It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11-year old Alabama boy shoots home intruder: "He started crying like a little baby"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

He entered a residence that did not belong to him.
He threatened to kill the child who resides at the residence.

In addition to being a stand your ground state Alabama also has the castle doctrine, which states essentially the moment a person enters a residence unlawfully they meet the criteria for use of force (including deadly). The act of being present illegally in the residence is the minimum needed for a use of deadly force. Thats before he threatened to kill the kid.

Texas law does NOT apply to Alabama any more that Ontario provincial law does.
edit on 1-5-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I highlighted that comment about Texas to show how certain laws can be misunderstood.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
These are the discussions we need to have because many, including 2nd amendment supporters, do not actually understand their rights and limitations on when they can or cannot use their firearm.

If you want to know more, the best advice I could lay down for you is to take a concealed carry class in your state (and any states you regularly travel to). There, you will be taught the most pertinent laws specific to gun acquisition/ownership and the justifiable use of force. You may also be taught some of the principles of safety, maintenance and basic marksmanship.

It would be really cool to discuss the limitations criminals are confined to in their use of firearms. On the other side of the argument, I'd just like to know ... Nope. That'd be off-topic.

-Cheers

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I don't mind shooting an intruder.

I do mind a nine year old having access to a handgun and ammunition. This kid appears to have his head on straight but that's a bad situation waiting to happen.

And I say that someone who's been shooting since I was about five, guns regularly in my household growing up. But my father always locked the guns away in safes and kept the ammo hidden in a separate place.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

If you want to know more, the best advice I could lay down for you is to take a concealed carry class in your state (and any states you regularly travel to). There, you will be taught the most pertinent laws specific to gun acquisition/ownership and the justifiable use of force. You may also be taught some of the principles of safety, maintenance and basic marksmanship.

Thanks, but I've been carrying legally for many years and am licensed to carry in 32 states. I'm up-to-date on the laws in my state, but I like to highlight there can be subtle differences in laws from state to state. That is why I wanted to spark this conversation.

And I don't need help on safety, maintenance and marksmanship. But I appreciate your sentiment.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
I don't mind shooting an intruder.

I do mind a nine year old having access to a handgun and ammunition. This kid appears to have his head on straight but that's a bad situation waiting to happen.

And I say that someone who's been shooting since I was about five, guns regularly in my household growing up. But my father always locked the guns away in safes and kept the ammo hidden in a separate place.

Excellent point. Regardless of how this particular event went-down, the 11 year old kid should not have had access to those firearms without supervision.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

a reply to: Xcathdra

I highlighted that comment about Texas to show how certain laws can be misunderstood.

Fair enough however we need to be careful so we dont confuse people about how the law works. I had a debate in another thread on a similar topic and the person kept citing laws from other states and tried to argue they applied to other states.

As snarl pointed out its not relevant if the suspect was stealing personal property. By entering the residence he violated the castle doctrine and stand your ground laws for Alabama. A person does not have to flee a residence with property to commit a burglary. Committing a burglary while a person is in the residence usually places that crime at the top of the offense chart. In my state its a class B felony unless someone is home, in which case its a class A felony. Thats before we know if weapons are involved and if an assault took place (my states classifies an assault at the lowest level as no physical contact verbal).

We just need to be careful so we all can debate using the same and correct information. These are learning moments for everyone and I love it when people take an interest in public law / government / criminal justice.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I do appreciate what you were doing in highlighting the laws that govern discharge of firearms and their use in self defense, it is never a bad thing to explore this path.

But in any case, based on the volume of kids defending their homes now being reported every year, I think it may be time to stop generalizing all children should not have access to the firearms in the home though. It is clear that on an annual basis, there seems to be a pattern of more kids successfully using firearms to defend themselves, family, and home . It may be significantly more than the cases of children who accidentally harm themselves from them, most with zero training in use or safety other than "don't touch, run, and find an adult" . My nine year old can now break down most semi-auto pistols and the AK. He still practicing on the AR.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The parents should be arrested for leaving an 11 year old at home alone.

They would've been charged with child endangerment here in MS.

edit on 1-5-2016 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

my bad i thought he was shot in the home, i would not shoot a man in the back while he is running away, unless i was certain of retaliation or return or there were multiple invaders

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

I agree with that, I guess the boy could argue he feared the guy would return but it's sketchy. I think the kid is lucky and a valuble lesson learned by the loser who got shot..he is lucky too.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

agreed, i hope he does not get some type of complex from being the kid that shot a criminal, that mixed with other factors can breed a special kind of sociopath.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Yeah, they should have been locked up so the kid couldn't get to them and then the poor intruder could have just done whatever he wanted. Gotta keep those hearts bleeding for the criminals, ya know.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Thanks. It would appear that the kid was justified in his use of the firearm.

These are the discussions we need to have because many, including 2nd amendment supporters, do not actually understand their rights and limitations on when they can or cannot use their firearm.

...and do those laws apply to a minor? He's ok to shoot to kill, but Mom and Dad would get popped for handing him a beer in celebration?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
...and do those laws apply to a minor? He's ok to shoot to kill, but Mom and Dad would get popped for handing him a beer in celebration?

Actually they wouldn't.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: AmericanRealist

If Odin is real, surely these kids are worthy to be in Valhalla.

You get to Valhalla by being DEAD.

and by willing and courageous in battle

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

every parent in my town should be arrested then, when i was i kid. There used to be a time in which kids be left to take care of themselves im glad some parents still believe in this ideal. It breeds self reliance, and responsibility.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

agreed, i hope he does not get some type of complex from being the kid that shot a criminal, that mixed with other factors can breed a special kind of sociopath.

That's a very fair concern. Him mocking the dude he shot for "crying like a little baby" had a special kind'a ring to it, didn't it?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
It is time that our children are given the training they deserve in our public schools.

In my high school (yes, it's been a few years) we had a class called outdoor education. It included archery and rifle training and trips to the range. Taxpayer funded, no less. Lol.

Of course most of the pickups in student parking had gun racks in the rear window with rifles and shotguns in them. Hell, we could even have sheath knives on our belts.

Can't imagine how we all survived...

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Thanks. It would appear that the kid was justified in his use of the firearm.

There is no discussion with you guys, just excuse making for criminals and demonetization of lawful gun owners. Your intent was to blame the kid somehow for this and you just weren't able to, so now you pretend to be all diplomatic.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join