It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Equal rights is not the same as being equal.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Equal Rights

Having equal rights is not the same as being equal. There is a common misuse of this. Just because you should be guaranteed the same rights does not mean we are all equal, nor should we be. Being an individual with different personalities is what being human is all about. Having laws that protect the rights of all is completely different.

Of course, everyone should have the same rights. Young, old, color, sexual orientation, religion, rich or poor. There should be no difference in this regard, but as for personalities and the choices we make on how we decide to live our lives daily, as long as we do not hurt others in the process, is never supposed to be equal.

There should be some age restrictions when it comes to certain things and I have no problem with that. What I do have a huge problem with is the ability for people with money to get things done over those without money. The inequality of wealth distribution is a huge gap and plays a role in how equal rights are exploited.

Yes, there are racist inequalities, too. This however is across the board, not influenced specifically by wealth. Every single person on this planet has some form of racist attitude towards something or someone, it is unavoidable because we are all human and therefore far from perfect. I could offer many racist tendencies, but it is not necessary to do so.

Most of you that read this and take a moment to be completely honest with yourself will see I am right, no matter whether you think you are a racist or not, there is something in your personality that is racist somewhere. There are degrees of racism, but on this front we are all equally capable of being racists to some variance.

No, we are not all created equal, but we should all be guaranteed the same exact rights. This is for every human being on this planet, not just a select few.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: forthelove

Absolutely true.

Free men aren't equal and equal men aren't free.

edit on 2016/4/30 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
No, I am not racist in the slightest.

Speak for yourself. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408 So you'd be perfectly comfortable walking down a street in Compton wearing a red shirt?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: forthelove The word racist is misused. Prejudiced would be more accurate.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AVtech34

An aversion to being shot at by Crips is not racist.

It's common sense.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: forthelove

Agree completely, Although in the sense of your post, I think prejudiced would be more accurate.

The only way there will be universal equality is if there is only one left standing in the end.
edit on 30/4/2016 by LamontCranston because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
50 tomato plants start from the seed.

They all get to grow all summer. At the end, we'll tally how many tomatoes they produce.

They all start out more or less equal, but some grow in different places. Some have better conditions during their growing season through no fault of their own. Some have people who take better care of them for various reasons. Some are just plain better tomato plants in terms of being healthier or more vigorous growers.

How all those variables coincide and interact will in part determine their end yields and so when the winter comes, some of those tomatoes will have produced a LOT more fruit than others.

Does that mean it was unfair to some of the other tomato plants? Or was it just life?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Equality of opportunity does not equal equality of achievement. the problem arises when people believe that if you do NOT have equality of achievement, it must be due to favoritism or discrimination, thus the racism card gets deployed because, in this scenario equality means everyone is equally intelligent and motivated, both of which are necessary for achievement, and neither of which is distributed equally.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AVtech34

I think you need to look up the definition of both words.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

The fact you so vehemently deny this is evidence to me that you are not being honest with yourself.

top topics

join