It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-117 retirement...this time they mean it

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: gariac

my thinking was the same when it comes to the RAM coating, surely they will strip the coating somehow. I can't believe that the "recipe" is still Top Secret, even though alot of people now believe they know the mixture.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: pigsy2400

You can buy RAM off the shelf for RF applications. Now making RAM suitable for aviation might take some work. ;-)
arc-tech.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Everything I've ever seen on display (even in restricted access hangars like Edwards) have the RAM paint taken off even before it's in the hangar.
Our guides literally scoffed at me when I asked if the RAM paint was still on Cooley's F-117 (which, BTW, still had a Scorpion insignia by this cockpit) that's being restored currently at Edwards.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomeyKXTA

Everything I've ever seen on display (even in restricted access hangars like Edwards) have the RAM paint taken off even before it's in the hangar.
Our guides literally scoffed at me when I asked if the RAM paint was still on Cooley's F-117 (which, BTW, still had a Scorpion insignia by this cockpit) that's being restored currently at Edwards.

Given the Bakersfield and Yugoslavia crash, it is clear the RAM coating isn't much of a secret these days.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

And also the crashes at Alamogordo and Zuni. All of the wreckage from the Alamogordo crash (minus classified avionics) was sold to civilian scrap dealers through proper government surplus channels.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Put nukes on them, add autopilot/Drone equipment and make them long range stealth cruise missiles as part of our Nuclear deterrent. Put a cheap runway in front of them with a nice hard bunker with automatic doors and launch them as retaliation for a Nuke attack on us.

Our ICBM's are getting older and older and Obama removed the multiple war heads.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

The Chinese air force would say differently. It's a state secret that they discovered RAM avionic adaptable technology...way way WAY BEFORE the Yugoslavian crash, of course.

Hah, that's funny.
Throwing it back, When I asked an aerial photographer about the RAM, he just laughed in my face (this was before I began talking jargon, and was pretending to be a dumb tourist until I noticed the scorpion on the F-117) after mentioning detachment 3, the conversation we had took an awesome turn.
Nothing was divulged, thanks to his NDA, but oh man, plenty of questions i asked that couldn't be answered.
Be right back, there are some suits at the door

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: HomeyKXTA

Oaths are sworn to the constitution, but NDAs are the real enforcement.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Exactly.
I like to show people where the door to the rabbit hole is located, but I'll never divulge things behind that door that can't be found out with a trained eye, and a few cool, legal tools.
One of my hashtags on instagram has to do with being NDA free

I'm guessing we've all got photos that would not be cool to post. I know I do, and I learned from Chuck Clark:
The originals are safely stored in a safety deposit box until the bird becomes declassified.
Until then?
=X

edit on 992016 by HomeyKXTA because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
It's too bad they simply want to scrap them. I would think some allies would be interested in using them. Evidently they are considered obsolete and cost prohibitive now.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: HomeyKXTA

Nice shot of the osprey
haha

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: tomcat007

The Aviationist site has a video of 2 flying at Tonapah this past Summer.

They still have their uses, just not in combat.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike81

You're welcome.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Good stuff man. Great photos.

Thank you!

edit on 28-9-2016 by Mike81 because: .

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike81

It was fun. Sam and I were both about coming out of our shoes when we saw what was in the hangars and they started heading to the runway. He did a hell of a job keeping that scope on them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join