It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bitcoin creator revealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The creator of Bitcoin has reluctantly revealed himself, ending years of speculation. In an interview given to the BBC, Craig Wright "has publicly identified himself as Bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto. His admission ends years of speculation about who came up with the original ideas underlying the digital cash system. Mr Wright has provided technical proof to back up his claim using coins known to be owned by Bitcoin's creator. Prominent members of the Bitcoin community and its core development team have also confirmed Mr Wright's claim" (as quoted from the BBC article).

Mr Wright was already one of the leading suspects, but now it seems as if it is official. Unless, of course, you think he has merely agreed to put his head above the parapet in order to preserve the anonymity of the REAL Bitcoin creator(s). Maybe this will now allow the technology to be rolled out more generally - not just for payments, but for many other areas where proof of ownership is crucial.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: lacrimoniousfinale

www.cryptocoinsnews.com...

www.reddit.com...

www.theguardian.com...

edit on 2-5-2016 by XyZeR because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: XyZeR

Thanks for the links, which I have now followed and read. My brain hurts. Can the real Satoshi Nakamoto please stand up?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This is word for word what I read on gizmodo earlier. If you're going to copy and paste, at least use the proper tags.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 5/2/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
It is a shame almost. The trollbox over at Btc-e is going absolutely wild lol. Props to this guy. May he never sell off his hordes of bitcoin.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
This is word for word what I read on gizmodo earlier. If you're going to copy and paste, at least use the proper tags.

In my own defence, it is also word for word what I read on the BBC website, which is why I put it in quotation marks and added "as quoted from the BBC article" at the end. Nevertheless, I will take up your suggestion and endeavour to find out how to use the proper tags.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Wikipedia has the following to say:

On May 2, 2016, Wright publicly claimed to be the creator of Bitcoin. This claim was corroborated by Bitcoin Foundation Founding Director Jon Matonis in a blog post,[51] stating "For cryptographic proof in my presence, Craig signed and verified a message using the private key from block #1 newly-generated coins and from block #9 newly-generated coins (the first transaction to Hal Finney)." However, the claims were quickly disputed, with many pointing out that the signature was merely the freely available public signature from the Block #9 transaction Base64 encoded.[citation needed]

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Shenanigans!

The very idea that you would only privately verify (therefore purposefully avoiding easy public verification ) is a deal breaker for me.

Maybe its some sort of money moving scam that allows Wright to cover his tracks but I can't see how the likes of Andresen would be taken in by it....unless he is in fact falling on his sword and fulfilling a promise to cover up for John Nash at the first plausible opportunity....

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Why does matter who the actual creator of Bitcoin is? I feel like I'm missing something here. it seems to be all over the news?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ware2010
Why does matter who the actual creator of Bitcoin is? I feel like I'm missing something here. it seems to be all over the news?

Somebody created a "more fair" version of Money that has (pretty much) stood the test of time in terms of code integrity, purpose and economic relevance.

In addition to it being fairer, it also has a fairly novel implementation of "laws and contracts" that can be incorporated into the instructions that control a transaction (therefore removing the need for Banks, Lawyers and various other shysters who make money out of money changing hands).

Just think about what the above entails whilst doing so anonymously...
Someone was VV busy.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
New Theory - Wright was there in the early days and rode on the coattails of Dave Kleiman.

TLDR: Evidence that Dave Kleiman (the dead partner of Wright) was also a Windows programmer with a very strong background on security.

He developed a product (called S-Lok) distributed by S-Doc as a security tool (a sort of hardening tool-kit)

At S-Doc, cryptography was heavily used to develop several products, broadly aimed at reliable and verifiable transmission of data and messages, centred around the idea of a an "unalterable, encrypted audit log system".

I think this paints Kleiman as a very plausible author of the first Bitcoin software

When the news that Craig Wright could have been Satoshi emerged, I purchased his book “The IT Regulatory and Standards Compliance Handbook” in order to search for clues that he was Satoshi.

I was disappointed. The book is published in 2008; more precisely, it says “this week” referring to February 2008 (p. 644), terefore when Satoshi would have been fully working on Bitcoin.

There book deals with other subjects, but there are several occasions where something bitcoin-like could have emerged. For example, all mentions to cryptography are rather vague (ok, the book’s subject does not require a LOT of crypto, but nevertheless...). Digital signatures are treated (they are generally called “electronic signatures”), but again nothing that echoes concepts that would return in Bitcoin.

So, no proof that he was NOT Satoshi, but no evidence that he had similar interests in that period, either.

