It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pow = celebrity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This is disgusting.

How about a TV special honoring the soldiers that died??

story.news.yahoo.com...

NEW YORK (AFP) - The CBS News network is using the lure of a movie, television and book deal to beat rivals to an interview with Private Jessica Lynch -- hailed as a hero since her dramatic rescue from an Iraqi hospital.

Lynch, 20, has been courted by all the major US networks, but excerpts of letters published Monday in the New York Times show that CBS and its parent company Viacom have upped the ante by holding out the prospect of far more than just a TV documentary special.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:08 PM
link   
the Army of Jessicas has a very powerful lobby...

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Why should I be surprised?

I posted here the other day in jest.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I actually thought Private Lynch was suffering from amnesia. If there really was no dramatic rescue, or if she can't remember the details of what happened, are the media now going to further fictionalise this?

Or is it possible that she may come to her senses and be truthful on the whole matter?

I posted in jest. I forgot how seedy capitalism can be.

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I would not want to be a POW. And I wouldn't demean the experience of a POW, no matter how painful or comfortable.

But truth is truth, and the majority of media in the branded "War On Terror" have elected not to portay truth.

I'm not happy with any celebrity status accorded to Private Lynch until she recovers from her amnesia and speaks the truth.

www.thescotsman.co.uk...

Ms Lynch�s multiple injuries were caused not by the bullets or bayonets of enemy soldiers - nor, apparently, by Iraqi interrogation officers - but when the Humvee in which the lowly maintenance clerk was travelling hit a US army truck, crushing her bones and knocking her unconscious.

Four others were either killed or mortally injured in that crash. Among them was mother-of-two Private Lori Piestewa, Ms Lynch�s best friend and room-mate.

The new version of events has sown doubts over whether Ms Piestewa was killed by the enemy, as had been claimed, or whether she died as a result of injuries sustained in the Humvee collision.

Adnan Mushafafawi, who was a brigadier in the Iraqi army medical corps, a member of Saddam Hussein�s Baath Party and the director of the Nasiriyah hospital, has told the Washington Post that a policeman brought in two female US soldiers at around 10am on 23 March. They were Ms Lynch and Ms Piestewa.

"They were both unconscious," he recalled. "Miss Piestewa had bruises all over her face. She was bleeding from the eyes, a severe head wound."

He said Ms Piestewa died soon after her arrival. Asked if either soldier had stab or bullet wounds, he insisted "no, no". Pressed, he later said that "maybe" Ms Piestewa had been shot, but he was unsure.

A further revelation is that Ms Lynch was certainly not "fighting to the death", as had been claimed by US officials, when she was dragged off by Saddam Hussein�s troops.

Her rifle, which she was purported to have emptied into enemy lines, never fired a single round because it jammed. The Pentagon has launched an in-depth inquiry of its own into the ambush outside the southern Iraqi town of Nasiriyah that led to the capture of seven soldiers from the 507th Maintenance Company, including Ms Lynch, and the death of 11 others.

But the circumstances leading to the ambush are highly embarrassing for the US army. The Washington Post inquiry reveals that the soldiers involved had been deprived of sleep for 60 hours.

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 09:50 AM
link   
By now, I think we've all pretty much figured out, that this whole episode was a morale boosting farce from the get-go. Amnesia? Please.... Orders to shut up, and accept a rank promotion and base change of her choice, is more like it....

Any book, or TV movie about this, will be the biggest propaganda piece of crap out there....and Jessica is pretty much forced to play along.... Hence the amnesia bit. She can't say what really happened, because it won't jive with what they've trumped up...therefore, rather than have her get caught in a lie...amnesia makes a far better scapegoat, and inspires sympathy...

on this whole affair....

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 12:32 AM
link   
My simplistic thought is how are any of them heros for managing to get lost and ambushed. Incompetent sounds more appropriate. I am not cold-hearted. None of them thought they would ever see combat, etc. Hey, you guys know the U.S. media, they will sell anything to make a buck.

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I definitely agree with Freddie. I don't think women should be allowed in the military in the 1st place, except for the big bodybuilders who could kick my ass anyday with one finger. But how did this scrawny girl make it past boot camp?!

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 04:12 PM
link   
anyone watch the daily show's take on this?

it was hillarious...

Waaaa?

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Jessica was not the only POW captured during this war. Somebody owed Jessica a favor, like keep your mouth shut..

How many guys from Vietnam were held as POW'S for years? Yet the U.S. didn't go in to rescue them. We all got to watch them come home after the war.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Yet another fine example of how much more one can learn from a so called "bunch of conspiracy nuts" than from the mainstream media

top topics

join