It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TTip leak. Greenpeace releases documents on Monday.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImaFungi
a reply to: schuyler

I think the best way to go about the GMO business is to have anyone who has stake in the GMO business monitored for 5-10-15-20 years while assuring 50% of their meals are GMO.

Or, just label the product GMO and call it a day.

It's not like we have a shortage of food in the US, only a shortage of slim waists. The markets forget that they have to adapt to the people, not the other way around. This is more about profit than it is feeding people drought resistant rice or crops that produce their own plantibodies.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

It would make more sense to label non-GM products.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: onequestion
Down with international trade and the rules by which it is engaged in!

If the trade doesn't violate the laws of that nation then the government shouldn't get in the way.

The rules are we shouldnt be trading with countries who manipulate currency among other things that give their companies unfair advantage over us

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

The rules are we shouldnt be trading with countries who manipulate currency
Currency is not manipulated by the US?

among other things that give their companies unfair advantage over us
I agree. Only fair advantages should be allowed.

edit on 5/1/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Down with international trade and the rules by which it is engaged in!

If I were king of my own island I'd outlaw speedos, croc shoes, and frosty pink lipstick.

... and infect any bastage with the pox virus that tried to force those goods on my kingdom.

Three cheers for sovereign choice !

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

China has a centrally controlled bank and communist government our markets have no where near the level of control that they do and they are able to manipulate their currency to a level that we can't while setting rules that govern local transactions in ways that we don't

Don't play this game

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge
How do you feel about rock n' roll music?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Don't you mean Pharmacie?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

China has a centrally controlled bank and communist government our markets have no where near the level of control that they do and they are able to manipulate their currency to a level that we can't while setting rules that govern local transactions in ways that we don't
So, we should ignore a market of a billion people.

Don't play this game
You don't have the slightest notion of the "game."

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Kashmir would be my coronation song... followed by Comfortably Numb as an aperitif.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I know exactly what the game is and yes we should ignore a market of a billion people it's done nothing for us thus far except suck up our jobs.

I know your games very well.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I know exactly what the game is and yes we should ignore a market of a billion people it's done nothing for us thus far except suck up our jobs.

Nothing. Nothing at all.

In 2014, the U.S. investments made in China were valued at approximately 65.77 billion U.S. dollars.

www.statista.com...

In 2014, the foreign direct investments from China in the United States amounted to approximately 9.47 billion U.S. dollars.

www.statista.com...

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

The deficit with China increased $22.6 billion to $365.7 billion in 2015,” the BEA said in a press release. “Exports decreased $7.5 billion to $116.2 billion and imports increased $15.1 billion to $481.9 billion

source

Seems to me like we're building their infrastructure for them to sell us all of our stuff back to us.

What happens to our investments when they suddenly decide to print billions and billions of yuan?

Good try.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

It would make more sense to label non-GM products.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Understood. But with multiple ingredients, that may be a difficult label to trust. They'd have to be specific by using a (*) like organic ingredients currently do when mixed with non-organic ingredients.

Whether GMOs are safe or not, I don't believe they're being "designed" to deal with a shortage of food or overpopulation issues. Profits also drive innovation and as long as there is room in our bellies, there is enough reasoning behind corporations to fast track certain innovations without witnessing the results of long term usage.

Something just seems wrong about altering a plant's genetics so that one can continue to use the same chemical that it has become resistant to. Its almost like the plant is telling you "no," but who cares, it's just a plant. Resistance is futile, lol. Are you down with GM mosquitos?

Anyway, how about vertical farming or aquaponics?

Lets start there.

edit on 1-5-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

It's mind blowing to Me that your going to sit here and try to convince me that our relationship with China has been beneficial to the US.

GIVE ME A BREAK

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Understood. But with multiple ingredient, that may become difficult to trust. They would have to be specific by using a (*) like organic products currently do when mixed with non-organic ingredients.
Which is exactly my point. Unless a food manufacturer can be absolutely positive of no GM contamination, the only option is to have a label which says "May contain GM materials." Which tells the consumer nothing.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

It's mind blowing to Me that your going to sit here and try to convince me that our relationship with China has been beneficial to the US.

Yeah. Hard to convince someone who doesn't understand the basics of trade.

BTW, what trade agreements with China are you talking about. Specifically?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

What do you think Phage?

Are you really that clueless

No one with half a brain in their head thinks our relationship with China has done us any good.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Unless a food manufacturer can be absolutely positive of no GM contamination...

Which was the major counterpoint to your entire thread by multiple members.

I think they know more than you think, in my opinion. At the very least, they could fund the testing to ensure specific quality control measures are in place.

Plausible deniability creates an easy scapegoat for Big Agro when faced with pressure from the consumer and is what gives your thread merit. Looks like we need more consumer protection laws before any meaningless labels get slapped on our food products.

edit on 1-5-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

No one with half a brain in their head thinks our relationship with China has done us any good.
Your definition of "us" is somewhat limited. From what I've seen, it means "me." I know you think that a market of a billion people should be ignored. Who should we sell our stuff to?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join