I then started giving a look at the books authored by Dave Kleiman. There are a few, generally dealing with Windows security including one co-authored (among others) with Craig Wright.

Then I stumbled on his book “Winternals Defragmentation, Recovery, and Administration Field Guide” There is an interesting bio of Kleiman in that Amazon page, listing his titles, and containing:

He has developed a Windows Operating System lockdown tool, S-Lok (www.s-doc.com/products/slok.asp ), which surpasses NSA, NIST, and Microsoft Common Criteria Guidelines.

So, we now know that Kleiman was a security expert, was good at Windows security, and had written software for Windows.

The web site for the company seems down, but archive.org helps here:

web.archive.org...://www.s-doc.com/products/slok.asp

This is a mirror of the page about the program written By Kleiman on the company’s site, taken in the months he was probably working on Bitcoin.

The software is described thus:

The S-LokTM system is a Comprehensive System Hardening Solution that dramatically enhances your OS security by appropriately altering your system registry, security database and file system ACL's.

(from its technical brochure )

Nothing too exciting here. A software related to security, but a quite boring one.

It gets more interesting when you start looking at the line of products that were being developed at s-Doc. This page lists a few PDFs about them: web.archive.org...://www.s-doc.com/technical/technical.asp

mirrored in drive.google.com...

Basically, it was a suite of products allowing cryptographically secure distribution of data and messages:

S-doc™ develops products that solve the most urgent business problems of the Information Age. They protect sensitive information during transport over an open network and when at rest during server storage

It’s nothing specifically bitcoin-like, but yet it’s an environment heavily imbued with cryptography:

The encryption algorithm (Triple DES, Skipjack or Rijndael/AES at a key length of 168, 96 and 128 bits, respectively), chosen at the time of system installation, is seeded by SITT using an RNG (Random Number Generator). Either a standard hardware white-noise generator or FIPS 186-2 approved pseudo-algorithm generates the unique encryption key for each and every transaction.

The core of the system seems to have been “an unalterable, encrypted audit log system”.

S-doc solutions include an unalterable, encrypted audit log system. All transaction activity and user access is available to authorized administrators, originators and compliance officers without exposing the underlying information.

(reminding of zero-knowledge proof)

What I also found interesting is the document about S-Doc's applications in finance and insurance: drive.google.com...

Once again emphasis is placed on the “unalterable, encrypted audit log system” log.

In conclusion: There is of course no direct evidence of Bitcoin in the material, but it can be seen that S-Doc was a place where creative uses of cryptography were usual.

Also, concepts like “unalterable, encrypted audit log system” were common knowledge at S-Doc.

Dave Kleiman was an accomplished Windows programmer, with exactly the technical capabilities and the cultural history one would expect from the author of the Bitcoin software

I think he is by far the best candidate for this title.

www.reddit.com...

It makes sense if we consider that Craig is persistent beyond huge internet opposition. He's forcing something because he knows he can...
edit on Thu, 05 May 2016 01:18:57 -0500 by MemoryShock because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
^ Not buying that either.
When Bitcoin was born, these 2 (Dave and Craig) were apparently busy patent trolling perfectly normal technologies.

Dave can code ( apparently) but where does the revolutionary interpretation of Economic theory come from??

Although Bitcoin is perceived as software, its the encapsulation of "collaborative economics" ( see all major banks currently developing their own distibuted ledger) that sets it apart.

edit on 5-5-2016 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Well, it seems that Wright is backing down.

Bitcoin 'creator' backs out of Satoshi coin move 'proof'

Dr Wright said that he was "sorry". "I believed that I could put years of anonymity and hiding behind me," he blogged. "But, as the events of this week unfolded and I prepared to publish the proof of access to the earliest keys, I broke. I do not have the courage. I cannot.

So is he Satoshi Nakamoto or not?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shadoefax
Well, it seems that Wright is backing down.

Bitcoin 'creator' backs out of Satoshi coin move 'proof'

Dr Wright said that he was "sorry". "I believed that I could put years of anonymity and hiding behind me," he blogged. "But, as the events of this week unfolded and I prepared to publish the proof of access to the earliest keys, I broke. I do not have the courage. I cannot.

So is he Satoshi Nakamoto or not?

Your quote answers that question.
If you believe these are the actions of a secretive genius who wishes to stay anonymous, I offer solely to thee these magic beans.

ETA: BBC's Rory Cellan-Jones: provides pitiful excuse which should be entitled "How I swapped the Cow".

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 5-5-2016 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

top topics

join