It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Houston High School French Teacher Accused of Not Actually Speaking French

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Another series of blue ribbon awards is lining up with this story.

Seems a French teacher in a high school does not actually speak French !!!!

An "investigation" by a local Houston Texas media outfit has determined it's true.

Although the "teacher" was supposedly assigned the task of teaching French because the regular teacher was "dismissed" from the job, the excuses are ironic, but the teacher did apparently take French for a year when he was in high school.

Wild education system there.

Blue Ribbons for the teacher and the school administration.

Houston High School French Teacher Accused of Not Actually Speaking French

An investigation by KHOU’s I-Team discovered a Houston, TX high school teacher is teaching a French class without actually knowing French.

According to Energy Institute High School student Nathanial White, French teacher Albert Moyer’s only knowledge of the language is “Bonjour,” which White said, “But everybody knows that.”

Moyer reportedly said in a brief phone interview with I-Team that his education of the language was just one year in high school.

If a student ever has a question about the language, White said they have to look it up on Google to find out the answer.

Parlez-vous Français ?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Seems a French teacher in a high school does not actually speak French !!!!

As history teacher do not know history
Civics teachers do not know civics
Physics teachers do not know physics.
All this could apply to 99.9% of educators today
It is not about education anymore. Just the teacher's agenda.

And
Je ne parle pas français

edit on 5/2/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The teacher was dismissed in december and for some reason he wasn't allowed to return.

I am wondering how many replacement French teachers there are in that area. They would have to be certified.

In a situation like that maybe they should have done away with the class unless the students had already been enrolled in it for a while.

There may be a lack of French teachers in the area. Whatever it is I am sure there is more to the story than what is in the article.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi
Mid 9th grade . Middle of the quarter . Logics teacher left for another school . Class was switched to Psychology . (I know , right) . But no fake Logic teacher.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: Grimpachi
Mid 9th grade . Middle of the quarter . Logics teacher left for another school . Class was switched to Psychology . (I know , right) . But no fake Logic teacher.

Oh my.... now we simply COULDN'T have them teaching LOGIC.. That would be a bad thing. /sarc

As far as language courses in HS, I wish more effort and funding was put into this. Just because English is spoke over a majority of the world, doesn't mean us Primary English speakers shouldn't all know another language, as well.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Yea, well.......o.k., I do speak a smattering of French and understand quite a bit more. I could doubtless be fluent in 6 months, but I don't bother and for a very simple reason. I've learned, and the hard way, and in France, that unless your French, and grew up in France, YOU don't speak French.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

That reminds me of a personal experience. In 1973 I was taking a year of Spanish courses in a community/junior college in central Illinois. At the winter break, our teacher went on a tour with other Spanish teachers to Mexico. She returned awe-struck. She said that the Americans could hardly make themselves understood in Mexico. She learned that her "expertise" was in Castilian Spanish and south of the border they had their own version.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

So what's the teacher been doing...putting on a comedy heavy French accent while speaking English?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

As far as language courses in HS, I wish more effort and funding was put into this.

Hahaha
They have to teach them the proper use of English first. You know , all those pesky , boring rules of English grammar. I before E except after C. However , now they are taught all those rules are "myths"

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
A very healthy percentage of the English teachers in China cannot speak English...and do not attempt to speak it in class. Instead, they concentrate on having students memorize the basic meaning and spelling of English words.

Even though children there begin studying English at an early age in school, the vast majority of them reach college age not able to speak, or understand spoken English. Reading comprehension is generally extremely low.

As students approach collage age, and if they intend to go overseas to study at a foreign university (a big thing culturally), parents will spend large sums of money sending their kids to private English schools. At these schools, the emphasis is not on gaining actual in-depth understanding of the language - but learning "tricks" designed to help pass the language level tests required to enter foreign English-language universities.

So, hiring language instructors who are not competent in the language they are supposed to be teaching, is hardly unique to America.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

It's hardly newsworthy that there aren't enough teachers to teach.
This is happening in various countries and for various reasons.
Lack of discipline is a major factor in why so few people are entering the profession, but there are other factors too including poor pay, bad working conditions, bad laws, stress, statistics being more important than actually teaching...

And lets remember that this is in Texas too, a state not exactly famous for being open and welcoming. There are plenty of states in the US where ignorance reigns supreme and far too many schools are more interested in high school football than actually educing.

I wonder how much money this school pays their football coach in comparison to how much they pay ACTUAL TEACHERS?

top topics

join