It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Star Wars: Rogue One’ Actor Confirms Flashback Scenes And ‘Iconic Characters’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Mikkelsen began by confirming the presence of “iconic characters” from the original trilogy in Star Wars: Rogue One. Such a description certainly alludes to the likes of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo (still alive in Rogue One’s timeline), Princess Leia, Chewbacca, the droids and perhaps even more. So, who exactly will show up? “Some of them – but I would reveal too much,” Mikkelsen said. “There are iconic characters in our film and also characters you have never heard of. It’s a mix.”

More than likely, Mikkelsen is referring to Darth Vader, who was at the height of his power during the era of Star Wars: Rogue One. Numerous reports already suggest the Sith lord will make an appearance, but his role has yet to be officially confirmed. Still, this is highly encouraging news for those who complained about the lack of lightsabers in Rogue One’s trailer. And if Darth Vader is making an appearance, don’t be too surprised if Emperor Palpatine features as well. He certainly fits the bill of “iconic.”
‘Star Wars: Rogue One’ Actor Confirms Flashback Scenes And ‘Iconic Characters’

Of course, Disney is going to add things like flashback scenes And ‘iconic characters,' they will increase interest in the film and add to the bottom line. Some people who aren't interested in the "Rogue One" story (it sounds boring to me) will watch the film simply to see a character such as Darth Vader up on the screen again.

I totally understand that until one realizes that it's just part of a corporate formula meant to maximize profits. When Star Wars belonged to George Lucas, the franchise was genuine art. And thus, it was interesting. Even when it failed (i.e. Jar Jar Binks); it still was worth paying attention to because a unique artist was trying to say something to the world; that is the essence of art. Genuine art is usually interesting even when it's bad.

Now, when you know what you're watching is just a cash grab by a greedy corporation, I don't see anything worthwhile in that.

I just hope someday another George Lucas will come along and make some great Star Wars movies once again that are pure art. That's when I'll get excited about the franchise again.

Please save me from the formulaic garbage that Star Wars is becoming.

For now, Star Wars is being turned into a money-making machine where art is being pushed to the wayside. George Lucas admitted it IMHO:

In an interview with Charlie Rose, George Lucas spoke about everything from his and Disney’s branching vision to the deal itself. Lucas, who has always been protective of his series and even refers to them as his “kids,” hasn’t been looking back well on the deal with Disney (via Collider).

“I sold them to the white slavers that takes these things, and…,” Lucas said before laughing and deciding it better not to finish. (See the interview below. Lucas mentions the “white slavers” around the 50-minute mark)
George Lucas Says He Sold ‘Star Wars’ to ‘White Slavers’

www.youtube.com...
edit on 1-5-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I am looking forward to Rouge One I read an article that said Vader will definitely be in it and he will be ruthless.

Using the force to create barricades of bodies to block blaster fire while walking a field and massacring his enemies was described.

The new ones will not be art, but they will be better than 98% of the movies coming out.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I didn't even know there was a trailer for it out already. All I could find was this teaser, thought this thread would be a good place to share it

Also for the record, STAR TREK > STAR WARS
SUCK IT!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Ok I hadn't even watched the trailer before postings a minute ago.

It looks kind of freaking amazing. I wish the Star Trek reboots had felt that gritty.
edit on 1-5-2016 by SmurfRider because: Typo

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I do understand and relate to your point of view on the new era films, but I wouldn't go quite so far as to say they're no longer art and are "just" a cash grab. Certainly money is a big motivator as well as making creative choices to maximize global appeal, but the creators involved are still artists and care about their work being perceived as good and worthwhile. John Williams for example is putting just as much effort and passion into the music as he ever did. With Episode VII I feel the repetitive, predictable nature of the film was more down to J.J. Abrams being something of a mimic, his not really understanding the source material on certain levels (like how space physics and distances work), and Disney wanting to play it safe by veering 180 degrees from the prequel spirit (say what you may about the overall quality, it's hard to deny that the prequels were incredibly creative and richly full of interesting visual design, music, subplots etc on a level that is sorely lacking in the new material thus far).

Both Gareth Edwards and Rian Johnson, directors of Rogue One and Episode VIII, have much better pedigrees than J.J. Abrams in terms of putting their own unique spin on things and creating what might more easily be viewed as "art"....especially Johnson who among other things directed two incredible, dense, emotionally intimate episodes of Breaking Bad that have stuck with me to this day. Everyone involved in the production who's said anything seems to think he's creating something entirely new for Episode VIII that we've never seen in Star Wars before, so I'm optimistic that the new movies will turn out to be more than just a cash grab in the end. I'm lukewarm on VII but for now I'm going to blame that on Abrams and the masses' prequel hatred. We'll see!

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
This will be one of the most epic star wars stories ever made. Its not about Jedi its about a covert ops team of rebels stealing the death star plans.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Not bothering to read the OP

Why not????

Because I pretty much predicted 90% of TFA because read into everything that was going on on set and in hindsight as much as i enjoyed the movie i would have liked it even more i hadn't knew so much about it before hand

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
And George Lucas gets to talk about 'art' in the Star Wars universe after he put those three wretched prequel movies in front of us? I think not.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Darth Vader will be in it. I read somewhere that James Earl Jones has signed on to voice the character again. I can't wait for this movie!!

