It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They're Heeere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Guess who showed up in my little town....

The religious crackpots that everybody loves to hate!!...
The Westboro Baptist Church!

www.mywabashvalley.com...

Casey, IL Along interstate 70 sits Casey, Illinois, a caring community that keeps to itself and is known for larger than life items, like the world's biggest rocking chair and wind chimes.
This weekend the community is expecting a visit from a group known for larger than life hate tactics, Westboro Baptist Church. Jon McDonald says "The most important thing for us is to not engage with them at and so we want to make sure we get that out loud and clear, that that's the absolute best way we can deal with that situation."
Jon McDonald is the pastor at Casey's First Baptist Church, his church is one of three the group is targeting for protests. Jon McDonald says "We do dread that we do share the same middle name as them Baptist, and we have absolutely no affiliation and I hesitate to even use that word for them because of the baggage that it brings for us." Casey Police Chief Mark Jenkins posted on social media warning the community of the potential arrival, and so far the community seems to be following a simple plan. Seth Crampton says "They're definitely not gonna fit in, and the majority of us are just gonna ignore them and not give them the attention they're looking for."
For Pastor McDonald the group's actions are disappointing, but he sees this weekend as a potential blessing. Jon McDonald says "It's frustrating but at the same time I see this as a great opportunity for us to be able to display the truth of the gospel, and I think the light of the gospel is going to shine even brighter against the darkness of the false gospel that they share and so I really think that this could be the best thing that has ever happened for the gospel in our city in our county."

Apparently, they've sunk to new lows, because they're not getting enough attention, so are doing a sweep of churches, protesting they're not spreading The Truth. Well, the truth as they tell it anyway. As far as I can tell, the town has pretty much just ignored them.
I don't have particular point to this thread, other than that these ill begotten SOBs get all the negative press possible. Personally, I was hoping someone would bounce a few bricks off their skulls, but that's just not the people around here. Unless they get violent themselves, they'll be ignored and hopefully lose interest and move on.
edit on 30-4-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Good grief! And here I thought they'd crawled under a rock and died after ol' Fred died. They were at my college graduation waving their little signs. You do just ignore them. That's all they're going to do, be annoying.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, me too. I thought they were done when their "leader" died, but I guess they just can't get enough.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I thought Satan would be picking them up already and hauling them to the promised land, guess I was wrong.

Keep us informed as to what happens.

Nothing like Christians protesting against fellow Christians.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It's been raining buckets here all day. I hope they're standing out in it. Gonna take a quick run through town and see what's going on. Hopefully, some of them are standing close to the road and a nice big mud puddle, so I can splash them as I go by.

Crap!! Just found out they won't be here till tomorrow.

Well, the protests are not till tomorrow, but I'm not sure if they are in town yet. There's a very nice hotel, out by the interstate and that's pretty much the only one, unless you want to drive to Terre Haute or Effingham.
edit on 30-4-2016 by DAVID64 because: typo

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Aren't they a hoot??

I've only seen them once - across the street while we were lining up to get into Eddie Izzard's live show a couple of years ago.

loons.

Oh, and there are some family members who have left and denounced the entire clan...Nate Phelps is an advocate for secularism...he is a fantastic speaker (saw him speak live a few years back at a conference by the Society of Open-Minded Atheists & Agnostics at KU - SOMA).

He talked about his whole childhood, and how he 'got away' the night of his 18th birthday - stealth in the dark of night -
but yeah, even after old Fred died they kept going - and Fred was actually 'excommunicated' from the 'church' before he died. It is a ridiculous, surreal story around that family. Not much different than the Duggars, though, is it?

Or Duck Dynasty? Yeah - but, these people aren't on a reality tv show....they just really are that damaged and screwed up. All due to religion.

edit on 4/30/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

You got to see Eddy?!!
LOVE that guy. He. Is. Hilarious!

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

edit on 4/30/16 by Gothmog because: cant seem to get a reply in

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

yeah, I've seen him twice now!!!

He was so funny, when he came out on stage, he was wearing bright red lipstick - and the first thing out of his mouth was, "I wasn't going to wear lipstick tonight, but the blokes over the street said it would be all right!"

(Yeah, in case anyone doesn't understand; Eddie is a British cross-dressing heathen comedian who does hysterically funny Python-esque stand up.
Lately, though, he's been less flamboyant.....see "Dress to Kill" for a classic Eddie example).

(And WBC was there to protest his show). They had signs saying that gay lovers go to hell or some such nonsense....homo encouragers are doomed.....god hates crossdressers.....you get the idea. We all stood on the curb looking at them, pointing and laughing, taking pictures (like it was a pregame show!) while they stood on the opposite curb being annoying idiots.

edit on 4/30/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: not a pagan, a heathen - deliciously irreverent and genius humor

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
WBC will probably be there as people are entering the church, arriving in the parking lot, etc.
By the time church gets out, I'd bet their gone. Or maybe out across from the town cafe where everyone goes for after-service brunch.....

I wonder, incidentally: will they will be sporting Ted Cruz stickers on their vehicles, clothing, or signs?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
What ever happened to hate the sin, love the sinner??

Hmmm?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Phelps was a Democrat you know ...

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So??? What the Flipping Hell has that got to with anything? Crazy old man Phelps is dead. He was a raging lunatic Calvinist Tyrant who abused his entire family. A sleazy lawyer who took advantage of law loopholes to sue people for 'defamation' after provoking them. A "first amendment" abuser.

sheesh, ketsuko - grasping much? They would be slobbering for Ted to win - he's exactly their kinda guy. Smarmy, sleazy, lying, manipulative, repulsive nutjob with delusions of grandeur, a bit of a masochism issue, and a lot of self-congratulation who believes he is the Anointed One to bring the Dominionist/Reconstructionist vision to our society. Praise Jesus ancannagetta amen....
THEOCRATS who peddle biblical nonsense. Phelps ran his family as a theocrat.
Ted will do that for the country.

And you obviously know little about the Phelps family, history, or story. I'm rather familiar with the whole thing, because I researched it.

edit on 4/30/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

To whom are you referring? Who are you asking or thinking is not doing that?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
We can learn from everything. These radical religious people teach us how nice it is to be normal and civil. They are teaching us how not to be.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yes. The ones here within our borders, the ones in the Middle-East, the ones everywhere that simply don't know how to act or behave. Twp.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Phelps was a Democrat you know ...

Who gets a bigger black eye with these nutbars? Politicos or Christians?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Nate was just in my town yesterday we had a skepticon conference. It was awesome.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11

Isn't he a great speaker?
Cool!!

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Yeah he is an incredible speaker. And good for him growing up in that messy cult and leaving. It must have been difficult to leave your family but he did the right thing.

new topics

top topics

join