It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump, a Reagan for the 21st century?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I really liked Reagan in the 80's. after the disaster of Carter, Reagan was like a breath of fresh air. I know too many hate him on this site. I don't care. I liked him.

Trump is similar to Reagan in many ways.

Trump is getting lambasted because he had more liberal views a few years ago.

Reagan was a democrat before he became a republican. hell, Reagan was even pro-abortion!

I opened this up here because it's more of a chit-chat than a political topic.

I'm guessing that the people that hate Trump also hated Reagan. So any vile rhetoric won't shock me. I'll probably ignore it.

But I will ask, do others see any other similarities between the two?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I loved Regan and so did the country. He won 48 states in 1984 he was so popular with the people. That will never happen again.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

But I will ask, do others see any other similarities between the two?

Not really...Reagan had class! Trump is a clown!

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

People considered Reagan a buffoon, an actor who had no business in politics.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

People are more polarized now and they are dumber than they used to be, in my opinion.

So you're probably right.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Reagan was a clown to haha

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I'm going to hold my horses on calling Trump the next Reagan. Remember how Obama was going to be the progressive Reagan?

Yeah, how exactly did that work out again? I suppose if your idea of progress was to stagnate the economy after a deep recession, create absolute chaos in the foreign policy, create greater racial tension than at any point since the '60s, and wreck the health care system, then Obama was surprisingly effective.
edit on 2-5-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Reagan had already proven he could govern by being governor from 1967 to 1975.

Trump has proven he can keep going on his inheritance.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thanks for your insight. "If" there was to be a Reagan for the 21st century, I'd have to lean towards Trump. He as polarizing, he was opinionated, he wanted Gorbachev to tear down one wall and Trump wants to build one.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Point taken!

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

We'll see. I'm not labeling anyone only to look like a fool when things don't exactly work out the way we hope. I hope to be pleasantly surprised because disappointment is not a very viable option.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

By the way, I love your new avatar!

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I feel like Reagan and his administration are the ones who started the domino effect that has led us to our current situation, a corporate oligarchy where deregulated corporations own the government and push policies that benefit them at the expense of the middle class.

Yeah, things were good for a little while but we see where it has led us to today. The 2008 crash was a direct result of Reagan's deregulation policies when he became president.

Just my opinion but I think he's one of the worst presidents we've had in hindsight. He really screwed my generation over.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Agreed - Nancy ran the country with an iron fist and if Trump gets the nod, I believe he will also implement his immigration and economic policies or die trying.

As I said earlier - he's a career CEO so he is a corporate dictator who is used to seeing through big ideas to satisfy his shareholders.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Spot on Reagan saddled the country with so much debt and destroyed the manufacturing base. Sure he was a nice guy but he was just a puppet for the Bush/neo cons. Trump is the anti Regan.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BoxFulder
Nixon lost to Kennedy and one of the reasons was that he was not camera friendly. He had no visual charisma, where JFK was full of it. Big business learned from this experience. It took them twenty years to find the right face at the right time to put before the American public as a strong father figure. Reagan.

He was an amiable and mostly a milquetoast whose face was familiar to the public from B grade movies and soap commercials on TV. Once in office he was 'advised' by his big business handlers to open the floodgates that paved the way for the corporate personhood we have today. He was well into his alzheimers syndrome in his second term and received from his closest advisor, his wife, advice she gleaned from her spiritualist beliefs, tarot and other things.

Yes, many Americans loved Reagan because they could love their government again. He was supposedly an outsider. But not really, he was a puppet of big money.

Now Trump is considered an outsider. But for me he is just another case of big money grabbing power. They have just cutout the middle man which is what Reagan was. Sure, Trump appears like a political outsider but you can bet your bottom dollar any policies he helps put in place will serve big business, big money, and the powers that rule through the financial stranglehold that Reagan helped to establish..

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
If Trump wins the election, I will give him a chance, I'll watch him to see what he does while in office and then make a decision on what I think about him. A lot of his rhetoric is hard to take seriously and I think is inflated.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
If Trump wins the election, I will give him a chance, I'll watch him to see what he does while in office and then make a decision on what I think about him. A lot of his rhetoric is hard to take seriously and I think is inflated.

I agree.

I don't know what to think about Trump. Time will tell.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Carter gave reason for the rise of the silent majority to force a change in direction, that could be happening all over again.

There are people of retirement age who have never voted in their lives who are now compelled to stick Trump in the White House. They lived the American dream, got a retirement, now see that their own children and grandchildren are screwed compared to the opportunities they had. It's work till you die if you are lucky to have your health or waste away on welfare that is the only outlook for their progeny. Their numbers alone are not the important factor, their web of influence throughout society is. The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon all lead to them.

Trump brings out the rage of the radical left, physically attacking Trump supporters. This galvanizes the belief that Trump is a true threat to them that are the cause of their plight, making their Trump vote feel more valuable than ever.

Landslide imminent. Prepare to watch as the media covers it in their never ending quest for ratings. It won't be a love fest like they had with Obama, but it will still fatten their coffers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join