It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyday Toxins That Are Harming Your Thyroid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
February 10, 2014 by Anya V

on Living Traditionally--traditional living in modern society
livingtraditionally.com...

. . .
Given the importance of making sure your thyroid operate efficiently, it’s advisable to be aware of its vulnerability to several toxins that are all around you in your everyday life.
Be wary of Soy and Soy Products
Soy, and soy based products have become more and more common on supermarket shelves, so much so that they have become part of many people’s everyday diets. Whilst in terms of recent research, there are camps that extol the benefits of soy, and camps that warn of a potential danger to thyroid health, you will need to do your own research in order to make your own informed decision as to whether or not you should include it in your own diet.
Concern about Isoflanones
To point you in the right direction with regard to the areas of concern, argument is centered about the Flavonoids that soy and soy products contain – Flavonoids specifically known as Isoflanones. There is enough hard evidence to suggest that for certain individuals, soy can indeed cause problems for thyroid health. This applies specifically to individuals who suffer from
. . .
Triclosan--a substance found in many every day produces
. . .

I'm on a thyroid med for hypothyroidism.
I suspect that the flame retardant chemicals in the memory foam mattress may well be a culprit. That whole situation seems like a criminal thing, to me. I think someone should begin a class action suit against such companies and the legislators who were complicit in all that.
It is possible to get an MD's prescription for a chemical free foam rubber mattress but that's also not cheap. I'll probably have to go that route.
This article raises the needed alarm on many substances that routinely afflict millions in their homes daily. I think it's worthwhile to crucial to consider your risk and make whatever fitting adjustments seem wise.
It seems like an endless battle . . . sometimes like trying to bail water out of the Titanic with a cup. In this case, there are usually alternative products that are free of the damaging chemicals. One has to seek them out, however.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=20673393]BO

Soy alone in moderation similiar to dairy, seafood, meet also come with health complications...

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

I've have a serious question for you, i'm looking for advice. I've been under the personal impression that I have an issue with my thyroid. However, anytime I've had tests they've come back "inconclusive" How were they able to diagnose you? What type of symptoms did you/currently have?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

I don't think all soy is created equal.

I don't eat much of it, now that I'm not in SE Asia.

Interestingly, soy virtually always has a kind of aftertaste like gasoline.

My food-science & nutrition Master's degreed friend there said it's because of how soy is processed.

Regardless the gasoline aftertaste is present for me in virtually all types of soy. Evidently I have a hyper sensitivity to that molecule. It's not that detectable when soy is a very minor ingredient thoroughly mixed in other substances.

Anyway--given the research, I personally would not eat a high proportion of my diet in soy.

Certainly moderation is a viable key in a lot of what we eat.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

My VA MD picked it up from a routine comprehensive blood scan.

And, my symptoms were consistent--fatigue too often and for no good reason. Lethargy. That sort of thing.

There may have been some groggy-headedness on occasion. I think that may be a symptom.

I hope you get a good work-up. It seems to me that a lot of the blood screening is automated with great technology. That should pick it up. Ask to see the percentages and what the normal boundaries are for optimal, good and acceptable functioning.

Thanks for your kind post. Please keep us posted on how it goes with you. The Doc just doubled my thyroid med my last annual physical.

I understand that there are homeopathic substances that do as well or better than the pig thyroid extract most of us take. I haven't investigated those sufficiently, yet.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Soy does effect the thyroid. Cruciferous veggies are also bad for the thyroid, cooking them well can substantually lower the goitrogenic effect of the cruciferous veggies. They only have to be boiled about ten minutes total, from cold water. The Soy is heat stable from what I have read. These foods calm people. Cabbage is a little better than others for calming when added to soups.

Spinach also is a goitrogen. It is also high in oxalates with little calcium to keep it from forming kidney stones. Oxylates are heat stable only so long, cooking it till tender destroys the oxylates. Add some cream to make sure, creamed spinach used to be common years ago. Also spinach dip has companion chemistry to it to help with kidney stones.

