It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foreshock? A Significant Earthquake Just Hit The New Madrid Fault Seismic Zone

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Michael Snyder 2 May 2016
www.activistpost.com...

[I don't consider a 3.5 to be a significant quake--say for Taipei or even San Diego. I don't know about New Madrid]

Could the earthquake that just struck the New Madrid fault seismic zone near the town of La Center, Kentucky be a “foreshock” for a much bigger quake yet to come? Very early on Sunday morning, a magnitude 3.5 earthquake hit western Kentucky, and it was felt in parts of three other states as well. In fact, it is being reported that the quake could be felt all the way over in Miller, Missouri, which is 267 miles away. The New Madrid fault seismic zone is six times larger than the more famous San Andreas fault zone in California, and it covers portions of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi. Scientists tell us that the New Madrid fault is about 30 years overdue for a major event, and because of the nature of the Earth’s crust in that part of the country, a major earthquake would do significant damage all the way to the east coast.
A big Hollywood blockbuster was named after the San Andreas fault, but the truth is that the New Madrid fault has the potential to do vastly more damage. That is why what happened in a remote section of western Kentucky very early this morning was so alarming…
. . .
The following comes from the USGS…

The New Madrid seismic zone of southeast Missouri and adjacent States is the most seismically active in North America east of the Rockies. During the winter of 1811-1812 three very large earthquakes devastated the area and were felt throughout most of the Nation. They occurred a few weeks apart on December 16, January 23, and February 7. Hundreds of aftershocks, some severely damaging by themselves, continued for years. Prehistoric earthquakes similar in size to those of 1811-1812 occurred in the middle 1400’s and around 900 A.D. Strong, damaging earthquakes struck the southwestern end of the seismic zone near Marked Tree, Arkansas in 1843 (magnitude 6.3), and the northeastern end near Charleston, Missouri in 1895 (magnitude 6.6). Since 1900, moderately damaging earthquakes have struck the seismic zone every few decades.

. . .
In our time, the U.S. Geological Survey has admitted that the New Madrid fault zone has the “potential for larger and more powerful quakes than previously thought,” and we have seen the number of significant earthquakes in the middle part of the country more than quintuple in recent years.
. . .

I don't know how significant this is.

I do believe that the area WILL, within most of our lifetimes, blow big-time. I suspect it will be within 2-12 years but that's just a personal hunch.
Evidently the New Madrid quakes damage a larger area than LA quakes do.
I certainly think that folks living in that region do well to be prepared at all times--home, traveling--wherever in the area.
A lot of the folks having dreams and visions of the looming New Madrid quake assert that the Mississippi will be miles wide for a good stretch after the quake. I think it's 30 miles wide, IIRC.
And, they have 'seen' the Great Lakes then emptying into the Mississippi river valley after the quake--sloshing over a good bit of Chicago in the process.
That sure doesn't sound like any quakes the USA is very used to.
I wonder how many ATSers we have living in those areas??? BE SAFE, Y'ALL. PLEASE BE SAFE. Maybe you need to get the quake aps for your phone that show when the preliminary wave forms have been detected.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I live within 5 miles of La Center, Kentucky. This is the 2nd earthquake I have felt here. Believe me when I say that if it shakes you sure feel it. Some people say that although they didn't feel the quake they heard it.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalWatcher
I live within 5 miles of La Center, Kentucky. This is the 2nd earthquake I have felt here. Believe me when I say that if it shakes you sure feel it. Some people say that although they didn't feel the quake they heard it.

Interesting.
In Taipei, we didn't tend to even wake up from a sleep unless it was 4.5 to 5.0 or above. Lower ones were just routine par for the course. We didn't necessarily have them all that frequently but often enough to not get very excited over the lower magnitudes. A 6.0 was a different matter. Particularly in areas with old style buildings and all the hazards that went with them--as a couple of bigger quakes down island demonstrated to great loss of life.
Do you have the quake ap on your phone?
How prepped are you for the big one?
How does your extended family feel about such issues, if they live in the area--and, I guess, if they don't live there?
Thanks for your kind reply.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I always wondered when Edgar cancer said the US would be divided or split , if he meant that fault line would blow. ????

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

I don't recall. It was more than 45-50 years ago when I read Cayce's stuff.

I don't think he specified any particular fault system, though.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Edgar cayce also said Virginia Beach,Va. was the safest place to live in the Us for enviromental catastrophes.....and that his metaphysics center would become ocean front property one day....which was interesting because he built the original center inland a few blocks from the beach and up on a hill ( or probably a sand dune back then ) . .....ironically, after he passed, a new center was built in front of it and at the bottom of the dune, and it was odd to me that it would be built there considering what he said....so...with out getting off topic....I was wondering if the new Madrid fault system blew, if it could cause the Atlantic Ocean to shift inward a few blocks permanently ? Causing inland houses to become ocean front property......while splitting the US?? ... Just an odd thought......a reply to: BO XIAN

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Thank you for your concern (and I`m sure ,prayers) for those of us who live in the area of "the fault that shall not be named" (don`t want to say its name.... might wake it up...LOL!)

Oddly enough, most people here that I have talked to seem to dismiss the idea that a full rupture could occur (or they are unaware of the issue altogether). I have to admit, before the frackquakes scared me to death, I didn`t think about it alot either.

Since the sheer terror of watching and hearing the drywall crack and the moulding pop off of door frames etc , I decided to learn as much as I could about the subject. I do the earthquake drills, I have all the prep done and I try to inform everyone I can about the need to prepare.

