It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
a reply to: schuyler
So... Keep all the current people in power, for as long as possible.
Then hypercharge NSA power.
Focus even more on military.
Strengthen the drug war, militarize the police even further...
I suppose it's our difference of perspective that makes these things that seem so stupendously obvious to me awful ideas to you, but surely you wouldn't want to keep the same lobotomized goldfish in charge, would you?
- Repeal trade deals, they're stupid.
- Overturn Citizens United, it's stupid.
- Purge Government of the vast majority of "elected" officials. Might keep a few like Sanders, but not Clintons, Cruz's or Kasichs. Definitely no DWS's.
First testing intelligence/competence (don't want any drooling imbeciles) and morals (don't want more corrupt people to replace the jackasses I just fired,) replace with random-sampled set of Civilian advisors (offer job but don't force them to take it.)
- Shift half the military budget into scientific advancement of things like food production and cleaner energy. Shut down a lot overseas military bases that have no real reason to exist, preferably selling the infrastructure to the country they reside in if possible. (The United States is not an empire.) Probably leave bases in allied countries. (Such as Australia.)
- Call in ten or so of the best economists I can get my hand on who I know aren't in the pocket of corporations or special interests, ask them for the best tax plan for citizens and country. After doing so, send out plan to a further 500 or so economists to get a broader sweep of opinions and minor adjustments.
- End pointless war on drugs. Legalize Marijuana at federal level.
- Demilitarize police force, make cameras mandatory.
- Downsize or shut down NSA. It's useless.
- Revise tax code so it's no longer 100 pages of code and 73,900 pages of loopholes. Make it comprehensible by normal humans if possible.
- Fix retarded election system (no longer all-or-nothing, people vote for preferences.) Destroy two-party ideology. Delete electoral college.
- Remove/Morph Obamacare and use Single-Payer, since it's better. Offer to do so in first term, but leave it until second if the people don't want it.
- Improve public education since it's awful. Instate tuition-free college. Same as above.
Try George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, possibly Obama, Clinton, so on and so forth, for War Crimes, Crimes Against Humanity, Fraud, so on and so forth. (Depends on what information I uncover within the system about their actions.)
- Try to convince a decent portion of the country (almost certainly unsuccessfully, but worth the attempt) to become Vegetarian. Meat
production damages land and is highly inefficient in terms of resources.
- Change guns laws. Mostly leave as-is. Anyone who commits a crime with a gun, or has a gun stolen which is then used in a crime, is permanently barred from ownership. (Appeals possible for latter.) Immediate family of person who commits gun-crime restricted to non-concealable weapons.
- Huge national elections to choose my successor, and other such things. I'll be telling the citizens often throughout the process that "It's important to pick someone whose ideology and ideas you agree with, but it's also very important to pick someone with decent morals who won't screw over the country and all of you for their own personal gain. Pay attention. Don't let them off the hook for flip-flopping repeatedly. If their reason for running is "I want to be in government" or "I want to be powerful", they aren't the right choice for your future."
- And finally, at end of final term, execute self on live national television with final words akin to "I fixed everything for you. Don't f**k it up again. Pay attention this time."
- Overturn Citizens United, it's stupid.
The principles articulated by the Supreme Court in the case have also been extended to for-profit corporations, labor unions and other associations. By allowing unlimited election spending by individuals and corporations, the decision has "re-shaped the political landscape" of the United States.[3
Renegotiate trade deals. They are not stupid, but they have been badly negotiated.
Only if you also admit that unions and similar also are not people. I don’t care that you think they are purporting to represent the interests of people, they are still money-making, money-laundering schemes playing politics for their own gain just as much as any corporation. If you let half the big boys pay to play, you should also let the other half.
Also, what about the small group of small time citizens who band together to buy an ad for their candidate? Currently, they incorporate to do this. So they are an evil corporation or PAC at this point. What about them? Or are they not allowed to broadcast their POV to everyone else?
No go here. You cannot fire everyone you don’t like and then keep a few you do. Let’s put the show on the other foot and suppose I wrote this and said we’d fire everyone, but maybe keep a few like Cruz … but get rid of all those other idiots like Sanders or Warren. Face it, not everyone thinks or believes like you do and that is why those people are where they are. And just because you think a thing is “right” doesn’t necessarily make it so. It only make it your opinion, something we all have.
If we’re replacing everyone with random civilians, why are we testing them and why bother to reform elections?
You do understand that it is our allies who need to start taking care of themselves? We need to shift out bases out of our allies’ territory. I’d renegotiate for use rights and sell the bases back to them. We don’t need to be based there all the time, but if necessary, it’s good to know we can shift our men and material there at a moment’s notice. We need to keep our ability to project force which is what those bases are all about.
Again, this boils down to economists you approve of and not necessarily the best economists. IMO, in order to get a really good idea of what a plan should be, you need a broad mix of economists from a broad mix of economic thought, not just ones you approve of because you don’t think they’re “shills.”
Only when you decouple the welfare state from substance abuse entirely. You can have your party, but I refuse to subsidize it.
With PCP, meth, flakka and the rest now legal, you want to disarm the cops?
Not useless, but out of control.
Why spend all that time with all those economists if you are simplifying the tax code this much? It’s pretty easy to do, and wouldn’t take a committee. The real problem, in fact, is the spending, not the taxing.
I get it. You hate Republicans and conservatives, so you think the world would be Utopia is you abolished parties and instituted direct democracy, but why bother with this if we are being ruled by random citizens who are being intelligence and morality tested? Btw, I forgot to ask … whose morals are we using? The left keeps telling me that all morals are relative and we shouldn’t judge but if you have a test, aren’t you doing just that?
But getting back to this election reform, if you abolish the EC and party system, aren’t you making the single popular vote system a one-time all or nothing election?
You think single payer is better, but what if it isn’t? If it’s so good why do so many Canadians jump the border to the US to get their treatments in a timely manner? There are in fact significant issues to single payer that are never addressed and I have my doubts that your vastly simplified tax system would address the costs.
1.) How are you planning on improving public education? It seems to me that pretty much every president for past two or three have tried and failed miserably. Again, if you throw money at it, isn’t that shooting your simple tax system in the foot? And since throwing money at it has been the popular approach and has done jack squat to fix anything about it, what is your real solution to it?
2.) Free college has the same problem as free health care. How are you going to pay for it?
And when the next person takes power after you, they try you. Pretty soon, no one takes power anymore because everyone in power commits some kind of crime according to other side and the next guy to come along spends his or her entire term trying to put them in prison in an effort to assuage the people.
Oh, c’mon! You are a dictator being dictatorial. You’ve waved you wand and forced us into all kinds of other silliness, but you’re being persuasive here?
Cool! So if someone steals your car and then robs a bank and uses your car as the getaway, can we prosecute you for accessory, aiding and abetting? You should take better care with your vehicles, you know.
How do you get candidates to run who don’t want the job? Is this when we go back to picking random civilians again?
Um, so that’s how you avoid being prosecuted for treason or taking any of the accountability for your actions.