It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is causing 11 quakes in Turkey, in the last 24?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Currently (11 pm eastern, April 29 2016) the US Geological Survey of worldwide quakes shows none in Turkey,. But Global incident map shows 11 , 2 to 4, and three right on the Syrian Turkey border. Data glitch or suppression?
Sites are: earthquake usgs dot gov / earthquakes the other is quakes globalincidentmap dot com.
Because this is a war zone, Erdogan threatening Assad, Putin defending, and Israel supporting ISIS, and all parties capable of calling on nukes, it raises questions.
Particularly the three right on the border: here is one: WWW.GLOBALINCIDENTMAP.COM

Type: EarthQuake
6 hours ago
Magnitude: 2.7
DateTime: 2016-04-29 15:49:30
Region: Turkey-syria Border Region
Depth: 9

Is someone experimenting with new explosive technology? Why cannot USGS report this???
Source: CSEM-EMSC Feed

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The same thing that always has caused earthquakes in Turkey.
failures.wikispaces.com...

Why cannot USGS report this???
Because the USGS does not record earthquakes less than 4.0 on a global basis.

edit on 4/29/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
The same thing that always has caused earthquakes in Turkey.
failures.wikispaces.com...
They do have alot of earthquakes there. Im glad we left

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
We moved to California

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Irony, right?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: darkstar57

You can also follow less than 4.0 and larger Quakes on RSOE on the real time map, gives a good overview of activity .

When the ring of fire is active, so are Europe, it's Earthquake season.
edit on 29-4-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: visitedbythem

Irony, right?
Yeah! Im east of San Francisco, so I just feel the stronger ones

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I look at USGS and Glogal Incident Map once in awhile, but I got an app so I can get alerts. I set it pretty low to begin with, to get an idea of how it worked. I already had an idea of the most active places in the world for earthquakes. It is free in the windows app store, called Earthquake Watch.

I would recommend you run it a few days and you will get an idea of where earthquakes normally occur. The shallow ones are more dangerous. Especially shallow ones above say 4.0 in water near land. That is a general statement.

There are daily earthquakes in Alaska, Oklahoma, The west coast of South America. Vanauatu...though that might be a concern, as of late. Northern Ca, small ones , often. The entire Pacific rim.

As far as the ones you point out, as Phage says, it is an earthquake prone area. If they increase in frequency, magnitude and remain at a shallow depth, you may have something, though.

High magnitude and shallow in dense population is very bad.

You should get an app if this interests you

edit on 30-4-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-4-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Earthquakes rarely come isolated and without an additional shudder or two. Earth is a very dynamic planet. A magnitude 2 to 4 "earthquake" is exactly that, a shudder. We even get them in the UK.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Turkey is in an area of earthquake activity along with neighbour's Greece. In 1999 i was in Istanbul when the 7.4 quake struck in the Marmara Sea area. In Izmit , the epicentre, the home of the Turkish navy it was a complete disaster, the area was decimated. As it happened around 3am, the Navy top brass and family's along with other personal were killed in their beds. I wont go on, but later i traveled to Athens capital of Greece and i saw many people living in parks/streets, thought that's strange, and wondered why. At the hotel they said an earthquake 6.0 struck a few weeks ago and with the damage people cannot return to their houses. I live in Indonesia now and experienced the 9.3 in 2004 off Aech province, and can only wonder when the next big one will happen.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I think Turkey EQs also have a cause from the plate of Arabia crunching EurAsia ... the same plate is causing a new ocean to start growing between Africa and Arabia, the red sea fault line (opposite the Turkey boundary) is numerous hot spots

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Thank you I will get this app you speak of. It sounds interesting and informative at the same time.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
If you go to the USGS quake site, my settings , you see 1 Day, Magnitude 2.5+ Worldwide . Now, if you sort quakes by smallest to largest, there are very few outside the US... so indeed USGS is reporting very few under 4 around the world...and i had not noticed that. In the US, they will report "quarry blast" indicating they can distinguish the sharp spike of a explosion vs the rumble of a quake...

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
If you go to the USGS quake site, my settings , you see 1 Day, Magnitude 2.5+ Worldwide . Now, if you sort quakes by smallest to largest, there are very few outside the US... so indeed USGS is reporting very few under 4 around the world...and i had not noticed that. In the US, they will report "quarry blast" indicating they can distinguish the sharp spike of a explosion vs the rumble of a quake...

What i really wanted to see is the actual seismograph for any quake. Buried in the USGS is this info per quake in the US. an explosion, nuke or chemical, will generally make a sharp spike then decaying resonance, an earthquake builds up, resonates, then dies down...

So the three quakes on the Syrian border, a 2.0, 2.0, and 2.7 , should be looked at for the shape of the seismograph...

For fun i bought a trimble t191e on ebay for 35...it can be directly plugged into your hifi magnetic phono input, and play the sounds of the earth beneath your feet. But around 10 hertz...

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra
good points there, what i would like to see is a map of non quake seismo action. EG nukes and explosives that detonate all at once tend to make a sharp spike with a rapidly diminishing tail. So one could distinguish war and mining from earth movements....

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

The USGS site explains why some data from other countries are not available to them, but they are not the onlycountry that does research into earthquakes.

You can go to Turkey's own site:

www.koeri.boun.edu.tr...

and have a good old poke around.

You can also look at www.emsc-csem.org...

www.seismicportal.eu...

top topics

join