It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans have the bathroom issue backwards

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: thinline

a reply to: Metallicus

Don't talk about the 'Y' chromosome. Evolutionary science has no place in this conversation. it's all about feelings, and mental issues.

No, actually - - its about brain wiring.

Keep up.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

There have been transgender people for a long, long time. Those that could "pass" for the other gender usually just went to the proper restroom for them and no one even knew. But those who couldn't pass (early in the transition process, or didn't start transitioning until after the permanent effects of puberty, etc.) were marginalized - forced out of the restroom that best fit them. These were the transgender people who were suffering assaults. Why? Because there are some mean, stupid people in the world, not because the transgender people hurt anyone. The fault of the assaults lies with the mean stupid people, not with the trans people.

Because of this ill treatment, transgender people and their allies demanded that they be able to go to the public restrooms that were safer for them, hence the non-discrimination legislation.

This IS all about the religious right and their loss of control over this nation. When marriage equality passed, the religious right saw one more piece of their control fall away. With non-discrimination laws for transgender people being passed, the religious right saw this as yet another chink out of their armor.

The fault does not lie with transgender people being transgender. The fault lies with the religious right's last gasp effort for power.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Annee
Yes, but we are asking the question of gender and equality in gender. I have no issue at all with any of it. Personally, I think we should just have one large bathroom for all gender identities and call it good. But some people think if your reassigned, you should still go potty in the bathroom of your born gender. And I ask these same people, should this fighter also have to continue fighting men, or is she allowed to fight women? It's the same question being presented in here, right? If Fallon is being told she has to potty in the men's room, does she also have to fight men only? This gets tricky pretty quickly.

edit on 3-5-2016 by rollanotherone because: Html

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
There is quite a bit wrong with your post...and it is simple. Forever there were Men's and Women's rooms. The trans community decided to dress differently, have their bodies altered, etc. And let me be clear with this...I'm not saying that they shouldn't have done so, I'm simply pointing out that it required a decision, effort and money. It was intentional. So...now that there are people who "changed the game", it is their responsibility.

They 'decided' to be transgender. It was 'intentional'. Ooookkkaaaayyyy

Someone has to now determine what actions to take to solve the problem that community created. This wouldn't have been the case if NOT for that community and their actions. So...while it is on them and will cost money, time, etc...there is no reason that the bill should be footed by anyone but them.

'Problem'? What exactly was the problem? That individuals that look, dress, feel and live as men use the Men's room without incident? That individuals that look, dress, feel and live as females use the Women's room? And that's a problem how?

Much like a woman who can't afford a child because she is on welfare. If she decides to have the child knowing she can't afford to support the child, it shouldn't be the responsibility of the public to pay for what she decided to do...or not do.

Pump the brakes, yo. Said woman may not have affordable access to birth control. Said woman may have been using birth control and it failed. Said woman was abandoned or abused by the man who had equal responsibility in the outcome but left her holding the bag. Said woman can't afford an abortion. Said woman can't have access to an abortion because everyone else doesn't want their tax dollars funding a safe medical procedure that would curtail the necessity of welfare later down the road. But when she HAS the baby and has no choice to survive but to use government support.....well, tough sh*t lady. And how is this scenario ANYTHING like a transgender person taking a leak? Because she 'intentionally' 'decided' to have a baby for the sole purpose of living the high life on welfare? Jeez Louise.

But with all that said, I agree a solution needs to be found. But the solution can not be "do whatever you want" because it affects other people and they have as much, if not more of a say than the trans community.

Again, a person- who happened to be born as a man but now looks, dresses and lives as a woman- takes a leak in the Women's room...effects other people how? Because they may be squeamish about something they're not familiar with?

Some people are 'offended' by breast feeding in public. But ya know, my babies gotta eat so the boob's coming out whether you like it or not. Don't like it? Don't look. Don't like a transgender person using 'your' restroom? Don't look. Or wait 5 minutes until they're done and out of there.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
There have been transgender people for a long, long time.

My grandmother is 96. When she was in high school there was a female that dressed and lived her life as a male. Went by the name of 'Frank'. Even dated females. I'm sure even used the Men's room. Everyone knew, no one made a stink about it. That was over 80 years ago. That's exactly how the situation should be handled. Why are we, as a society, digressing now?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

What about farting in public? Don't like the smell? Don't sniff. Or smoking in public. Don't like second hand smoke? Don't inhale the air.

It's pretty easy really. Someone, somewhere is going to be offended by any and every action. No matter what.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

I can see why banning smoking inside a building would be appropriate, everyone is trapped in that air. But I also think that businesses (such as a bar) should be able to decide if they're a smoking establishment. Don't like it? Don't go there.

