It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does a person keep searching for answers?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I am wondering, why does a person keep searching for answers regarding the events going through his mind?

There are some people, who are not familiar with new thoughts/events in their mind, and due to their way of thinking, they are searching for answers in the terms of ghosts, dead spirits, psychics, dreams, and so on...

The reasoning is endless, but practically leads to nowhere. No way, that a person is running through so many options, none of them can satisfy his needs, and he still strongly believes that something evil is manipulating his mind/thoughts/dreams.

I believe, these are the first signs of mid-age paranoia. People bearing these signs will surely end up their life under hard core treatments belted on a firm bed.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Most people who keep searching for answers are people who currently is not very happy with their current lives.They think that life should be more than what they are currently having and thus they embark on the quest for the Truth.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
When I was in grade two, I had a dream that a boy in my class was kidnapped and taken to a cave. the kidnappers broke a window of my classroom to get in. When I was having breakfast and telling my brother (who was in grade one) about it, he swore he had the same dream. My mom, who was in the kitchen too, said she had the same dream too.
Well, I got to school, and the window was broken and the boy was not in class. He never did come back. I assume that his family just moved away or something, but still....my dream was right about him being gone, and the window being broken.
Back in 1983, my best friend's girlfriend was in a dream I had, and I told him about it, she and I were kissing, it did not go over well, so I shut up. They broke up a month or so later, she moved out of her parents and into a basement suite, and I was over there one night, and just as we started to kiss I realized it was the basement suite in my dream, exactly the same. When I had the dream she was dating him, living at home. Within a couple of months of the dream, they split up, she moved into a basement suite, and one night as we kissed, I remembered the dream and looked around. The couch and tv were in the same place, the carpet was chocolate brown, the same colour, and there were a couple of sheets of foolscap paper lying on the floor in front of the tv in the same place and orientation as in my dream.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kronn
Most people who keep searching for answers are people who currently is not very happy with their current lives.They think that life should be more than what they are currently having and thus they embark on the quest for the Truth.

That's fine. Nothing wrong with people searching for answers. But I strongly believe, that people being unhappy with their lives should search for those answers within sensible barriers, than extending their search in dreams and aliens. It just doesn't make sense, that a person has a real life problem, and he asks for help from the symbols of his dreams.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vertu
Nothing wrong with people searching for answers. But I strongly believe, that people being unhappy with their lives should search for those answers within sensible barriers

Everyone's idea of what is a sensible barrier is different. What doesn't make sense to you may make perfect sense to someone else. That's what makes us all unique.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Hi vertu, Are talking about me?????

I know, I'm like that, I search for answers all the time to the big questions of life, why? I don't know but I need deeply to know and I get contacts and chills from somewhere all the time...
Because I feel that What we do everyday in every minute of every hour have no real meaning, it's just that, I need to find a sens to life, and that won't be reproduce myself...

I can't accept to work, pay, buy, work, pay, buy rest in the week-end and do cleaning, groceries, dinner and go on with the routine till I die, it's just that life is not that, I'm sure! I'm not a down to earth person at all, but that is me and I accept it for me, maybe I'm not the only one, but I'm like that wether it's right or wrong

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I think, at least in my case, searching for MORE than your average stuff happens when life is going pretty well. There are not real or horrible things going on. Things in my life right now are very pleasant, hence the emotional energy can be spent on non essential things. Such as this. It interests me.

It is a bit of interesting fantasy that might be real. Cool to explore and look and see.

That is my reason. Also, though things can probably be explained away as "imagination" the gut feeling is they are not. You look to validate that gut instinct. Rationally, I can easily explain alot of the bizarre things that have happened to me. On a very basic level, I know that would be the real untruth. That reality is much more complex than the easy explanation

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
People who feel good with their big screen t.v, parties and the car, they are fine with life, materialism is here to make you "don't care about the real questions"
Work harder to aford a new house, a new sofa....you get deep into the routine 3D material, money life
People are too busy worrying about the everyday life to think about that
That is what is NORMAL, not to think about it
So me, I'm not normal to others...understand?!

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
But it's o.k, that's just life hehehe

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by toechopper
Everyone's idea of what is a sensible barrier is different. What doesn't make sense to you may make perfect sense to someone else. That's what makes us all unique.

Well, I mustn't say that I am among those "everyday" people with monotonic life , but I still believe, that those people who found the answer for a particular question, should not disturb their own thoughts with more and more ideas. When I find an answer, I stick to that firmly, and nothing on Earth will be able to swing me away from my thoughts. I am faithful in a healthy way, and I keep living that way. Those people, who are not satisfied with their own thoughts, and keep wishing to see something different, are not faithful to their own self, and they don't even know how their thoughts work.

So how could you get to know another person, if you are not even able to manage yourself? I guess, it is a major issue in today's life. Those people are having real problems, who are driven in many directions by any influence they are exposed to.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Vertu, you seem to think all of this paranormal stuff is a bunch of hooey anyhow. Yet you give it alot of thought and time. Why?