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I'm with you OtherSideoftheCoin. I wish I hadn't over-analyzed it so much. I went into it pretty much knowing all of it, and this was on opening day no less.

So I won't do the same again.

For now, Star Wars is being turned into a money-making machine where art is being pushed to the wayside

Totally disagree. I think the last film was one of the best of the entire franchise. It totally delivered the film most of the fans wanted to see, and brought in a whole new generation of fans. Are they out to make money? Sure. You don't spend millions of dollars to just make art. But, doesn't make the two exclusive either.

It's a rich universe, rich characters, and just SO MANY possibilities with the franchise. I think Lucas knew what he was doing, and he certainly put it in some of the most capable hands. I also like how he didn't freeze out the original cast. He easily could have done so.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
OK, so are they the ones who stole the original Death Star plans? If so, weren't those Bothans, or are Bothans just humans from the planet Botha or something?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I stopped expecting the new movies to be held to anything canon once they said Ep. 7/8/9 were going to be totally different storylines than George Lucas ever intended. Which is part of the reason I hated ep.7 so much. I think I'll enjoy the spin off movies much more than the direct storyline. I've never felt a connection to Luke Leia Han anyways. Picard has more depth than the entire cast of star wars put together.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: SmurfRider
I stopped expecting the new movies to be held to anything canon once they said Ep. 7/8/9 were going to be totally different storylines than George Lucas ever intended. Which is part of the reason I hated ep.7 so much.

You hated Episode 7 because it was not what Lucas intended? Did you read what Lucas intended to have a baseline on that decision? How did his proposed plotlines deviate from the actual film and what differences did you hate?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SmurfRider

Well, I'm asking because that was clearly Mon Mothma, and I remember her talking about the Death Star at one point and saying, "Many Bothans died to bring us this information." But that was Death Star II ... so maybe this is a different crew doing Death Star I?

And I don't have problems with Ep. 7, it was entertaining enough except for how they tried to drag out the drama of Ben killing Han which didn't work for me.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No, not so drastic, it just turned me off that JJ basically turned it into a reboot continuation (coincidentally I've disliked most/all of JJs movies). There were a lot of reasons I didn't like it, I felt that it was very contrived & forced, & really catered to the new masses (modern movies are all crap for the most part, which to me is a reflection of society being crap)

I'm actually not sure if Lucas 7/8/9 concepts & scripts were ever released to the public. Not to mention that Star Wars had a ton of development in comics & other spin off media which Disney & Abrams decided to pretend never existed, which leads me to responding to a reply to: ketsuko

I wouldn't expect any of the new movies to follow anything that has ever happened in any past Star Wars media.

edit on 3-5-2016 by SmurfRider because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: SmurfRider
I'm actually not sure if Lucas 7/8/9 concepts & scripts were ever released to the public.

He never wrote full screenplays, only extended treatments. The fact that Kasdan participated in the script rewrite process (along with Abrams) should be telling. This film was certainly better than Episode 1, 2 or 3.

Not to mention that Star Wars had a ton of development in comics & other spin off media which Disney & Abrams decided to pretend never existed...

The majority of Star Wars fans do not care about the Extended Universe and could not care if it was rendered irrelevant.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SmurfRider

No, not so drastic, it just turned me off that JJ basically turned it into a reboot continuation (coincidentally I've disliked most/all of JJs movies).

You know what, its fashionable to criticise movies.

This whole thing of "its just a remake of a new hope" is just the same repeat of what every internet critic says now yes the movie has some striking resemblances to A New Hope but its also drastically different in many ways. I just think that there are quite a lot of people online who like to take a dump on everyone else's joy, there are some people who think it somehow makes them a film buff if they can say things like "Ahhh its way to much like A new Hope" or "jeez look at the JJ lense flare".

It is a good movie, if you like Star Wars its good movie by the standard Emprie set, but like I say some people i find online (not specifically you) seem to think that lines like "pft originals were better" make them appear to have some kind deeper sense of taste and knowlage when it comes to the movies. Its a little bit like when a PC Gamer says "pft get a PC and you wont have to worry about that"..

Not to mention that Star Wars had a ton of development in comics & other spin off media which Disney & Abrams decided to pretend never existed

CHEWBACCA WAS KILLED BY A MOON!!!!

Nuff said.

There was a lot of crap in the old EU, lots of very good stuff, and you can actually argue that a lot of the stuff that went before Phantom Menace is still technically cannon.

I really think that some old Star Wars fans need to just accept these changes.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Now, when you know what you're watching is just a cash grab by a greedy corporation, I don't see anything worthwhile in that.

Personally, been a long time SW fan, since the first film came out....and I loved the new flick. It lived up to my expectation.

This has iconic flashbacks because it is fleshing out the character of Rey's mom (in my opinion).....

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

OK, so are they the ones who stole the original Death Star plans? If so, weren't those Bothans, or are Bothans just humans from the planet Botha or something?

I think it was more that the Bothans supplied the info that the Emperor himself was overseeing the details on the SECOND Death Star...(though really, it was part of the Emperor's trap)...

Totally different than the FIRST Death Star in Episode IV.... In that one, Leia had the plans in R2-D2, we're not sure how she got the plans herself, though this next film should show that...

new topics

top topics

join