It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans have the bathroom issue backwards

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

This is a trans man. His birth gender is female. He is taking a picture of himself in the women's restroom, where he will be forced to go if these new bathroom laws go into effect.

So step back and think... these laws, wanted by Republicans, will force people who look like this man and are interested in other women to use the women's restroom. How does that make any bit of sense? It seems like that alone will increase incidents, not decrease them. It is like Republicans going out of their way to mandate an unnecessary law that gay men go to the bathroom with them, it just ends up sounding like the Republicans want some side action in the restroom.

Meanwhile, what happens if some rednecks decide this trans man is using the wrong restroom, even though he is using the correct one according to the law? Will they check his crotch or beat him?

It just seems like a Republican would want the transgender person to use the restroom of their new gender since that is who they look like and there wouldn't be issues with them staring at the other potty goers. This is what I would assume based on what I've seen Republicans on ATS say their reasoning for bathroom laws is.

Maybe Republicans aren't well-informed about what being transgender means and is. Maybe they haven't talked to a transgender person before, and that is why their view is so confusing.

Or maybe the bathroom laws aren't meant to protect people at all, but are simply meant to punish and make a mockery of transgender people.
edit on 02pmMon, 02 May 2016 19:39:49 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
All this bathroom crap is getting old allready. And confusing.

My solution? Instead of bathrooms/restrooms designed for multiple people, have multiple single user rooms. That's a time where privacy is greatly appreciated anyway!

I would be 110% in favor of totally private acomadations.

And the liberals and the conservatives can circle jerk about the next "huge" issue.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

That's a good one, it would solve the problem for sure.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
All this bathroom crap is getting old allready. And confusing.

My solution? Instead of bathrooms/restrooms designed for multiple people, have multiple single user rooms. That's a time where privacy is greatly appreciated anyway!

I would be 110% in favor of totally private acomadations.

And the liberals and the conservatives can circle jerk about the next "huge" issue.

Or...

we could really make it simple and keep it like it was: all women continue using the women's room and all men continue using the men's room. Just like we've always done.

Even Trump (of all people) realizes this is a stupid fight. If Trump passes on a chance to pander to conservatives, you know it's an especially stupid fight.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

We have all seen this woman's picture before. It has been used for liberal propaganda 100's if not 1000's of times including here on ATS.

You will never convince me that it is logical for someone with a vagina to use the men's bathroom. It is an easy, binary issue based on if you have a 'Y' chromosome or not. Just because you want to ignore basic logic doesn't mean the rest of us are willing to suspend reality for you.

+6 more 
posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
Since you posted this in another thread, I will post my reply here as well.

It is an easy, binary issue based on if you have a 'Y' chromosome or not. Just because you want to ignore basic logic doesn't mean the rest of us are willing to suspend reality for you.

Yes, it is true that biological males have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome (though that does get messed up). It is not your DNA which determines if you are male or female, but it certainly has a wide influence on other physical, cognitive and other characteristics. All of which will determine who you are.

Anything else is illogical and makes no sense to me.
It may be reasonable that relating to the transgendered can be difficult. Requiring that they conform to your sensibilities is not.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I don't think that idea would work well in areas where there are a lot of people i.e. sports stadiums and such. Not very efficient.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: darkbake

We have all seen this woman's picture before. It has been used for liberal propaganda 100's if not 1000's of times including here on ATS.

You will never convince me that it is logical for someone with a vagina to use the men's bathroom. It is an easy, binary issue based on if you have a 'Y' chromosome or not. Just because you want to ignore basic logic doesn't mean the rest of us are willing to suspend reality for you.

Have you seen proof of your own chromosomes? Have you spent the thousands of dollars required for a Karyotype test? Men with XX chromosomes and women with XY chromosomes are more common than you think.

There isn't some magic unicorn statistic you can use to draw the line.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake I think you might have a point about these laws being made just to mock and or in my opinion, even hassle a transgender person. My tablet screen is not showing the picture in your OP, but I imagine if I see a person looking extremely male in a female bathroom.. I would be like what's going on here?
My town is very forward thinking and I've never bothered to follow around someone who may or may not be transgender to see which bathroom they are using and I really don't care... I can't seem to find all these public restrooms when I really need one anyway and have to walk somewhat of a distance to get to one.
IMHO, we need more restrooms for those of us on foot.... that is my bathroom issue.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I agree with what you are saying, Phage.

I don't care how people want to dress, but that doesn't mean I am going to participate in their fantasy with them. They can be whoever they want and I can avoid them. That is the beauty of America.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I have multiple trans friends who look just as much like men as this one, and multiple trans friends who look just as much like a woman as most women do. It is not just this picture.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

They can be whoever they want and I can avoid them.

I avoid people on a regular basis. There is no law against that.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Not yet.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Phage

Not yet.

You're claiming slippery slope that will lead to forcing you to sit down next to a trans (not that you haven't unknowingly done so already)?
Seriously?

edit on 5/2/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I don't think a majority of businesses would even consider it. It would be way too expensive with all the separate plumbing and extra space they would need to accommodate multiple separate restrooms.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

You just posted this in another thread

Sex and bathroom use are a binary decision. Your DNA says if you are Male or Female. If you have a Y Chromosome you are a Male and you use the Men's bathroom.

And then now you say this:

You will never convince me that it is logical for someone with a vagina to use the men's bathroom.

Which is it? Your logic has a hole in it somewhere. I have a Y chromosome AND a vagina. Which one wins? I want your approval before I pee.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Maybe Metallicus secretly wants to sit down to go potty next to a man who has fully transitioned into a woman. More women in the men's room? Yes, please!
edit on 02pmMon, 02 May 2016 20:08:05 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

Maybe Metallicus secretly wants to sit down to go potty next to a man who has fully transitioned into a woman. More women in the men's room? Yes, please!

Yes, I am sure that is it.../face palm.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Which is it? Your logic has a hole in it somewhere. I have a Y chromosome AND a vagina. Which one wins? I want your approval before I pee.

How is that even possible?
edit on 2016/5/2 by Metallicus because: Readability Update

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Girl with Y chromosome sheds light on maleness - New Scientist
edit on 02pmMon, 02 May 2016 20:29:49 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join