My life is anything but monotonous. Believe me. But, it is the fact that I am not in need of any basic requirements. Such as food, shelter love. Those are very full. Since my basic needs are met, I am just moving up the pyramid.

At any point that we are driven down to lower levels of need, you start focusing on the basic ones first. There is not time left for more frivolous searching. You gotta eat, stay warm, be loved.

If that makes sense. You do come off (and possibly only to me) as someone who feels better by looking at those who think differently as less intelligent.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by llpoolej
Vertu, you seem to think all of this paranormal stuff is a bunch of hooey anyhow. Yet you give it alot of thought and time. Why?

If that makes sense. You do come off (and possibly only to me) as someone who feels better by looking at those who think differently as less intelligent.

This thread is meant to target those people, who cannot know where to stop. I have written everything in my previous posts, and I'm rather curious of the "investigative" people, who cannot value another person's thoughts, only their own thoughts mean anything to them. Sad, but there are people who have no barriers in their way of thinking, and that leads to very disturbing confusions.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I've searched for answers all my life. I do it because I have questions. Frankly, I couldn't imagine a world without questions.

You see, the more I learn the more I realize I don't know, which means the smarter I become the dumber I get. I figure at some point its just GOT to balance out.

Perhaps someday i'll find the nothingness that so many others seem to believe in. Still, every journey into nothingness must begin with something real, if only to the one on the journey. So I begin with the real questions I have and travel forward. So far i've yet to be let down.

It would be easier to stop the sun from shining or the season from changing than to stop the growth of the eternal soul. So I learn.

Love and light to each of you,

Wupy

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
curiosity in the unknown

The brain works by linking ideas or thought together. we constantly try to fill up the "web" that enables us to have a memory and knowledge. it is our natural instinct to be curious.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
I've searched for answers all my life. I do it because I have questions. Frankly, I couldn't imagine a world without questions.

So far i've yet to be let down.

And where do the confusions begin? When you ask yourself the same question every time, and you never hang onto any answer you recieve in life. This thinking would disable you to move onto further questions to become wise. It proves your spiritual strength and your confidence, whether you are capable to face new questions, leaving the old ones behind, because they are already answered. Many people are unable to advance to a higher level simply because they never learnt to look forward and never turn back.

Only this problem would give you disturbing sleepless nights, if you are uncertain of what the future holds to you. Personally I am completely different. I'm not saying that life never let me down, but it never could take my confidence, in fact, it always made me stronger.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I don't know, why are you searching for why others are searching for answers?

Maybe that is the answer to your question too.

Surf

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amelia
People who feel good with their big screen t.v, parties and the car, they are fine with life, materialism is here to make you "don't care about the real questions"
Work harder to aford a new house, a new sofa....you get deep into the routine 3D material, money life
People are too busy worrying about the everyday life to think about that
That is what is NORMAL, not to think about it
So me, I'm not normal to others...understand?!

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
But it's o.k, that's just life hehehe

That's why people need to win the lottery (including myself). Having an exorbitant amount of money so you never had to worry about finances again would enable people to think about this sort of thing all the time.

I hate being confined to this society in which working is a necessity. It is a waste of our lives, literally. We work from ages 18 to 65 (roughly) the prime of our lives. This is the time that we SHOULDN'T be restrained, yet it's passing us by. I hate working, it is useless and very unnatural. It takes away from so much learning and self-growth that people could be experiencing.

I think about my life, trials and tribulations. I think about my friends and family. I think about everyone in the world, and I get very upset inside. There is so much we could be living for, yet it is all pissed away with having to maintain a career and working. If you honestly think about it, it's heartbreaking. Truly. Life passes you by before you even had a chance to experience it because of a profession. I suppose some sort of median must be found, balancing work with what you want to do. This seems normal for so many people, not me unfortunately.

I'd like someone to comment on this next part, as it really gets to me:

I recently got a career type job as I am just out of college, and I see it all slipping away, and it makes me sad. Most would say don't feel that way, you're off to a great start! Great education, great job, great pay, own a house, you're set!!

Unfortunately I am completely 180 opposite. Is this it? My younger (years when I was free) are now gone, and I'm confined to this society in which work is a necessity? I don't care if I live a mundane life, I don't need anything and everything magnificent. I don't need to experience all there is and to be blessed with fame and fortune, I just need to be happy. But for me, any kind of career whatsoever does not offer me that possibility, as it doesn't make me happy. I suppose I am stuck. People say, that's not true, just find a job doing something you like that to do, something that makes you happy. Well folks, that would be absolutely nothing.

Why are we stuck in a world in which we need to work away our lives? Why can so many others accept this fact and I cannot? How can people go on living just fine in a society like this?

This may seem extremely shallow to most of you, but I assure you it isn't, it has nothing to with greed, selfishness, laziness, etc. I have given it some thought, and the only way to avoid all of this is unfortunately to play by "their" rules, and accumulate a lot of material wealth. Only after which you can do what you want as, you are not constrained by the normal limits of society. Am I wrong in this thinking, how else does one go about doing what he wants without a life-long profession? Please don't say by moving to a cabin somewhere in Alaska and living off the land. In our MODERN society, the sad truth is that people really do need money to survive, and that comes about from a job. Only I cannot find peace in this, and I fear I never will.