Certain oils are goitrogenic also.

Seems like everything they say is real good for us just calms us and they do not care how sick you get from overeating calming chemistry. They are not that smart, people who want to have energy and work hard do not eat that kind of food, they sense it dampens their energy. The only ones who believe it are those who are naturally nice because they already can't process energy well and too much calming makes them sick. So we are widening the gap between the two, good people are getting weaker and chaotic people are avoiding these and they get more advantage over the sick people.

I know many people who do not eat any green or like anything soy. They have lots of energy to go go go. The problem is that we do need some veggies in our diet, not just potatoes and carrots. But I will not tell anyone what to eat, I have extensively studied these chemistries and know that some people cannot tolerate them.

The opiate peptides in bread calm, but look how many people are negatively effected now that they engineered the wheat to produce more of the gluten which increased the main opiate peptide in it. Comfort foods when eaten in excess can be problematic. Sugar stimulates the creation of our natural opiate in the brain, that is the sugar buzz we get. Too much can make the cells need even more, moderation on sugar, not every day, is the way to go. Sugar as an occasional treat actually makes you appreciate it more.

There are four ways that goitrogenic foods work. Brocolli uses three. Eat your broccoli, the evidence shows that it does not effect you one of the three ways because of companion chemistry and the iodine in salt they say not to use. Don't worry about the other two ways, that is not in the parameters the research used.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Guten Tag-

Bo do You take Nascent Iodine? Start with the drops and put it in Your water. May I assume that You keep Yourself hydrated? This is important in a "healthy" (fit, no meds, tec.) Self but if the Self has a condition needing medication, then hydration ranks in front of food. You NEED water to live, the only MUST have yet the majority walk about de-hydrated. How does the battery in Your car work when it doesn't have water? Go get some aqua, I'll wait....

Back? Great take a big swig and then read this about Nascent Iodine and then type Me that this isn't something that would benefit You to the extremes.. I put a drop or 2 in each bottle of water. I could direct You to a real healthy behavior that would erase Your aging by 10-15 years, but You have to stick to it EACH DAY for up to 50 days. When I found this behavior I was on 7 Rx meds that including 2 different cancers. My last blood work for My new Dr. was answered with "You're the healthiest 52 y.o. I've come across.."

www.globalhealingcenter.com...

www.integratedhealth.com...

You HAVE to drink a lot of water. Your "body" is 70% water below the neck and 80% above it, You ARE water, and remember what Jesus The Chris† said "You are NOT Your body..."
You have to EAT exactly what You want unless under a physician's care (taking meds.) If taking meds, You have to eat to Your "Dosha" after taking a FREE 'dosha/guna' quiz Ayurveda.
You have to use coconut oil every day. Put it on wherever You'd be exposed to the Sun. This will also help to keep You hydrated.
Chug a mug of warm-Hot water in the a.m. as soon as You get upright.
Exercise daily, yet a meditative walk for 45 min. will suffice IF Your mind is 'clear' (free of thought)
Use either Ghee or Grape Seed oil for cooking.
Supplements:
Turmeric in pill form. CoQ-10. Garlic. Saw Palmetto w/Pygeum for the prostate for Mr. Yang/ Ms. Yin doesn't need this.

namaste

••• Your Mileage May Vary •••

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I'm a little puzzled by your research . . .

I've been told to eat more veggies--and have done so--for heart health etc.--which is great now, after the pacemaker. Arteries are "fine." Echocardiogram is "Fine." EKG is now "Fine." per the surgeon.

And, of course, broccoli, spinach, cabbage are all touted as great things to eat for maximum health, anti-cancer etc. etc.

So do you eat none of those things? What's wise about them?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Will check out your links.

Thanks.

I take most all the supplements you mention. I could increase the iodine.

I tend to drink a lot of liquid. OJ, Lemonade, Water, iced tea.

Could increase the walking.

BTW, your 2nd link 404's.

Is "Provodone Iodine" nascent? I'll check nacent out at Natural Grocers next visit.