You KNOW someone, somewhere would try to legislate farting in public if given the chance. Oh wait, already happened, this woman tried to press charges:
Revenge Fart

If given the opportunity people would be trying to shove their own crap down all our throats over every aspect of all our lives. That's why we need to boil it down to the basics that everyone can agree on and let the rest sort itself out.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie
Oh, I agree, but aren't we imposing our right to breathe clean air on the rights of smokers to smoke indoors? See, we can't please everyone, and how dare we make smoking illegal. If people want to slowly kill themselves, who am I to take that freedom away.

It's like taking the freedom to urinate in what ever bathroom you feel comfortable using.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie
a reply to: rollanotherone

I can see why banning smoking inside a building would be appropriate, everyone is trapped in that air. But I also think that businesses (such as a bar) should be able to decide if they're a smoking establishment. Don't like it? Don't go there.

I was very much against it. I was one of the "my rights" people.

Until it happened.

Afterwards I went WOW! Air I can breathe. Restaurants I can breathe and taste my food. Restaurants I can take my children in and not worry about them breathing in other people's smoke.

Major advocate today for non-smoking and no-second hand smoke.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

And at the end of the day, the country is changing itself for 0.3% (in 2011 according to Gary Gates of the Williams institute UCLA so maybe 0.4-5% now) of the population.

America, Republic, not Democracy.

1 individual has same value as 1 million.

Science says its real. Nature - - - nothing to do with Nurture.

One individual? Really? Certainly not the case in abortion issues. Science says a fetus feeling pain as early 20 weeks is real.

Can you show proof that nurture has nothing to do with it?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone
Annee
Yes, but we are asking the question of gender and equality in gender. I have no issue at all with any of it. Personally, I think we should just have one large bathroom for all gender identities and call it good. But some people think if your reassigned, you should still go potty in the bathroom of your born gender. And I ask these same people, should this fighter also have to continue fighting men, or is she allowed to fight women? It's the same question being presented in here, right? If Fallon is being told she has to potty in the men's room, does she also have to fight men only? This gets tricky pretty quickly.

Nope, not going to discuss Fallon here. There's already a thread.

Its go to the bathroom of the gender you recognize for yourself.

Its not go to the bathroom that others prescribe for you.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

And at the end of the day, the country is changing itself for 0.3% (in 2011 according to Gary Gates of the Williams institute UCLA so maybe 0.4-5% now) of the population.

One individual? Really? Certainly not the case in abortion issues. Science says a fetus feeling pain as early 20 weeks is real.

Yes, that is what a Republic is.

Not going to discuss abortion in this thread.

There are plenty of sites you can search and plenty have been posted in these threads.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Annee

Nope, not going to discuss Fallon here. There's already a thread.

Its go to the bathroom of the gender you recognize for yourself.

Its not go to the bathroom that others prescribe for you.

Luckily you don't run the country.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

There are plenty of sites you can search and plenty have been posted in these threads.

I have search, and they are about equal when it comes to if its real or just a mental issue.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Charley Parkhurst - - Stagecoach driver. 1812-1879

She was a "man".

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I have search, and they are about equal when it comes to if its real or just a mental issue.

You discount what a transgender says about themselves?

Make sure what you read is current. This is a fairly new field of research - - - although transgenders have always been with us. Its how their brains are wired.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Charley Parkhurst - - Stagecoach driver. 1812-1879

She was a "man".

en.wikipedia.org...

In a time where it was a "Mans World" more than ever. She/He probably didn't want what was considered at the time a typical female life, And is certainly not unheard of. Definitely evidence /s.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

You discount what a transgender says about themselves?

Make sure what you read is current. This is a fairly new field of research - - - although transgenders have always been with us. Its how their brains are wired.

Yeah? And I've read that most psychologists actually don't really know what to do about gender disphoria and have decided for right now to just "humor" them as it were. I've also seen a few documentaries where people go as far as cosmetic surgery and hormone therapy can go, and they are still not satisfied. We can have this back and forth all day, but in the end I think its as evident as ever that the "science" is not settled like many claim.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee
Ok. So she's ok to fight other women. Got it.

As far as non smoking goes. I believe there's a thread already on that. But it's ok to discuss that here?
Anyways, I agree. I was able to go to restaurants I hadn't visited before. Now if we can only get smoke breaks during work hours stopped, and quit putting the work load on the non smokers, I'll be a happier person.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

a reply to: Annee
Ok. So she's ok to fight other women. Got it.

My comments in regards to Fallon fighting are in the thread that addresses that.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join