It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we "fix" Transgender people??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

So anyone who doesn't think like you should be "fixed"?

Science and medicine hasn't called it a disorder. The ignorant and religious have called it that though.

This just reeks of 21st century eugenics. "Let's make everyone the same." That sounds awfully familiar.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Seriously, who is this 'we' and what makes them qualified to decide what's wrong with other people?

You seem to include yourself amongst 'we' but suppose it's a 'they' and 'they' decide there's something wrong with you?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

A child born with mental retardation is no different than one born with gender issues.

False. Gender "issues" are not disabilities.

edit on 5/1/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
Assuming being gay/transgendered is a genetic and/or nuerological disorder.

Transgender and homosexuality are different things and not a disorder per se. They are just a difference. We should celebrate our difference and live and let live.

I think everyone with brown eyes should submit to a procedure. It sounds very unhealthy when people are singled out for what and how they are, as in the OP.
edit on 1/5/2016 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
And then what else should we assume is someone broken (in need of fixing)?

And why are we assuming that gay people are broken?

Because that and transgendered( where the topic originated) are considered disorders.

Why are they considered disorders? Maybe the people considering certain people of having disorders, are really the people that have a disorder.
edit on 1-5-2016 by snowspirit because: The disorder to "a disorder" clarification

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

A child born with mental retardation is no different than one born with gender issues.

False. Gender "issues" are not disabilities.

Yes they are. They are born defects.
Unless you are referring to those that choose to have gender issues after birth, those are mental disorders that are learned behavior that would need counseling intervention or just leave them to their own fantasies and have society pick up the tab.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982

I mean should we begin "fixing" all the kids diagnosed with these disorders after the process is confirmed to work and be safe?

It will be one step away from "fixing" people to conform, talk about total control and I find the notion that people can fixed as totally absurd. The reason many kids have issues is because the system is XXXXXX not them.

As for the Gay/Trans portion of the post, at what point does a person become Gay?. Most people will have a totally different gauge to what Gay is!!!.. For some two guys hugging each other makes them Gay for others its full blown sames sex relationships with all the trimmings and you would be well placed to see that most people regardless of what they may admit will fall somewhere in a very big spectrum..

RA

This hypothetical is assuming we have discovered homosexuality and transgendered ARE neurological and not Psychological. Meaning it is a genetic and they are born with it. That there is some understood brain scan where the diagnosis is confirmed.

Meaning we were not guessing. We know they are wired as the opposite sex.

It's pretty common that gay/transgendered state they did not choose it, and if they could make themselves feel differently they would. Especially when recounting their childhood, ALOT turning backflips in an attempt to make themselves conform, but just can't." They were born that way."

I might not should have mixed homosexuality in this...definatly a spectrum there that doesn't really fit the "one way or the other" that you have with gender, making a test far less realistic...

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Like fixing a cat or dog? I don't think you have to spay or neuter them, the males won't be spraying

link   

No. Neither transgenderism or homosexuality are disabilities. Neither has any effect on a person's ability to function on their own.

edit on 5/1/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

link   

No ! My mother doesn't have a disorder. She is attracted to women. It doesn't hurt anyone else and is not a problem that needs to be fixed.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

No. Mandating a genetic modification procedure on the children of others is not a good step to take. It reeks of eugenics.

this!
couldn't stated it better myself!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Especially when recounting their childhood, ALOT turning backflips in an attempt to make themselves conform, but just can't." They were born that way."

Tell me, why do you think they might feel that way? Is it because being transgendered disables them somehow, or is it because they are ostracized for it? I'm not one for harping on "slippery slopes", but you've got a good candidate for one right there.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

No. Neither transgenderism or homosexuality are disabilities. Neither has any effect on a person's ability to function on their own.

We were talking transgenderism, don't muddy the waters with homosexuals. A transgender that gets fixed at birth can still be homosexual after the fix.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Assuming being gay/transgendered is a genetic and/or nuerological disorder

assuming! You haven't even done any sort of basic research before posting. have you?

You ASS UME too much.

this should be in the rant forum

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The same guy who claimed to have identified a DNA sequence linked to male homosexuality, said the existence of the “God gene” explained why some people had more aptitude for spirituality than others.

Take some time to think about that.

link   

We were talking transgenderism, don't muddy the waters with homosexuals.
Did you read the OP?

Again, neither is a disability.

link   

why waste any more money and energy on transexual and homosexual, there are plenty of living starving and missing children that our money and energy can go towards. I say let the individual choose whatever they want to do when they are adults on their own dime, and put the money and energy towards something that actually needs to be fixed.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

If we had the technology to "fix" them at birth (or later really) should we?

I won't address the idea of "fixing" someone when there's nothing wrong or abnormal about them at all. But, if we had the technology, I think it should be entirely up to the person to undergo any "changes" to be made regarding how they were born. The individual should ALWAYS be the one to initiate any changes to their person. So, we (as a society, government or species) shouldn't be "fixing" them at all, but if they would chose to undergo such a change, I would support them.

I mean should we begin "fixing" all the kids diagnosed with these disorders after the process is confirmed to work and be safe?

No. I feel the same way about a child born with both sex organs. THEY should decide whether they want to have male, female or both organs, as they were born. Other people, even the parents, have no right to make these personal decisions.

I'm really not totally disagreeing with you here, but when using the child opinion as a measuring stick, it's a child with no real concept of consequences.

The "normal" timeline proposed by the trans community, is diagnosing the kid at 4ish, and swapping identity, then chemically blocking puberty as young as 9.

Exactly how old is a child before they can be expected to comprehend that type of decision?

Wouldn't they be making that decision with a brain with flawed wiring?? Not saying it would effect cognitive ability, but if they were miswired to feel like the opposite, then wouldn't they be making the opposite decision, if there brain were wired to match their physical body?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Regarding transgender people, it should be just as it is now. The individual who is affected makes the decision, along with a team of medical healthcare professionals. I could be wrong, but I would imagine the core identity (brain) would win out, in other words, most would still rather change their body than change their awareness of themselves.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

why waste any more money and energy on transexual and homosexual, there are plenty of living starving and missing children that our money and energy can go towards. I say let the individual choose whatever they want to do when they are adults on their own dime, and put the money and energy towards something that actually needs to be fixed.

Why fix any birth defect?

If they had a cleft lip, why waste the money to fix it? who knows they might rather keep it..

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join