It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Clinton and Two Minutes of Hate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
For quite some time I've been searching for the right way to describe the hatred and vitriol people seem to have for Hillary Clinton. It's easy to dismiss it as simple disagreements about political ideology and disdain for her record as a lawyer and politician, but I was fortunate enough to have an experience that I think finally set-off a light bulb in the brain.

Yesterday I was forced to do something I try to avoid if I can...socialize. I had to attend a personal get-together for a special individual in my life and there were many, many people attending. At these sorts of events, I try to make sure that I take little breaks from time to time to keep my energy up and get some respite from the constant bombardment of busy social situations.

I stepped outside for a smoke and to enjoy a glass of lousy domestic beer. Off to one side of the large deck outside the home, were a group of 4 men doing the same. They were having a smoke and enjoying their drinks, but they were also discussing politics. Two of the men were die-hard Trump fans, one was fond of Cruz and the last man did not definitively say which candidate of choice was his favorite.

But then one of the men mentioned Hillary Clinton and the conversation, which seemed fairly calm and lighthearted, switched on a dime and a feeling of tense anger rose. They parroted the typical talking points about her record, how she was a criminal and would be in prison soon. The hate flowed for a while, with all men engaging in the bashing, and then it seemed to calm down and the conversation evolved on to other topics.

I was off to the side observing this and it occurred to me after I witnessed it that what these men just engaged in was similar to the Two Minutes of Hate from the book 1984 by George Orwell. Just the mentioning of the name brought about anger and resentment, causing them to verbally lash-out and express their hatred. But at the same time they forget about the others, possibly even those they support, that contribute to our problems as a nation. Their focus was on this one symbol of "evil".

It also occurred to me that the same can be witnessed online on websites such as these. People will become angry and lash-out against Hillary in hate-filled rants, expressing how evil she is and her criminality. Sometimes after such rants, they will say something like "Trump 2016, which is very similar to the book 1984 in which the brainwashed minions spit their hatred for Emmanuel Goldstein, only to begin chanting the praises of "Big Brother" as the Two Minutes of Hate comes to an end.

I believe this simple observation opened a door for me to better understand where people are coming from. People are brainwashed and cannot help themselves but to engage in the "Two Minutes of Hate" when certain names are brought in to conversations. They must release that anger, and in doing so forget about those that really play a part in their perceived "enslavement".

I'm sure many will disagree with me on this topic, but I think I have found the best example to explain why people have so much hatred for Hillary and why they feel compelled to express that anger in the manner in which they do.

Has anyone else noticed this?

+66 more 
posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Or could just be that Clinton is the living embodiment of every corrupt scumbag politician stereotype there is.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Or could just be that Clinton is the living embodiment of every corrupt scumbag politician stereotype there is.

That it is exactly what the people in 1984 believe about Emmanuel Goldstein. Their objectivity is blinded by their brainwashed desires to hate someone for hate's sake...because they have been trained to do so.
edit on 1-5-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

+26 more 
posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Or maybe the truth is its you who is brainwashed.

Sometimes after such rants, they will say something like "Trump 2016, which is very similar to the book 1984 in which the brainwashed minions spit their hatred for Emmanuel Goldstein, only to begin chanting the praises of "Big Brother" as the Two Minutes of Hate comes to an end.

I think you could replace that with "Bernie" or anyone else honestly, as its not indicative of any kind of special "brainwashed" hate for Hillary.
edit on 1-5-2016 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

Sometimes after such rants, they will say something like "Trump 2016, which is very similar to the book 1984 in which the

I think you could replace that with "Bernie" or anyone else honestly, as its not indicative of any kind of special "brainwashed" hate for Hillary.

The same could be said about those that go on hate-filled rants against Hillary and proclaim the superiority of Bernie. That does not negate my overall premise.

Edit:

I hold no allegiance to any political candidate. I'm free to think whatever I wish.
edit on 1-5-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Here's a reason.

edit on 1-5-2016 by Naturallywired because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Sometimes after such rants, they will say something like "Trump 2016, which is very similar to the book 1984 in which the

The same could be said about those that go on hate-filled rants against Hillary and proclaim the superiority of Bernie. That does not negate my overall premise.

But your overall premise was about hate towards Hillary. If you love her that's fine, but don't stick us all in the "hateful Orwellian brainwashed minions" camp.

In the words of one Disney princess: Let it gooooooo.

