It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bodies of renowned mountaineer Alex Lowe and climbing partner found in Tibetan glacier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
American climbers Alex Lowe and David Bridges were lost in an avalanche on a Tibetan mountain 16 years ago , they were part of a 9 man team aiming to ski down the summit of Mt Shishapangma , a first for an American team.
16 years later their bodies have been discovered by 2 climbers acclimatizing for an ascent of Shishapangma’s South Face , the bodies of Lowe and Bridges still encased in the ice of the glacier that took them but said to be slowly emerging , what the mountain has taken the mountain returns.

Jennifer Lowe-Anker, widow of Alex Lowe, said in a statement released by the Alex Lowe Charitable Foundation: "Alex and David vanished, were captured and frozen in time. Sixteen years of life has been lived and now they are found. We are thankful." The statement read that Steck and Goettler, European alpinists, "had come across the remains of two climbers still encased in blue ice but beginning to emerge from the glacier. Goettler described the clothing and packs of the climbers to Conrad [Anker,] who concluded that the two were undoubtedly David Bridges and Alex Lowe."

On October 5, Lowe, Bridges and Anker were crossing a glacier at 19,000 feet when a serac broke off 6,000 feet above them, loosing an avalanche. Bridge and Lowe were buried. Anker was thrown by the windblast but survived with injuries. Despite a 20-hour search, Lowe and Bridges were never found. Lowe was considered among the finest all-around alpinists in the world. Bridges was an accomplished high-altitude climber, cinematographer and two-time US national paragliding champion.
www.rockandice.com...

Tribute to Alex Lowe from National Geographic Television.

edit on 2-5-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
And I just watched the movie everest.. which is a similar story.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
the story hit pretty much all my newsfeeds at silly o-clock this morning

i remember the news of thier disappearence too - where the hell has 16 years gone ?

i guess it gives thier realtives and friends a point to focus on .

` forever on the mountain `

new topics

join