It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida cop arrested and fired after beating handcuffed woman.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Rookie Florida cop arrested, fired after being caught on video beating up handcuffed strip club employee.

Not once, but twice.

I'm actually surprised that anyone was held accountable.

Some will say that she shouldnt have kicked at him and they would be right but that still doesnt justify his actions.

He was unharmed, his response was completely disproportionate.

Thing is, he voluntarily became a cop, no one forced him to enter this line of work.

As a cop, its understood that you may be yelled at, berated, "disrespected" and may even have to deal with people who get physical, its all part of the job.

And youre expected to deal with it in a calm, mature and respectful fashion. Why? Because its part of your job to demonstrate and maintain the moral high ground.

If a person in a customer service role is unable to politely and respectfully service the customers, he or she is fired, regardless of how rude the customer can be (with some exceptions).

If a cop cant deal with people who have behavioral issues without resorting to violence, then he or she should have chosen a line of work that requires no contact with potentially unruly people.

It is not part of the job to torture and attack citizens for acting exactly the way one would expect them to act when accepting this type of employment.

edit on 2-5-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Not sure what your point is, he's been arrested and fired, isn't that what you should expect? Were you hoping that wouldn't be the case so you could rant about how an LEO has gotten away with a criminal act?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

This is good to hear!

I couldn't help but wonder, after noting that he was a rookie, how many violent psychopaths look at all the police abuse of force cases and think, "Yeah! That's the job for me!!!"

Let's hope this becomes the new trend: Actually charging and arresting LEOs who abuse their position by abusing the people they have sworn an oath to protect and serve.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

Not sure what your point is, he's been arrested and fired, isn't that what you should expect? Were you hoping that wouldn't be the case so you could rant about how an LEO has gotten away with a criminal act?

I can't speak for the OP; but speaking for myself, yes, that is exactly what we should expect and demand! But the fact is that too often that doesn't happen.

There's nothing wrong with giving credit where credit is due. And, in fact, much good can come from it.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

What's the point
It's far simpler than you could imagine

The cops will be hated, mistrusted and there will be no respect for them, if there is any left now
Criminal brutal thugs who are a law unto themselves

The most dispicable part, SHE was HANDCUFFED

Protect and serve, themselves
edit on 2-5-2016 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Not sure how or why someone would classify the condemnation of police brutality as a "rant" but I suppose thats where biases come into play.

This particular cop may be held accountable for his actions but I was trying to make a more general point.

Cops voluntarily enter a line of work which requires them to deal with unruly people with behavioral issues.

Yet many of them seem mentally deficient to be able to deal with these people/situations without resorting to violence and or torture.

So why get a job which requires you to maintain the moral high ground (assuming this was and is an expectation of the police).

They should get a job digging ditches. They can then feel free to attack a shovel should it try to "resist" or "not cooperate".

Thank you.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Not sure how or why someone would classify the condemnation of police brutality as a "rant" but I suppose thats where biases come into play.

This particular cop may be held accountable for his actions but I was trying to make a more general point.

Cops voluntarily enter a line of work which requires them to deal with unruly people with behavioral issues.

Yet many of them seem mentally deficient to be able to deal with these people/situations without resorting to violence and or torture.

So why get a job which requires you to maintain the moral high ground (assuming this was and is an expectation of the police).

They should get a job digging ditches. They can then feel free to attack a shovel should it try to "resist" or "not cooperate".

Thank you.

I was making the point that the person was arrested for the crime, no cover up, no conspiracy. I've no idea about the situation as neither I nor you was there, but it's clearly not on to act like he did and he has been punished - end of story. The moral high ground as you call it as this person was judged not to have upheld it - if 99 other times they did and somehow snapped on this occasion, or if this is the first time they were in this situation and handled it badly I'm guessing you have no more idea than me so I won't judge based on that. I suggested it more as a rant because justice appears to have been done.

Thank you.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Black cops beating non black suspects.

When do the riots start?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Thank you.

