It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VirtualBox Problem: Cursor stuck on "guest" OS desktop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This is a common problem.

The solution to it is to use the right control button to disengage the cursor from the virtual desktop and allow it to move to the host desktop.

I have the additional problem that this solution does not work for me.

Windows 10 allows the cursor to move between host and guest automatically and that's what it did, initially, after installing VirtualBox and the guest OS, Windows 7. However in the process of fiddling around in order to get the guest OS to recognize and operate my scanner, something happened which then permanently captured the cursor on the virtual desktop. The only way I could then exit the guest OS was to click Alt-F4, which opened the Win 7 shut down dialogue box.

All suggestions will be appreciated, as usual.
edit on 30-4-2016 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I know the windows vitalization that is part of the insider version of windows 10 (on the add remove features page) has a setting for full integration with OS, that allows you to run an App that is installed on the windows 7 or xp system as if it was native to windows 10. Not so sure about the version you got but system intergration may be what your looking for see if you can find that feature.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

I had a similar issue with a copy of virtualbox yeeeaaaars ago in which I was stuck trying to get out of the Virtual Machine. If I understand correctly your issue (which I doubt, I just woke up at almost 3am!) the solution that worked for me was to press ALT+TAB at exactly the same time (not hold alt then press tab as usual). I can't remember if that was a default control or something I set up though lol x_x you may have to bash CTRL first too.

Just figured I'd post just on the tiny chance that it might actually work for ya haha
edit on 30/4/2016 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: CoBaZ

The software (Epson Scanner software), according to Epson, has had its drivers updated for Windows 10, and should run as native in Windows 10. Unfortunately, this does not seems to be the case. There is a ton of on line testimony to this, plus my own experience. I finally threw up my hands and realized that I would have to run the software on an older OS. (It works fine on Windows 7 and everything back to Win 2000.)

Isn't what you are suggesting, getting out of the frying pan and back into the fire?

The time I can spend on VirtualBox, trying to make it work, is limited. I will probably just buy another hard drive, install Win 7 on it and just restart the machine every time I have to use the scanner, which, currently, is not too often.

Thanks for the input, though.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

Thanks. The default is Rt. Control on this version of Virtual Box.

One of the things that may be affecting matters is that I have an Intuos drawing pad connected via USB, to the computer as well. I am going to disconnect it and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'm just going to put the second OS on another hard drive and go that route. It's just time. I don't have the time to putz around endlessly trying to make a virtual machine work.

Eureka!! I decided to try your suggested keystrokes, but they didn't work for me. Before shutting down the virtual OS, I went into the USB settings and unchecked the mouse. Voila, it was no longer captured on the Guest OS desktop. It seems counter intuitive to me. I guess I was thinking that checking it would allow the virtual OS to access the mouse, rather than capture it.

Anyway, all is well with the world for the moment. In the morning I will go back to setting up file sharing between the host and guest machines. Thanks again. A home run is a home run, even if it bounces off the foul post.
edit on 1-5-2016 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join