It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetic analysis of Ice Age Europeans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
A little history i found interesting, not much knowledge about though.

I thought it might be interesting for others and spark some more knowledge from members.

SOURCE

The new genetic data, published May 2, 2016 in Nature, reveal two big changes in prehistoric human populations that are closely linked to the end of the last Ice Age around 19,000 years ago. As the ice sheet retreated, Europe was repopulated by prehistoric humans from southwest Europe (e.g., Spain). Then, in a second event about 14,000 years ago, populations from the southeast (e.g., Turkey, Greece) spread into Europe, displacing the first group of humans.

Archeological studies have shown that modern humans swept into Europe about 45,000 years ago and caused the demise of the Neanderthals, indicated by the disappearance of Neanderthal tools in the archaeological record, explained Reich. The researchers also knew that during the Ice Age—a long period of time that ended about 12,000 years ago, with its peak intensity between 25,000 and 19,000 years ago—glaciers covered Scandinavia and northern Europe all the way to northern France. As the ice sheets retreated beginning 19,000 years ago, prehistoric humans spread back into northern Europe.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I love this type of new info !
Ancient peoples trials and how they got
through them for us to be here.

So if I understand it somewhat;
Human populations north of Africa
while conquering Neanderthals shrank drastically
due to Earth upheavals.
Which eventually brought one of the bottlenecks
of depopulation we hear of.

Doe this mean Europeans came from
a relatively small genetic group?
I'm not a scientist ,obviously haha,
but I think yall know what I mean.

edit on 2-5-2016 by UnderKingsPeak because: paragraphs

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Some feel that an early form of animal husbandry may have contributed to the demise of the first wave of Homo in Europe. Theory is, that the newer waves may have brought with them early forms of livestock which may have helped spread some forms of infectious disease similar to what happened when the Europeans arrived in the New World.

I think it's a viable theory personally and one that I agree with.

Great find OP

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Half of European men from one man

Closely related to this post above.

I believe this puts detail into the second wave mentioned in your OP 14k years ago.

This second wave was spearheaded by one man and his brood it seems.

Nice post to put it all in more context

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I wonder if this data has added interestingly to our FTDNA data.

Does anyone else have info on that?

edit on 2/5/2016 by BO XIAN because: fixed for better accuracy

edit on 2/5/2016 by BO XIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
nice find.

i will dissect this article and see if any salient information is in there to support another thesis i read recently.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Is it just me or does the 1rst one have a sort of bone mullet thing going on there?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

From the same location of the Source you posted ...

and related

DNA evidence uncovers major upheaval in Europe near end of last Ice Age
February 4, 2016
phys.org...

DNA evidence lifted from the ancient bones and teeth of people who lived in Europe from the Late Pleistocene to the early Holocene—spanning almost 30,000 years of European prehistory—has offered some surprises, according to researchers who report their findings in the Cell Press journal Current Biology on Feb. 4, 2016. Perhaps most notably, the evidence shows a major shift in the population around 14,500 years ago, during a period of severe climatic instability. "We uncovered a completely unknown chapter of human history: a major population turnover in Europe at the end of the last Ice Age," says leading author Johannes Krause of the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History in Germany. Read more at: phys.org...

Now this is interesting !

The new data show that the mitochondrial DNA of three individuals who lived in present-day Belgium and France before the coldest period in the last Ice Age—the Last Glacial Maximum—belonged to haplogroup M. This is remarkable because the M haplogroup is effectively absent in modern Europeans but is extremely common in modern Asian, Australasian, and Native American populations. Read more at: phys.org...

Genetic analysis of 40,000-year-old jawbone reveals early modern humans interbred with Neandertals
June 22, 2015
phys.org...

In 2002, archaeologists discovered the jawbone of a human who lived in Europe about 40,000 years ago. Geneticists have now analyzed ancient DNA from that jawbone and learned that it belonged to a modern human whose recent ancestors included Neanderthals. Neanderthals lived in Europe until about 35,000 years ago, disappearing at the same time modern humans were spreading across the continent. The new study, co-led by Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) investigator David Reich at Harvard Medical School and Svante Pääbo at the Max Planck Institute in Germany, provides the first genetic evidence that humans interbred with Neanderthals in Europe. The scientists reported their findings in the June 22, 2015, issue of the journal Nature. "We know that before 45,000 years ago, the only humans in Europe were Neanderthals. After 35,000 years ago, the only humans in Europe were modern humans. This is a dramatic transition," Reich says. There is archaeological evidence that modern humans interacted with Neanderthals during the time that they both lived in Europe: Changes in tool making technology, burial rituals, and body decoration imply a cultural exchange between the groups. "But we have very few skeletons from this period," Reich points out. Read more at: phys.org...

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Out of Africa.

Then out of Africa via Asia.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Half of European men from one man

Closely related to this post above.

I believe this puts detail into the second wave mentioned in your OP 14k years ago.

This second wave was spearheaded by one man and his brood it seems.

Nice post to put it all in more context

You never know if there was a previous "Genghis Khan", that pillaged and raped the ancient world. Originating from Southwestern Europe. Genetic studies will tease this information out.

Kratos

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
And you have the out of Africa- into Africa migrations. The expanding ice sheets drove north Europeans into north Africa thousands of years ago.

East Africans have a quarter of DNA from Western Eurasians, the University of Cambridge has found

Scientists believe that most of the interbreeding happened following a mysterious migratory event which occurred around 3,000 years ago, known as the ‘Eurasian backflow’ when modern humans who left African around 50,000 years ago, suddenly flooded back.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Hmmm what cultural changes were seen in north Africa around 3000 years ago?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: zinc12

Death of King David and the division of the kingdom into Judah and Israel. Followed by attacks from Assyrians Roman Babylonians, Macedonia, and even Egypt.

Perhaps the not-so-faithful Israelites migrated out back to N Africa, as most invaders are north and east of them.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

I think 3,000 years is many thousands of years NOT NEAR LONG ENOUGH ago for what the OP is talking about.

Or have I misread it?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Scientists believe that most of the interbreeding happened following a mysterious migratory event which occurred around 3,000 years ago, known as the ‘Eurasian backflow’ when modern humans who left African around 50,000 years ago, suddenly flooded back.

In reply to Zinc12's question that was in response to the above quote

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Thanks.

Obviously I need to re-read it more closely.

top topics

join