It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Proposed Bill Could Sentence Some Child Abusers to Death

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
In a bill introduced on Wednesday, the state of Georgia is considering the introduction of the death penalty as punishment for child sodomy. Newly elected Republican Representative Timothy Bearden introduced the bill to make child sodomy a capital crime; it also seeks to increase the age of the victim from 10 to 12 when considering sentencing an offender to death. Currently, the only crimes punishable by death in Georgia are "murder, kidnapping with bodily injury or ransom where the victim dies, aircraft hijacking and treason."

www.macon.com
A Georgia law banning sodomy among consenting adults was overturned by the state Supreme Court in 1998. It is still a crime to commit sodomy with a child under age 10; Bearden's bill would raise that to age 12.

The lawmaker said he was inspired to write the bill because he once worked in law enforcement and wanted to increase penalties for crimes against children.

"Seeing the victims and seeing the predators that commit this crime, that's what I was thinking about on this," he said.

Current law calls for people convicted of aggravated sodomy - forcible sodomy - to serve 10 years to 30 years in prison. Bearden's bill would add a caveat to that sentence, calling for sodomizers to receive life in prison or the death penalty if the victim is less than 12 years old.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Louisiana is the only other state which has the death penalty for certain cases of child sexual abuse; currently offenders who rape a child under the age of 12 can face lethal injection. Despite the law being enacted in 1995, the state has never put an offender to death for this crime.

Opposition to the proposed law say by introducing the death penalty, offenders will be more likely to kill their victims in hopes of eliminating any witnesses. As murder is punishable by death in Georgia, however, such an offender could face the electric chair in either case.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Its about damn time.

They need to put those rabid baby-rapers down. It should be MANDATORY for second offense.

I hate child molesters

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Off with their heads. I agree, the scum of the earth should not live.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I think the death penalty for the crime of sodomy on a minor is extreme. I really don't object to castration, but death?

Do people picture themselves in the place of the victim? This sounds barbaric.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
This sounds barbaric.

So does raping 5 year olds.

I wouldnt shed a tear if the killed them all

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I really don't object to castration, but death?

Seriously, death is probably the least cruel of the two.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Interesting

The knee jerk reaction is to break out into applause
but on further reflection I have to believe this is a bad thing
I'm afraid I have to concur with the opposition in the belief that the children are more likely to be killed if the death penalty is an option.

I think castration is a more viable and humane option .

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Penectomie, emasculation, then death!

First offence- no second chance.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman
I think castration is a more viable and humane option .

Problem is they STILL re-offend usually raping them with an object or sexually stimulating THEM

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Do people picture themselves in the place of the victim? This sounds barbaric.

Punishment really fits the crime in this case. I for one am fully behind it esp for the high risk offenders.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Unfortunately you are correct but I still the think the child will be at greater risk with the death penalty being an option.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I couldn't agree with this more. Anyone who abuses a child is the lowest form of scum.
I've gone on record here quite often that I believe that the death penalty is not used enough, and that child molesters, and child killers should be executed immediately after convicted.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I tell you what death is to good for these type of predators, they should be castrated and let them live with out their Winny for the rest of their lives having to sit to take a leak.

That is the best punishment for them, death is to easy way out with not suffering.

But I guess I also believe in one eye for and eye.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
What about planned parenthood and all abortion doctors? They are scum too. Can we kill them?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I tell you what death is to good for these type of predators, they should be castrated and let them live with out their Winny for the rest of their lives having to sit to take a leak.

I knew I liked you! Just kill them, and save our tax dollars for more important things.

What about planned parenthood and all abortion doctors? They are scum too. Can we kill them?

Wow, very touchy subject. First let me go on record to say that I am not in favor of abortion, however it's not my decision what a woman should/shouldn't do.
That being said - If you kill all of the abortion doctors, then you'll have scared young ladies dying on a kitchen table with a bloody coat hanger present. Abortion doctors serve a purpose as a necessary evil IMHO.
Planned Parenthood - what's the beef with them?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
IMHO, capita punishment doesn't appear to be a deterrent to murder in the U.S., so why would it be a deterrent to child abuse???

The smartest thing that could be done is to throw the creeps into the genera prison population where their little red wagons woud be fixed right quick. At no extra cost to the state (taxpayers)!

Remember Jeffrey Dahmer...he got his...yeah!

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   

The smartest thing that could be done is to throw the creeps into the genera prison population where their little red wagons woud be fixed right quick. At no extra cost to the state (taxpayers)!

Hmmmmm, not a bad idea.

Yeah that could work for sure. Not only does it fix the problem, but it makes the end for them much more scary.
I like it!

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning
IMHO, capita punishment doesn't appear to be a deterrent to murder in the U.S., so why would it be a deterrent to child abuse???

Can you name one executed criminal the has re-offended?

The smartest thing that could be done is to throw the creeps into the genera prison population where their little red wagons would be fixed right quick. At no extra cost to the state (taxpayers)!

Normally I would agree, but in most prisons they are placed in PC (Protective Custody) where they are even MORE of an expense since you are also paying for there protection from their fellow inmates

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

:puz

We have debated that one back and forth in several threads. I submit it is a deterent to a rational person. However, i also have to agree with Amuk, the recidivism rate for executed criminals is zero, zip nada etc

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Talk about internal conflict. My brain and my gut pulled out the nukes on this one. Ouch.

...There are several related threads running here right now - one about Andrea Yates who murdered her 5 babies:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and another on brutal wife killer Jimmy Dean Watkins:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

...I can't plumb the depths of my psyche again this morning - so I'm just going to paraphrase what I wrote earlier on one of these threads...

Child abuse is horrific. No doubt about it. Any kind, but especially sexual abuse. Even six months ago I would have been just as passionate about it as every other decent person here, and maybe, screaming for blood.

But now, I'm asking you all to step back and look it in a larger context. Child abuse is not the only way Americans go postal - similar crimes are becoming increasingly common and now are practically epidemic. From road rage to domestic abuse and spousal murders - we're seeing more of the same every day, more often, and the crimes are getting worse.

I am saying that it's not a moral problem or a social one. I'm saying that it results from an epidemic physical disease that affects certain peoples' brains in particular ways.

I'm saying it's preventable - and if the problem is not acknowledged, and dealt with, it's going to rip our country apart, one person, one trauma, one death at a time. ...

I have this disease and I've researched it thoroughly. And I know - there, but for the grace of God, go I.

I also know that nearly 100% of the US population is infected by this disease, called fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD). It usually takes decades to create symptoms, but some people are not so lucky. It doesn't make everyone nuts, but again, some people are not so lucky. ...Should we really punish these sick people even more for their misfortune?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join