My husband spent a great deal of time in California as a child , and had experienced earthquakes there. He said the ones that happen here feel very different, and he is concerned (but he also knows I`m "on top of this" , so he doesn`t worry about our being prepared).

I have to confess, my biggest fear all my life has been earthquakes. Not tornadoes, or hurricanes (been thru all of those... before Arkansas I was an "east coast kid") or floods. But learning as much as I can about them, and having GEE etc ( as well as all of the amazing folks here who are on top of the subject) has helped me a great deal. I`m still not happy about the idea, but I am better prepared emotionally to deal with them when they come ... and I`m sure its just a matter of when.

I just pray for all of the people who are "unaware" , or who choose to be that way.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
There are many cities that are deep under water. some hundreds of feet below the ocean. It had to be a rapid movement of the earth to go that deep.
underwater cities

Interesting how whole parts of civilization just disappears. It's foolish to think that it couldn't happen now. If a big one hits California or Washington we would see a massive loss of life and areas could be swallowed by the ocean
edit on 3-5-2016 by jlafleur02 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
I always wondered when Edgar cancer said the US would be divided or split , if he meant that fault line would blow. ????

You mean Edgar Cayce ? Yeah , he predicted a major quake on the New Madrid fault. That the entire middle section would collapse and be under water up to Canada. One that could come true. Lets hope it never does.
Peace

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

Yeah. I don't think Cayce was getting his info from a GOOD spiritual source.

The dark group knows some truth but they always mix it with false junk to deceive and cause fear and problems unnecessarily.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonlover12

CONGRATS on your prepping.

Yeah. Have prayed for y'all. I have loved ones in several families in the region.

A lot of current Christian prophetic sources have had dreams and visions of such happening. To a person they declare that at some point, when we emphatically insist that Israel divide her land with the Palestinians, God will divide America at the New Madrid fault/Mississippi valley.

I think they are absolutely right.

IIRC, the underlying foundation in that region is quite different from the faults in California and in the Pacific NW. Somehow, the set-up fosters much more devastation when a big quake goes. I don't understand all that geology about that.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: jlafleur02
There are many cities that are deep under water. some hundreds of feet below the ocean. It had to be a rapid movement of the earth to go that deep.
underwater cities

Interesting how whole parts of civilization just disappears. It's foolish to think that it couldn't happen now. If a big one hits California or Washington we would see a massive loss of life and areas could be swallowed by the ocean

I strongly agree with you.

Geologists taught before the Bande Acheh quake in Indonesia/Maylasia area that massive quick earth changes COULD NOT occur. They teach a different tune now, as I understand it.

A massive 300-400 foot cliff suddenly appeared deep underwater in a matter of seconds to minutes. That's what caused such a big tsunami. Taught the brilliant geological know-it-all's a lesson in humility. I wonder how many learned it.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Good read, right up until the last bit where it started going on about some story spun by the sociopaths of old...

I've been following the increased seismic activity these past months- I have to wonder what's got our mantle in a tizzy.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
Geologists taught before the Bande Acheh quake in Indonesia/Maylasia area that massive quick earth changes COULD NOT occur. They teach a different tune now, as I understand it.

Then you understand wrong, totally wrong.
Instead of attempting to present a "religion great, science stupid" argument, do some research and you'll find that the potential for a mega-thrust EQ was absolutely known about, and there was plenty of historical evidence to show that this had affected the region before - and other regions too.

The same with Japan and their risk of Tsunami. They had experienced this plenty of times in the past and there was plenty of historical record detailing such.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I've been following the increased seismic activity these past months- I have to wonder what's got our mantle in a tizzy.

It seems that this increase is not just about perception.
I considered this at the start, knowing that reporting has improved and the data being gathered has increased pretty much everywhere, so it seems logical that things might simply look more dramatic than they are because of this reporting increase, but it looks as though even those at the recent Seismology event in Nevada agree that activity has increased over the last couple of months.

I'm sure I have read the opinions of three or four people who attended the conference who all seem to agree that there has been an increase, but that they just don't have any data to explain why this increase might be happening - they have factored in the increase in monitoring and reporting systems and this doesn't explain it.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Do you have any statistics on the raw or % increase?

Quake experts have been denying such increases for decades. I've been wondering if that's changed.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Maybe it's a semantics issue.

YES, the mega-thrust quakes were known to have happened and to be looming, in some sense.

Nevertheless, I distinctly remember reading an article by a bona-fide geologist that they did not believe that such a massive earth change as that cliff suddenly appearing could happen so quickly.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Of course Japan had experienced such tsunami's in the past and expects more in the future.

I said nothing about that prospect. I was very specific. The sudden appearance of that undersea cliff face of that height was something that geologists did not think could happen that quickly.

Geologists said that.

It's not very scientific to conflate across several points in a muddying-the-water sort of way.
edit on 3/5/2016 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Meldionne1

You mean Edgar Cayce ? Yeah , he predicted a major quake on the New Madrid fault. That the entire middle section would collapse and be under water up to Canada. One that could come true. Lets hope it never does.
Peace
. LOL...yeah it was late when typing that.....ill edit the spelling....! LoL.....and....I just tried to edit , but it's been over 4 hours so I can't edit post anymore.who knew ? ...well...I tried😀
edit on 3-5-2016 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
We have had some larger quakes in the area.

folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

My thoughts are that we have had alot of precipitation. That water gets in to the cracks and is like a lubricant.

I have noticed that the eastern part of the US has been ringing. I don't know why. All I know is it is noticeable in the helicorder's in the North eastern region's of the US and in the eastern providence's in Canada.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join