It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kenya burns elephant tusks to protest 'unprecedented' levels of ivory poaching

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Every year, more than 30,000 elephants are killed for their ivory and poaching in sub-Saharan Africa, but Kenya is taking active steps to try to curb the illegal trade. In the largest burn in history, Kenya has destroyed more than 100 tonnes of elephant tusks, worth more than $US100 million and taken from more than 6,000 individual animals.

The first ivory ban in the world was in Kenya, 27 years ago and Kenya Wildlife Service director general is hoping there will be a similar reaction this time around. The IVORY market in mostly based in Asia, with China the main offender. It's amazing how the tusks can exit Africa and arrive in the East without being detected.(corrupt officials on the take?) The poachers if caught face death, but this does not seem to worry them. It's a case of feed/provide for their family or starve to death. P.S. I see the head zoo-keeper in Java, Indonesia has been recently charged with corruption for stealing money which was to feed the Lions in the zoo, they should have FED him to the lions.... www.abc.net.au...
edit on 1-5-2016 by tommo39 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: tommo39

I remember them talking about doing this a year or so ago.

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't this just make ivory harder to get, therefore causing an increase in poaching live elephants instead of reducing it?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't this just make ivory harder to get, therefore causing an increase in poaching live elephants instead of reducing it?

So, they should let the poachers have it? They should sell it themselves?

There are certain similarities to the war on drugs I suppose. But the thing is there is definitely a limited supply of elephants.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Cutting off their nose to spite their face ? Has to be a better way.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Of course not let the poachers have it.

But reducing the supply of something that's already in demand seams like it will only increase the demand.

Maybe they could sell it to better fund protective measures for the elephants that are left. Museums or universities might be able to put it to use.

I just think something more productive could have been done. But I don't have any answers.
edit on 1-5-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Maybe they could sell it to better fund protective measures for the elephants that are left. Museums or universities might be able to putput it to use.
That's a thought. But the thing is, unless it's on the black market it's not worth much because reputable dealers (and hopefully buyers) would have nothing to do with it. The above is mostly speculation on my part.

I just think something more productive could have been done. But I don't have any answers.
Clones?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

In theory the stockpile was already out of supply. By holding on to it, an opportunity will always remain for someone to get hold of it.

I guess selling it, even for noble reasons, contradicts everything they stand for

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Well it isn't going to hitting the market either way, so store it or destroy it. Letting it be sold would definitely encourge killing more elephants for obvious reasons. Burning it at least tells the poachers and the market it was all for nothing..maybe it does increase it's value though. It's a really terribly distressing situation and there will be poaching either way

edit on 1-5-2016 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Clones is a fun idea.

Chadwickus
Maybe they could do an auction, and give the buyers a fancy piece of paper that says the Ivory was reclaimed from poachers and all proceeds went to protecting the elephants.

Having the right pieces of paper can make anything ok.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Great post let's not forget the burning of rhino horns. There are only a handful of black rhinos left on the planet and the demand for rhino horns is due to a myth in Vietnamese medicine. They believe ingesting the horns can cure cancer and because of the new money in Vietnam rhino horns are now more valuable than gold or heroine.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   
'' Feds destroy 100 tonnes of tusks in anti=poaching operation. In unrelated news, poachers state 300 tonnes were confiscated but officials deny this report ''

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Source?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn I think one of the main reasons for doing it was to create debate and outrage which it has done, we had a similar debate watching the news last night. At least people are talking about it now and outraged at what is happening. Maybe people will pay more attention to the issue now?

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr
Of interest. And seemingly oddly, Hawaii could be a serious player.
www.civilbeat.com...

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

WTF ??? just WTF ??????????????????

i was under the delusion that the ` solution ` to such a problem is to flood the market with fixed price [ cheap ] ivory from official chanels - thus the poached ivory is not worth the time // effort // risk

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Yes mate, it's a "catch22" whatever they do.You will always find the "baddies" will find a way to circumvent any new system they decide on. Just like the drug trade....cheers.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

There are not enough elephants to flood the market with tusks.
Interesting, there are more than enough drugs but the market does not seem to get flooded.

edit on 5/1/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11

Yes Joe, correct. Not only Rhino horns in Vietnam but also many exotic animal bones and organs. This country is a gateway on the Chinese border for contraband,customs are a joke, and there are many ways to cross unimpeded it you know the way.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

apologies, i should have added /s to the end!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Yes, this could be an immediate solution, but what happens when the confiscated ivory stocks are depleted? As PHAGE stated, not enough live stock left to satisfy supply demand. I understand there are elephant farms in South Africa which breed for tusk supply (rhino/elephant) but not enough for the world demand.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join