Much appreciate all your exhortations.

edit on 2/5/2016 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

I'm a little puzzled by your research . . .

I've been told to eat more veggies--and have done so--for heart health etc.--which is great now, after the pacemaker. Arteries are "fine." Echocardiogram is "Fine." EKG is now "Fine." per the surgeon.

And, of course, broccoli, spinach, cabbage are all touted as great things to eat for maximum health, anti-cancer etc. etc.

So do you eat none of those things? What's wise about them?

Sure I do, I use some of them to control my epilepsy. They work better than the anti-epilepsy/antipsychotic drugs that I was given, with less really bad side effects unless I consume them every day. All anti-epileptic drugs have anti-psychotic activity, they target enzymes. Many are anti-folate which means they suppress the methyl cycle which causes many possible health issues if you already are an undermethylator. Methylation and thyroid function need to be balanced or problems occur.

If you can correctly process sulfur compoundsin the body, then these veggies cooked well are all right. But about forty percent of people can't do that well if too much sulfur foods are eaten. If you have thyroid issues, chances are you have lowered enzyme activity. Remember, there are many different enzymes and also coenzymes needed to properly produce a compound like the thyroid uses. The enzyme for the thyroid is actually made in the liver and is altered in the thyroid.

Isothiocyanates bind to the sites in the thyroid that iodine binds to. That messes things up. It causes enlargement of the thyroid and an imbalance between the thyroid and the adrenal gland. I hope I remember that right. Isothiocyanates are also hard on the heart. But you don't hear that everyday either.

Just cook the cruciferous veggies well and most of the bad goes away. Folate is crucial to the third stage of the blood making process, and anti-folate chemistries found in many veggies, particularly the cruciferous veggies, can lead to a reduction of good blood cells with adequate hemoglobin. This can lead to less oxygen reaching tissues and reduced blood volume or anemia in many people. If your blood volume drops, it can cause a raise in blood pressure to compensate and increased heart rate in some individuals. Remember, these blood stem cells are being created and dying or do not have the oxygen carrying capacity..

I pretty much understand this very well, having read and reread many articles trying to find out if what I was seeing was real. The only thing I cannot understand is why people will pass on the fact that these veggies are good for you without actually spending time looking at all the effects. Fad Medicine in our society.

Just cook the cruciferous veggies well, do not consume them more than two meals a week with at least three days in between. Cook green beans pretty well too. Do not consume too much sulfur foods but make sure you do eat some. Garlic used appropriately is good and it is good on beefs as it keeps our blood cells from sticking together from a reaction to the red meat. Onions work well also. This is if you don't have O blood, O type blood can usually eat beef.

The compounds in onions and garlic are a little different, but use these in moderation also.

For many people the nitrogen in green veggies is a problem, it reacts to cause problems with circulation. Others do not have a problem with this. If you get light headed after eating a lot of green, it is because of the nitrogens effect. Moderation of all nitrogen sources is important in that case, some enzymes could be deficient, others could be over expressed and either way that could be a problem.

This is actually really complex, you wind up with all sorts of alternate paths and induced reactions that occur in people based on genetics and metabolic differences. What is good for one person may not be good for others, in fact it may be bad for others.

Since my daughter quit eating broccoli and cauliflower, her thyroid function returned back to normal but it took over a year. No meds needed anymore.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Just something small to add...

I have been a Diet Coke addict for years. I knew it wasn't great but...

Well, I have also been struggling with my weight since 35. That was actually one reason I switched to Diet Coke instead of regular.

Nothing I was doing was helping me lose weight. Well, I recently read an article on aspartame and how high amounts block absorption of iodine and the thyroid needs iodine for lots of reasons including weight loss. I also had serious skin issues over the past three years which - interestingly - coincided with an increase in my Diet Coke consumption.

Of course, there are a host of other problems associated with aspartame "overdose" but the thyroid / inability to lose weight connection was enough for me to try cutting it out.

