It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX Wins Its First Major Military Contract

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
On humanity and its journey to Mars SpaceX reached a new era when breaking up the space launch monopoly.

It's been a good week for SpaceX. The private spaceflight company just won a major contract to launch a military payload into space--a job that has long been monopolized by United Launch Alliance (ULA), a joint venture between industry giants Boeing and Lockheed Martin.

In May 2018, SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket will launch a GPS satellite (called GPS III) into space for the Air Force. And according to another announcement from yesterday, that's the same year the company hopes to launch its Dragon capsule to Mars. It's gonna be a big year for SpaceX

The contract also marks a significant first for Elon Musk’s rocket company, which DoD had previously only entrusted with small, experimental satellites. The deal is SpaceX’s first award under the Air Force’s Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle Program, which since its inception has divided the launch of big-ticket national security satellites between the Atlas and Delta rockets.

link to article
edit on 29-4-2016 by PanPiper because: link

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: PanPiperMy Nephew works for Elon. He works long hours in the space capsules puting them together. He was air force for several years before this gig

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Elon Musk is a winner and a visionary. And we are going to see in a few short years, his success.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
Elon Musk is a winner and a visionary. And we are going to see in a few short years, his success.
I shouldnt repeat this on here, but Elon is a jerk, with lawsuits pending from employees per my nephew

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I think they said the same thing about Edison, Jobs, Zuckerberg, and countless more.

It is interesting how when one wins and succeeds to new levels, that things like this become more common to hear.

I dont think social skills or being a nice person always, was the benefactee of ones business prowess.

I like Elon.
I dont admire Edison.
And I despised Jobs.

Edit to add: I certainly would, have, or are invested in many of these types.
edit on 30-4-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

You and I know those lawsuits are just a waste of time.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   

So long as his success propels humanity off this rock and into the solar system / galaxy / universe he has my support.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

So long as his success propels humanity off this rock and into the solar system / galaxy / universe he has my support.

Exactly, as many of our brightest minds have already stated. The only way to prevent our species from extinction is spreading among the cosmos. If Elon is a jerk as someone stated, thats fine. Nothing wrong with being a jerk, nice guys always finish last anyways. Seems he has right ideas for humanity, so I have nothing but respect for the man.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

The same Musk

Musk is a self-described American exceptionalist and nationalist, describing himself as "nauseatingly pro-American". According to Musk, the United States is "[inarguably] the greatest country that has ever existed on Earth", describing it as "the greatest force for good of any country that's ever been". Musk believes outright that there "would not be democracy in the world if not for the United States", arguing there were "three separate occasions in the 20th-century where democracy would have fallen with World War I, World War II and the Cold War, if not for the United States"

He does some cool stuff but a visionary he is not, if that is his line of thinking

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: PanPiper
a reply to: visitedbythem

You and I know those lawsuits are just a waste of time.
It maybe that he broke California labor law

new topics

top topics

join