Edit for your edit: No one is saying you aren't free, but so are we free to dislike or "hate" her. And making an entire post about Hillary makes it seem like you are a Hillary supporter.
edit on 1-5-2016 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The same thing happens/does happen/would have happened if the name "Obama" would have been mentioned.

If the group of people you saw had been active Democrat party voters, the same thing would have happened if Trump was mentioned.

This isn't exclusive to Hillary...*yawn*

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Yours is an interesting point, and I think it has merit in this way: Every election we are ever more bombarded by media. "News" is extinct for the most part. We're bombarded by the extremes, the worst, the most conflicted, the most divisive the most dramatic. It is easy to get polarized if a person isn't careful.

I won't say I can't watch it, but that I mostly choose not to. Like you, I can't recall a time before when my friends appear unable to discuss their views without it often turning into a personal diatribe. I'm subject to the same crap.

Don't know what the answer is, but I'm unlikely to find it on CNN or Fox or whatever.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

But your overall premise was about hate towards Hillary. .

I cannot help but notice that the premise seems to have gone over your head.

but don't stick us all in the "hateful Orwellian brainwashed minions" camp

Not once did I say all.

Are you offended? If you do not fit in to the category of person I am referring to, why would you be offended?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
The same thing happens/does happen/would have happened if the name "Obama" would have been mentioned.

If the group of people you saw had been active Democrat party voters, the same thing would have happened if Trump was mentioned.

This isn't exclusive to Hillary...*yawn*

Excellent point.

I think the current hatred we see for people like Hillary, Obama and Trump is indicative of this 1984-type of mentality.

Sorry to bore you my friend. Was just pointing-out my observations.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Well propagating Hillary into a 1984 scenario might be correct.

She is an authoritarian kind of person !!

Did the 1984 story include armies of trolls?

Hillary is part of that scenario too !!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I didn't think we could find a presidential contender that was less qualified than Obama was seven years ago. I was wrong.

If that's hate then so be it.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

But your overall premise was about hate towards Hillary. .

I cannot help but notice that the premise seems to have gone over your head.

but don't stick us all in the "hateful Orwellian brainwashed minions" camp

Not once did I say all.

Are you offended? If you do not fit in to the category of person I am referring to, why would you be offended?

Not in plain words atleast... And what premise am I missing? You had an awful personal outing because a group of people talked crap about Hillary and it made you angry (or almost angry), so you came to ATS to vent and discuss possible Orwellian brainwashing?

And no, I'm personally not offended in the least. I do hate her and you can call me brainwashed all you want

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

And what premise am I missing?

How one can be triggered in to hateful speech and rhetoric because of the propaganda they may have been exposed to. I have also said that it would apply to the "other side" as well, after it was pointed-out by MM.

You had an awful personal outing because a group of people talked crap about Hillary and it made you angry (or almost angry), so you came to ATS to vent and discuss possible Orwellian brainwashing?

What did I say that would indicate I was angry? I was not and am not angry. I am simply sharing my observations.

link   

Well, I think you bring up a good point -- but you singled out Hillary, making appear as though you somehow support her or something.

If it wasn't election time it would be the usual "blame Obama for everything" game. Flat tire? Thanks Obama! McDonalds is out of apple pies? Thanks Obama!

The vitriol and hate has reached epic levels, and part of that is because people now congregate in little hug boxes and echo chambers where they bounce around and grow their hate to epic levels.

And then -- when they venture out into the world away from their sheltered little enclaves of like-minded people, they go violently insane when confronted with something that doesn't fit into their world view.

link   
a reply to: argentus

Well said.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

You make a good point again.

I do not support Hillary and I should have been wise enough to include a perspective that highlights the same "hate" from the other side of the political spectrum. As I said, I was only relaying this particular experience.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Hillary is the poster child about everything wrong with politicians.

She and her husband are proven liars even under oath.

She takes money from the lobbyiest and claims to take them on.yet every lobbyiest she has taken on is doing better than ever at the expense of the people.

A godzillion coincidence and scandals revolving around them.

I could go on but in reality clinton supporters are as brainwashed as most political cheerleaders. There is no way a logical person could consider her a trustworthy individual let alone a worthy politician.

Sad reality is there are no worthy politicians this cycle but she happens to be the worst. I don't like trump one bit but would take him over her. Atleast he doesn't already have a proven govt lobbyiest prostitute accreditation while in office.

We r screwed like previous elections this year, but to think she is a worthy candidate is just ludicrous.

edit on 10531America/ChicagoSun, 01 May 2016 22:10:46 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Here's the proof .....

It's all right in the video !!

The video !!

Hillary 1984 Live !!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join