Well... In 7 days I have dropped 15 pounds just from cutting out Diet Coke. And I'm still losing. I know that sounds nuts but it's true. Now I have become an aspartame label hawk and you would be surprised what all it's in!

To get back on topic- for those who were asking other questions about the thyroid in general, I would seriously look at your aspartame intake. I know mine was grossly high and in moderation, maybe it's not so awful but I tell you I won't touch it ever again.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

WOW. Interesting about your daughter's thyroid.

I prefer spinach raw but eat it cooked as often as not. Broccoli I will eat raw or cooked. I like coleslaw. Cooked cabbage is not my favorite.

I have type O+ blood.

Heart rate is pacemaker controlled/supplemented now.

Not sure what my genetics say.

Much appreciate your input. Now I know who to go to! LOL.

Cheers.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
here is an interesting and informative article to read.www.webmd.com...

There is a good free course on Food as Medicine here that started today. This is my seventeenth course there. www.futurelearn.com...

These courses are free. Free is good, I do not need a certificate so it remains free. If you like evidence, you can buy a certificate, but I don't much care to be spending money to make me look better. I would rather spend the money on pans to make nicer bread.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

WOW. Interesting about your daughter's thyroid.

I prefer spinach raw but eat it cooked as often as not. Broccoli I will eat raw or cooked. I like coleslaw. Cooked cabbage is not my favorite.

I have type O+ blood.

Heart rate is pacemaker controlled/supplemented now.

Not sure what my genetics say.

Much appreciate your input. Now I know who to go to! LOL.

Cheers.

With coleslaw, the vinegar may do something to the goitrogens. Vinegar actually sort of cooks things. I haven't found out if it does in this case.. I partly cook the cauliflower and other veggies in the hot pickled eggs I make, but they sit in the vinegar for a while before eating and they do not zap your energy. In fact, with all the hot peppers, they make you sweat a lot.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I don't handle hot pepper well going down. I do take a capsule of cayenne, however.

Do you know of a genetics/DNA lab that uncovers the sorts of factors you mentioned?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: nicevillegrl
Just something small to add...

I have been a Diet Coke addict for years. I knew it wasn't great but...

Well, I have also been struggling with my weight since 35. That was actually one reason I switched to Diet Coke instead of regular.

Nothing I was doing was helping me lose weight. Well, I recently read an article on aspartame and how high amounts block absorption of iodine and the thyroid needs iodine for lots of reasons including weight loss. I also had serious skin issues over the past three years which - interestingly - coincided with an increase in my Diet Coke consumption.

Of course, there are a host of other problems associated with aspartame "overdose" but the thyroid / inability to lose weight connection was enough for me to try cutting it out.

Well... In 7 days I have dropped 15 pounds just from cutting out Diet Coke. And I'm still losing. I know that sounds nuts but it's true. Now I have become an aspartame label hawk and you would be surprised what all it's in!

To get back on topic- for those who were asking other questions about the thyroid in general, I would seriously look at your aspartame intake. I know mine was grossly high and in moderation, maybe it's not so awful but I tell you I won't touch it ever again.

If you do not make adequate enzymes to process the aspartame, a phenylalanine metabolite, then you could have inflammation which could lead to water retention. If it goes on too long it can cause fibromyalgia like symptoms. I don't think it is actually real fibromyalgia though, it is just diagnosed as that.

I'm glad you feel better after quitting.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

IIRC,

all the artificial sweetners are also corrosive to nerve cells . . . resulting in a host of neurological problems, over time.

imho, it is criminal to sell them.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I don't handle hot pepper well going down. I do take a capsule of cayenne, however.

Do you know of a genetics/DNA lab that uncovers the sorts of factors you mentioned?

Ancestry.com does the test for about a hundred ten bucks. Then you can download the data to Livewello and run gene apps yourself, they have a lot of resources to interpret the results. But it is a real lot of reading and looking up things to understand what it means. Livewello costs twenty bucks for lifetime access.

top topics

join