It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop accepting racism

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: CranialSponge

I've puzzled over it as well. Why is this problem so bad in the US as opposed to Canada?

Because here in the US there was this thing called slavery, where Africans were bought and sold like cattle, held captive, beaten, raped, hung from trees, and forced into hard labor.
They were also subject to breeding programs where the desired traits were strong and dumb.

Then we cut them loose.

How did the geniuses of the time think things would turn out?

Seriously? So they should've just kept them like animals and still be treating them the same way in 2016? Is that what you're suggesting? If so I strongly believe ATS needs an ignore button because people who make comments like this will never say anything of value I want to hear.

Don't bother responding because I will not entertain idiotic statements.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Stop letting people around blame you for their problems and cut it off immediately.

Enough is enough time to cut the Bs and PC culture and call a spade a spade.

The cold hard truth is that what is often referred to as "systemic racism" is very real but most people (of all races) seem oblivious to its fundamental nature or why it persists.

Part of the problem is that issues of race are examined through political lenses. On the Right, the popular sentiment is that "racism" ended in the 60's and black folks need to just "just get over it." Essentially, the idea here is that systemic racism is a problem of the past that was remedied by the end of Jim Crow laws.

On the Left, in recent years, there's been an embrace of parts of what is collectively known as Critical Race Theory (which is, imo largely political pseudoscience), including concepts like "white privilege." In this case, the general idea is that "the system" inherently favors white people and therefore perpetuates racial inequality.

There are kernels of truth in each. It's no longer legal for states to have ostensibly racist laws and open racism is no longer tolerated in mainstream society and yet, objective analysis reveals that white people are unencumbered by racial biases that negatively impact other "races."

In my opinion, the root of persisting inequality is the disparity in economic opportunity. Black Americans as a group have been unable to achieve economic parity despite so-called "positive discrimination" efforts like Affirmative Action. Worse yet, as employment continues to shift toward service industries, we can expect to see racial tensions increase. We see it happening in this Presidential election. There's a reason why Trump is disproportionately popular among the underemployed/less educated white demographic — these people have seen their economic opportunity dwindle and they're rightly concerned about the future. At the same time, blacks have been disproportionately less educated/underemployed all along and the gains black Americans as a whole were making in the middle of the last century were dealt a similar blow, decades ago when manufacturing employment started to slip and were dealt a double whammy by the effects of mass incarceration and the "War on Drugs."

Do you ever wonder why "rust belt" cities like Detroit and Chicago have large populations of blacks living in economically depressed neighborhoods when at the turn of the century something like 90% of black Americans lived in the South? It's because there were essentially three large waves of immigration out of the South, away from Jim Crow laws and the like and toward what was then economic opportunity outside of the still agrarian South, particularly after the immigration of poor Europeans was restricted (following Immigration Act of 1924) and industry needed factory workers.

What happened when the factories were shut down and the jobs moved away? Consider that peak manufacturing employment occurred at the same time as the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974 which established things like "Section 8" housing. What do you think happens when people with poor employment opportunities are concentrated into densely packed neighborhoods? The result is economically depressed areas with no tax base to support education (the biggest funding of which comes from property taxes) and infrastructure and it's hopelessness, resentment, stigmatization, higher crime rates (and inadequate legal defense) and a fertile breeding ground for gangs — in other words, the result is ghettos and these could be filled with white people, black people or another other "race."

In summation, the answer to ending racial tensions begins with solving the employment issues we face as a result of deindustrialization and afaik, technological progress precludes a return to the industrialization of the past so "bring the jobs back" campaign rhetoric is just more BS that won't fix anything.
edit on 2016-4-30 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ForestBehindTheTrees

Seriously? So they should've just kept them like animals and still be treating them the same way in 2016? Is that what you're suggesting?

I don't recall suggesting anything. I was answering a question as to why there is more racial tension in the US than there is in Canada.

If so I strongly believe ATS needs an ignore button because people who make comments like this will never say anything of value I want to hear.

Awe I'll start putting a disclaimer before any hard to swallow facts about America's brutal history just for you okay.
edit on 30-4-2016 by Bone75 because: oops

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Nothing I said was untrue. You basically just called me a racist then threw up a strawman right after acknowledging my fact as correct.

That's what you think just happened? You said that blacks as a whole are intellectually inferior to whites because they were bred to be:

They were also subject to breeding programs where the desired traits were strong and dumb. Then we cut them loose.

I don't care about political correctness and if this was the objective reality of the matter, I'd acknowledge it — but it isn't. Deliberate organized "programs" for breeding slaves were of limited number and mostly efforts in the period after about 1808 were simply geared toward expanding the numbers of slaves because the import of new slaves had been banned. Furthermore, breeding people isn't like breeding dogs. Dogs reach sexual maturity something like 12-15x faster than a human beings. In order to breed human beings for specific traits like strength, you'd need centuries of careful breeding toward a specific goal not a few generations of haphazard forced procreation.

So no, you're completely wrong. You believe an asinine myth that has been bouncing around since black athletes first entered professional sports.

The fact that you believe and in fact, promote myths about racial superiority/inferiority makes you by definition, a racist. That's a fact. That's what a racist is. That's not political correctness.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

People are getting attacked and killed every day for being White

Sources?

The news?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Raxoxane

I see a lot of unwarranted hatred for whites,and racism against whites these days

Where?

You might not see it, but it is there.

Heres a fun game, try to apply the things everyone else gets pissed off about, to being white.

I know, fun right?! and when you do it, you'll see it. but sooking about it, well, who is an adult, and not a cry baby.

Your turn?!

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Because here in the US there was this thing called slavery

Canada had slavery as well,is your point that treatment of slaves was worse in the U.S?
That might be due to the low slave population. Canadian Slavery. Also human trafficking/slavery still exist in both countries,so how exactly has "cutting them loose" worsened race relations...?
edit on 4pm30America/Chicago3006America/Chicagopm430 by NateTheAnimator because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join