Maybe because you spent very little time in the OP discussing the incident and the overwhelming majority of it ranting about cops' behavior in general terms?

Seems more rant-ey than article discussion-ey.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I only watched the first video.

Trouble is, I see three other cops that should be fired too, but I guess that's too much to hope for.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: BatheInTheFountain

When do the riots start?

What an original bit of race baiting! Very clever!

This woman is alive and her injuries were minor. The cop was fired, charged with a crime and has been arrested. Contrast that to one of several stories where an unarmed person was killed, the cop(s) was neither fired, charged or arrested and the conservative media rallied around him/them.

Does this cop have a GoFundMe campaign yet? He was clearly just dispensing well deserved "justice" to this "thug" after all.

edit on 2016-5-2 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

You mean like the balding cop who didn't so much as shift his weight let alone step in? Given the utter lack of reaction from the other cops in the video, it seems that they didn't see anything transpiring that they felt deserved a reaction which really makes you wonder about the atmosphere in that department.

Had this not been captured on video, it seems likely to me that no action against the cop would have been taken at all.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

He couldn't get a refund

Read the stripper part and quickly commented sorry.
After watching both videos and read what happened...
I'd like to smash his mansack with pliers, cut off his fingers one by one, slice the ligaments from his ankles, cut off his ear lobes, remove his teeth, stick pins in his eyes, and skin him off.

edit on 2-5-2016 by luciferslight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BatheInTheFountain

When do the riots start?

Ill bite:

Black cops beats woman gets arrested and charged immediately

white cops beat Kill black kid/man running away, sitting in car, walking with headphones in ears walking away, as in not a threat; Gets Paid admin leave, and gets off scott free for MURDER after lengthy legal battle.

disregard above... and disregard what i replied to. i fell for the bait thats all. just as ignorant
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

back to topic:

But We need more Justice like this. we need more competent LEOs. the entrance exam need to include a thorough background check and mental competence exam, i.e. psych evaluations before giving someone a license to KILL or terrorize.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I'm tired of people going after police officers for cases like this.
If you don't want to taste the floor than STOP RESISTING.
It's real simple - you OBEY and we treat you with kid gloves.
Step out of line and you will be met with force.
Police are the heroes of our generation and you people
better get on board or I feel sorry for what will happen
to you.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It is good that he lost his job. Personally, I think it calls into question the bald cop's integrity and professionalism that he just stood there, literally not moving, and did nothing to protect the woman.

Now here we go--yes, biases and perceptions do come into play, along with ignorance to localized laws and the training that LEOs undergo. The thing about biases and perception is that they work both ways. Not everything that you perceive to be police brutality is what you claim, and not everything that is justified as claimed by others truly has legal justification.

My point being that, for the most part, claims of police brutality are tantamount to being rants, because the OP of the thread generally editorializes the incident based on opinion (they never have all of the facts) and bias.

Now see, I agree here. I think that LEOs should be held to a HIGHER standard of conduct that the suspects that they encounter on a daily basis, and rarely should an officer be able to raise his fist to a civilian, especially one in handcuffs, except for in the most extreme of circumstances. Same goes firing a weapon.

And a lot of that comes down to training--I think that many, if not most, law-enforcement offices are either under- or mis-trained.

Your flaw in your question here is that you assume that most alpha males with a superiority complex (a) know that they're incapable of such moral restraints, and (b) that they would acknowledge that it's something that they can't control, even if they did know it.

I still stand by my assessment that the majority of LEOs in America are decent people and good at their jobs, but those that are not really do ruin it for everyone, including civilians and our liberties.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: BootsOnNecks

No offense, but that's a pretty ignorant assessment of reality

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

No offense but it sounds like you're someone
whom one day will have an intimate relationship
with the pavement if you haven't already.
Authority exists to be followed and OBEYED.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BootsOnNecks

Now I'm thinking you're a parody of a poster...a wee little troll with only five posts.

Disregarded.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I'm a troll because I haven't been here as long as you and my opinion differs from yours?
Typical liberal behavior - can't have a conversation so they run away while hurling insults.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join