3 are pizza delivery, donuts, and Starbucks.

Pizza delivery will be a nightly waypoint on your rounds. A certain percentage of pizzas for delivery are either miss-baked or the costumer wasn't home when pizza was delivered. At the end of the night, they throw all the 'mistakes' in a dumpster behind the restaurant. There is often an entire, warm, untouched pizza in its own box on top of everything. If you have pocket change, and can still find a pay phone, you can call in a fake order about an hour before closing. That way it'll still be hot when they throw it out....

Donuts are similar, in that a lot of them are thrown away once they are cold/stale. At the end the night, they throw out all the unsold ones. Help yourself.

Starbucks doesn't throw out much usable food; but they DO have a drive-thru window. For some reason, people with the shakes drop a lot of change. ESPECIALLY if there is grass below the delivery window, you can check for coins in the grass. Even on a paved curb, you may find 2 - 3 bucks worth of change! (I picked up $2.75 last week at a starbucks)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

many people are homeless its sad are you homeless?

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: demvoter

many people are homeless its sad are you homeless?

Again, I am not homeless, I have a mortgage over half paid off so who knows what will happen in the future? I live in a 3 bedroom house on 1/3 of an acre, 50m from the center of a small town (a couple hundred people). I am a semi-prepper. The heading of the topic is the same as the article. I posted this in the survival forum for pointers and tips in case of a survival situation where you had to keep warm.
edit on 10/5/16 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/5/16 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join