It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metal storm: 1,000,000+ rounds per minute

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Saw it on the history channel and that thing blew my mind as far as its ability. Sounded like a warning buzzer when it was fired
www.metalstorm.com...

Sounds like a great system for point defense

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Wow, just imagine how many people you could kill with that. cool!.......NOT!

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Strange thing is, the we ( Australians ) are developing it.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Yes another great aussie invention, though of course it will be used for killing people so that isn't cool

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I beleive their is one major flaw left in his design concept from what I've read.

Although its firing rate is astounding to reach that rate it uses multiple barrels with a low number of direct reloads. Meaning one cartridge that is small enough for one person to handle can't hold more then a few hundred rounds.

Once he has the ammo / reload problem worked out I would bet you'll see it deployed quickly. Isreal would most likely love to get their hands on something like that.

Beyond that problem though he can already sell the electronic firing and any software that triggers it. That could be very very handy for lowering jam/dud rates on a large score of existing weapons.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Just give me a simple, plain, old-fashioned gun. All I need is an M60. When it is set for burst, it fires 700 rounds a minute. Who needs more than that? I mean really. Sometimes the old automatic weapons are the best ones. Good old reliable M60 is good enough for this guy. Oh, and by the way 50 000 children died today, too poor to live. Bet they dont have an M60.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Well I believe one of the advanctages of a gun based on this technology will have little to no recoil. Imagine how high your accuracy will shoot up with somthing like that.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   
As ex-military myself, I LOVE this thing!
I do love my hand guns, but the Metal Storm technology is great because it nullifies weapon jamming. That is a scary thing to happen to you in combat. It has never happened to me in combat, luckily, but I know some of my combat buddies it did happen to.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Someone i know, knows the son of the guy who created it. apparently hes always just tinkered away at various inventions over the years, then JACKPOT! lol!

I know it will probably end up used for no good, but i saw footage of it cut through a vehicle (cant remember what type) like nothing else!

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   
It's quite flexible this could replace MLRS or at least be added to it. Not to mention this would make one enasty area denail system. Not to mention its quite flexible I hear of this being added to UCAV's

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Airborne
As ex-military myself, I LOVE this thing!
I do love my hand guns, but the Metal Storm technology is great because it nullifies weapon jamming. That is a scary thing to happen to you in combat. It has never happened to me in combat, luckily, but I know some of my combat buddies it did happen to.

I'm not an ex-military or anything, but I did have some training. Now, the idea that this system won't jam is wrong in a peculiar way. As far as I could figure it out, the firing system is 100% electronic (of course -- timing is crucial). It works fine in field tests, but in real life it can be different. If the enemy applies an EMP (electromagentic pulse weapon), a microwave beam, or, pardon the pun, a jamming device, the Metal Storm may well just malfunction.

I also don't believe it's recoil free. Conservation of momentum tells me otherwise. Since the projectiles aren't rockets, the momentum is imparted on the firing frame.

Conceptually it's not more advanced than firing a huge shotgun. An equivalent of it existed a few hundred years ago, when huge cannons were loaded with gravel (using shovels) and fired at an approaching enemy, sometimes with devastating results.

IMHO, the Metal Storm is a clever gimmick intended to extract venture capital from gullible investors. Every application of this system is pretty much covered with alternative, and tested, means. For coverage of large areas, a battery of small mortars will probably be just as affective and cost much less. Then again, I'm not an expert.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
Conceptually it's not more advanced than firing a huge shotgun. An equivalent of it existed a few hundred years ago, when huge cannons were loaded with gravel (using shovels) and fired at an approaching enemy, sometimes with devastating results.

Im curious, how is it like a shotgun ? The rounds are stacked behind one another, there aren't multiple projectiles in one round.

IMHO, the Metal Storm is a clever gimmick intended to extract venture capital from gullible investors. Every application of this system is pretty much covered with alternative, and tested, means. For coverage of large areas, a battery of small mortars will probably be just as affective and cost much less. Then again, I'm not an expert.

Far from actually, the beauty of the metal storm is that it doesn't have to rely on redundant feed machanisms to fire multiple shots, making it not just far more reliable but far smaller and lighter.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
they need to stop tinkering round with thier little gimmiky remote vehicles and stuff.......even i can see this thing would own it if they developed versions to replce things like the phalanx.......imagine a few banks of them puppies on a ship? nothing will get past it, end of the sea skimming missle threat

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
nubby, Have you ever tried hitting a missile with a bullet?

It's one of the hardest things you can ever do.

Now used multiple stacks of rounds firing all at once would not be a very effective tool at shooting down the missiles, now, is there a chance the missile is going down? Yeah, but at what cost? That's alot of ammo and electricity wasted on one target.

Keep in mind MetalStorm is not a precision firing picket system, it is, in concept an accurate field suppression system.

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
nubby, Have you ever tried hitting a missile with a bullet?

It's one of the hardest things you can ever do.

Now used multiple stacks of rounds firing all at once would not be a very effective tool at shooting down the missiles, now, is there a chance the missile is going down? Yeah, but at what cost? That's alot of ammo and electricity wasted on one target.

Keep in mind MetalStorm is not a precision firing picket system, it is, in concept an accurate field suppression system.

Shattered OUT...
Well of course you wouldn't want them all firing perfectly straight. Give it some inaccuracy so it has a firing cone.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This technology has been around for years. I first saw it on BBCs Tomorrows World program, probably 15 years ago. The unit was a small black box full of tubes loaded with a lot of ball bearings. Using a series of electromagnets, the ballbearings were accelerated in turn to do devestating damage.

The tech behind this is cheap to produce so replacing components after an EMP strike simple to do. Of couse if the system is effectively switched on at the time of firing, doesnt this reduce EMP susceptibility ?

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
They should work on a metal storm 155mm howitzer

I understand that bullets are loaded into the barrel one in front of another, and can be simultanously fired giving its insane cyclic rate, but how are the bullets loaded in?

They can shoot a million rounds per minute, but can they load more than a few hundred at a time???

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Im curious, how is it like a shotgun ? The rounds are stacked behind one another, there aren't multiple projectiles in one round.

As others have commented, the MS creates a cloud of projectiles, and moreso when a few launchpads are used simultaneously.

Far from actually, the beauty of the metal storm is that it doesn't have to rely on redundant feed machanisms to fire multiple shots, making it not just far more reliable but far smaller and lighter.

I still believe there is danger in having your electronic "ignition" system jammed by the enemy, or having one round detonate in the launch tube. In addition, the loading cycle can be quite lengthy (you still have to reload... Right? and as you said there are no feeding mechanisms... so you do it by hand

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I still believe there is danger in having your electronic "ignition" system jammed by the enemy

I wonder how the electronic ignition would fare against an EMP weapon?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join