Anyway I'm ranting again, any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Sorry if I've stolen the thread. =/

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
If you weren't working 9-5 for money and modern conveniences, you would be working sun up to sun down basically 365 to eat and keep a roof over your head. Though I think it is physically easier to be in the modern world, it is probably mentally easier to be in a "live off the land" world

Life is not without work. No matter what society you are in. You are probably just have a case of the post college real world blues.

I know I had them.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vertu

Originally posted by mrwupy

So far i've yet to be let down.

And where do the confusions begin? When you ask yourself the same question every time, and you never hang onto any answer you recieve in life. This thinking would disable you to move onto further questions to become wise. It proves your spiritual strength and your confidence, whether you are capable to face new questions, leaving the old ones behind, because they are already answered. Many people are unable to advance to a higher level simply because they never learnt to look forward and never turn back.

Regardless of where your going or where you've been you will always be right where your at.

Answers are flexible just as situations change. We learn so that we can see the differance in that and have several options when were faced with any difficulty.

Holding onto any one truth is folly, for always life will come along and challenge the convictions of man. If your not willing to grow and reach beyond what you are at the moment than life becomes a hopeless holding on as fate and time close in and take you away.

We search for answers because to not search is nothing short of spiritual death. We search because we must.

Wupy

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I thought of a few things:
First off, if we stick to answers that are comfortable, we place ourselves in danger. Dinosaurs are plentiful! Lets keep eating them! You can't get pregnant the first time. Repairing 8 track players will make me rich. See what I mean?

As for theoretical things, one subject this topic brings to mind is 'The Big Bang'.
I read a book called "The Big Bang Never Happened" (Forget the author, sorry) and this was most interesting because it views the universe from the perspective of plasma physics. And it lines up quite neatly too.....unlike 'Big Bang theories' which have to be constantly jiggered with, adjusted, etc, and they don't really "fit". However, people cling to the Big Bang theory because they have heard it ad nauseum. Physicists cling to it because for most of them it constitutes their life's work and they just cannot let go.

I feel it is always better to be flexible rather than rigid. That could lead to hanging yourself, you know?

The other thoughts I had were about Ajax' post (love the pancake!)
You know, I hate working too! I am unemployed right now, but I better get a job soon! I am a Mechanical Engineer and I've got "Burnout" in a big way!
I thought I would like this sort of work because I like to make things, and in a way there are some aspects that I DO like. But for the most part, its boring and Corporate America......well, we all know what the biz jerk mgmt types are like. It amazes me that something can be extremely boring yet extremely tedious and stressfull at the same time! If I listed all the people I know who have literally been ground down from this work the entire internet would blow up!!!! Look up workplace shootings........an inordinate amount of them happen in manufacturing!

Some people like their work and are happy.......I too am trying to figure this out and I am 38 years old!!!!! I LOVE being a slacker and not working.....but I need to survive, and I have rather expensive tastes as well. Even to get a basic house here in Chicago costs $250,000. How can I afford this on 40K per year?????? Its not about materialism, I would just like to have a house instead of a crappy apartment, and some decent furniture instead of garage sale junk. I have no desire to get married and have kids, so that's not an issue. Like I could afford kids regardless. Money wise OR time wise: I can't work on my MS and Phd if I'm chasing kiddies. Perhaps this is the answer: Everything is a trade of. The only thing I would really like to do is be a professional artist......but. This is pretty much a crap shoot and only a lucky few make a living at it. I work on it just the same. I am also trying to come up with a business idea I could work off the Net. The next Pet Rock. HA! I would also like to get into Real Estate-- like rehabbing houses, having investment property, because there is money in this. Aaarrrggghhh! I don't know.
Work is for chumps though, I dislike dealing with jerky people and corporate clones. I try to investigate many avenues so I can become financially independant someday.

I believe this "life system" is set up/controlled by the government because they want to keep you occupied. They don't want Anarchists walking around, stirring up trouble, and especially getting hands on their money. The rich are afraid of the poor. The system is set up so that the majority of average people have just enough to keep them reasonably satisfied. The wealthy make vast sums off the proletarians back too (what's the figure? 5% of the people control 95% of the wealth? Something like that.) Freeing oneself from slavery is not easy.

The only advice I can offer at this point is: Stay away from Multi Level Marketing scams. And if you are young, be very very careful about producing children because once you do you are REALLY trapped. Why do you think the fundies push "happy family life"? Because they like it? Truly believe its best? NO. Because they need the incoming consumer base for their economic Ponzi scheme and because they want you TIED DOWN.

FIGHT THE POWER! Any and all ways you can!
As we can see from MY attitude - I have certainly crossed the proverbial lines, eh? I don't care. I don't want to have a boring life. Regular suburban life - such as preached through TV and ads seems boring to me. In regards to the OP -- hey, I LOVE being weird! All lines MUST be crossed......or else.......one winds up in the hell of boredom!

N

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
If we didnt keep searching for answers then what else would we do

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join