It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we "fix" Transgender people??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Assuming being transgendered is a genetic and/or nuerological disorder. Where the brain is wired different then your physical body appears...

If we had the technology to "fix" them at birth (or later really) should we?

If we had a definitive test, like say a brain scan, and we could pop them in a machine that would rewire them to be straight or identify as their birth sex, should we?

Now I don't mean , "should we force everyone one already born trans to submit to the procedure.."

I mean should we begin "fixing" all the kids diagnosed with these disorders after the process is confirmed to work and be safe?
edit on 1-5-2016 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

Added in edit:

I guess a better way to put it would be.

Say your child has been depressed and such, leading to a confirmed test (pretending there is one) and diagnosis, by professionals.

At that point you have 3 options, and assume all are completely physically safe, just so that's not an issue.

1) do nothing obviously, neither swapping/and hormones nor the brain change.

2) swap name/dress and continue on the process we use today.

3) have their brains required to be that of their birth sex.

What do you choose?

Edited out the homosexual part..upon thinking about it, it really didn't fit the topic.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Assuming being gay/transgendered is a genetic and/or nuerological disorder. Where the brain is wired different then your physical body appears...

If we had a definitive test, like say a brain scan, and we could pop them in a machine that would rewire them to be straight or identify as their birth sex, should we?

Now I don't mean , "should we force everyone one already born gay/trans to submit to the procedure.."

I mean should we begin "fixing" all the kids diagnosed with these disorders after the process is confirmed to work and be safe?

Seriously? *facepalm*

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

No. Mandating a genetic modification procedure on the children of others is not a good step to take. It reeks of eugenics.

edit on 5/1/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

You're saying 'we' and 'they' like they don't have a voice in the conversation.

Millions of gay people are happy as they are and there's nothing to 'fix.'

Assuming being gay/transgendered is a genetic and/or nuerological disorder.

Let's assume nothing and say no to your premise

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I say live and let live..If a person is "trans"Leave them alone..

edit on 1-5-2016 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

No. There's actual broken things in the world.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
And then what else should we assume is someone broken (in need of fixing)?

And why are we assuming that gay people are broken?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

It will be one step away from "fixing" people to conform, talk about total control and I find the notion that people can fixed as totally absurd. The reason many kids have issues is because the system is XXXXXX not them.

As for the Gay/Trans portion of the post, at what point does a person become Gay?. Most people will have a totally different gauge to what Gay is!!!.. For some two guys hugging each other makes them Gay for others its full blown sames sex relationships with all the trimmings and you would be well placed to see that most people regardless of what they may admit will fall somewhere in a very big spectrum..

RA

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

No wonder they keep it secret.

link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

You're saying 'we' and 'they' like they don't have a voice in the conversation.

Millions of gay people are happy as they are and there's nothing to 'fix.'

Assuming being gay/transgendered is a genetic and/or nuerological disorder.

Let's assume nothing and say no to your premise

Considering that's how medical science classifies it, and the only real alternative is the "it's their choice to be gay" put forth by the religious community.

The reality is, if it is genetic (and I believe it is) then it is a disorder. A disorder we can't even diagnose properly yet, let alone rewire someone's brain to fix it... So we should just be leaving everyone alone...

But assume we could diagnose it...assume we can readily do a brain scan and see exactly where the wires get crossed, and fix it.

Then shouldn't we?

link   

I won't address the idea of "fixing" someone when there's nothing wrong or abnormal about them at all. But, if we had the technology, I think it should be entirely up to the person to undergo any "changes" to be made regarding how they were born. The individual should ALWAYS be the one to initiate any changes to their person. So, we (as a society, government or species) shouldn't be "fixing" them at all, but if they would chose to undergo such a change, I would support them.

No. I feel the same way about a child born with both sex organs. THEY should decide whether they want to have male, female or both organs, as they were born. Other people, even the parents, have no right to make these personal decisions.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

The reality is, if it is genetic (and I believe it is) then it is a disorder.

You've added an *if* a *believe* and arrived at *disorder.*

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

No. Mandating a genetic modification procedure on the children of others is not a good step to take. It reeks of eugenics.

If a kid is born with a cleft lip or (Enter whatever other genetic defect you want), we fix it. We don't wonder if the kid might want the cleft lip later....

Hospitals fix genetic defects are birth daily.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
And then what else should we assume is someone broken (in need of fixing)?

And why are we assuming that gay people are broken?

Because that and transgendered( where the topic originated) are considered disorders.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I don't think "we" (I'm assuming you mean straight cisgender people) should unless the person in question wants the change. I would think some transgender and gay people would welcome something like that, but it should never be forced.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

If a kid is born with a cleft lip or (Enter whatever other genetic defect you want), we fix it.
With surgery, yes. Because a cleft palate (the lip is only part of the problem) is a severely debilitating deformity.

Under whose orders?

edit on 5/1/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

If a kid is born with a cleft lip or (Enter whatever other genetic defect you want), we fix it. We don't wonder if the kid might want the cleft lip later....

Why clasify it as defect? Is hair colour a defect? Height? Just because something may be genetically determined doesn't make it a defect.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Fix all birth defects that are possible.
A child born with mental retardation is no different than one born with gender issues. People would not expect to leave children retarded if there was a cure at birth, it would be considered cruel.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Because that and transgendered( where the topic originated) are considered disorders.

Homosexuality is not considered a disorder.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join