It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Education System...It's SAD!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Short rant....Our education system (and I can only speak for the USA) does not teach people to "think" anymore. It does not give students the tools to form independent thoughts and ideas. It only gives them the ability to adapt to an environment they are "fed", and to integrate better into the same environment.

I have a degree in Engineering Physics; a while back I had a young high school student ask if I could help him with his Algebra homework. I was stunned by the questions!! They made no sense at all, and didn't even remotely teach a principle or foundation of math, but rather some inane, obtuse, concept.

I always thought "learning" was about expanding your mind and giving one the tools to apply to creativity. I was wrong. Now, "learning" is all about senseless concentralization...make everyone understand the lowest common denominator (and be "nice" in the process). Now, they're talking about eliminating Algebra all together in schools (much like cursive writing). Why? But HEY, everyone gets a trophy right...even if it's just for showing up, forget if they even understood or excelled; everyone gets a trophy, just to make them feel good. Hope everyone "feels good" when the end of humanity comes and there are no people around to solve the issues, or even care!!

Are we such sheep? Have we lost our way? What does the future hold for science if we continue to educate our youth in these ways.

Our Education system....It's SAD...VERY SAD!!!

edit on 5/1/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I'm looking at an ATS background of a NASA astronaut standing on the Moon, saluting Earth, as I post this, and I wonder...

Could we, as a people, ever accomplish such a gargantuan feat ever again??? Sadly, my answer is "no, I don't believe we could". Our society is too "self" focused, too needy, too narcissistic. The greater good no longer matters.

It's a SHAME!

In the background of the ATS pages we look at some of the greatest accomplishments of mankind, but our youth just see's these things as just another day.

Hmmm, what to do?

edit...back to FB I guess! (BTW....I don't do FB).

edit on 5/1/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

The sad part is.. The parents careless.. As long as they play the "cool" parent #

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

More and more parents are ashamed of the state of education and educrats and what is happening to their kids on both sides of the isle. There is an uptick in homeschooling and private schooling for this reason. A lot of people are well aware that the elites aren't saddled with the messes they are foisting off on our kids and how it creates even more separation and hopelessness.

Heck, you know homeschooling is trend when a large national chain caters to the homeschooling educators as much as the public ones.
edit on 1-5-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It truly is SAD, isn't it???

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The education system teaches what to think, not how to think. It started back when I was in school many years ago with the removal of civics classes. Now the kids aren't taught anything about their responsibility as a citizen. 1984 has come home to roost.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Could we, as a people, ever accomplish such a gargantuan feat ever again??? Sadly, my answer is "no, I don't believe we could". Our society is too "self" focused, too needy, too narcissistic. The greater good no longer matters.

Do not be fooled. Our children have brilliant minds, that is why the system is doing everything in their power to keep their precious minds engaged and controlled.

I don't think it is fair for the children to be blamed for the neglect of the parents. Way back in the ancient days when I was a child, many children had parents that had no formal education. This did not stop those parents from making sure their children went to school, did their homework, and got an education. They knew that was the only way to help their children towards a better future. Too many parent's today think it is the responsibility of others to teach and direct their children. This is not an accident.

I resigned from another job just today, because people are so brainwashed that they think they have to accept tyranny and disrespect in order to get a paycheck.

I see the younger people being conditioned to accept being videoed 24/7, being prepped to do what they are told, whenever they are told, without thought or question.

This too they are learning from their parents. Anything for a paycheck. Nothing else matters.

We are sliding head first into a world were we will be under total control by a system that we have paved the way for.

It was nauseating at work today to hear everyone, I mean everyone, including my boss, and her boss, tell me I was absolutely correct in my description of the disrespect, tyrannical, and hypocritical, trending of the corporation we all work for. Everyone, I mean everyone, had an excuse for why they didn't quit, yet understood why I was leaving, and wished they could do the same.

I told them that nothing is going to change as long as they continue to eat the bull-crap. I would rather starve to death than eat the crap they are dishing out. Our children don't stand a chance because this is the future we are delivering them on a platter.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

People have been conditioned to become what I call 'idea consumers'. They hear an idea and decide if they should adopt that as their position instead of creating their own position.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I painfully hear what you are saying.

My kids go to school in the Philippines, private school but not one of the very expensive top schools.

My youngest is in the 6th grade, speaks reads and writes grammatically correct Visian, Tagalog, and English. He can also speak Bahasa and some Japanese. He got an "A" in math this year, geometry, percentages, fractions, and multiply and divide up to 99,999. History, civics, and geography Philippine, Asian, and US. Earth sciences. A's and B's. After school and weekends, he takes Aikido and Sayaw ng Kamatayan. He was making noise about playing soccer next year. And prefers reading to TV, Harry Potter right now..

The oldest is in the 10th grade and speaks reads and writes grammatically correct Visian, and English. His Tagalog not so good. He also speaks Latin American Spanish (learned from me), German, Japanese. And Castilian Spanish. He was working on calculus and advanced algebra. History and civics Philippine, Asian, and US, with their political systems.His comment for the US and PI elections is "scary clown convention". Chemistry and physics this year. A's with a one B. After school and weekends, he takes Aikido and Kung Fu, and Escrima. He's thinking about basketball, but I doubt it. And he's a reader Lord of the Rings series and Foundation series this school break.

When they were describing their school to their cousin who lives in Texas she's 10th grade she said that schools didn't offer "that stuff". Her dad was stunned to realize how little she was getting in comparison to the boys.

The boys were both evaluated when the school year ended to see what they need to get into a top university in Asia. They are both on track for University of the Philippines, Silliman U (SMU level) in the PI and Singapore Tech (Cal Tech level) in Singapore. Oldest is leaning to engineering or science so it's probably Singapore, guess I keep working.

Nope US education ain't what it used to be.
edit on 1/5/2016 by LamontCranston because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

In my college part of our requirements is taking 'Diversity Courses' like Latin American Studies and Pan African Studies classes and these class are filled with left wing bias mixed with some element of real history.

Plus you have left wing Black Lives Matter disturbing the peace.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Well certainly we have those who are destined to become the leisure class in society what use do they have for such concepts?

Then there are those who are willfully ignorant or those who are by no fault of their own physically or circumstantially unable to learn the current math/common core style subjects in time to master them for college and careers.

With automation on the horizon and fairly sophisticated attempts at AI systems we might just see far less need for mediocre mathematical and other once human dominated fields of processing prowess.

If war, disease, and or some other sort of disaster does not take those concerns over the state of education off your hands then the slow creep of resource scarcity and pollution will.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: stabstab

This explains it all.

It is nearly impossible to break free. We are mice locked in a labyrinth.

new topics

top topics

join