It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lavrov: Baltics show no gratitude for Moscow letting them go

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AVoiceOfReason

its more like "thanks for giving us our independence when your union fell instead of keeping us under that union".

Your grasp of history is weak. The Baltics left the Soviet Union. They said "We are no longer under your control."
The Soviets gave them nothing.

edit on 5/21/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

ohh alright. care to provide evidence?

"The Soviet Union was dissolved on December 26, 1991 as a result of the declaration no. 142-Н of the Soviet of the Republics of the Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union.[1] The declaration acknowledged the independence of the former Soviet republics and created the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS),"

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

MOSCOW, Sept. 6— The Soviet Union's new ruling council recognized the independence of the three Baltic states, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, today at its first meeting.

The move formally freed the three small republics, which were incorporated forcibly into the Soviet Union in 1940 but renewed their drive for independence in the era of glasnost. Their campaign was bitterly resisted by Moscow until last month, when central controls unraveled in the wake of the failed coup and a procession of foreign governments granted the Baltics diplomatic recognition.

S eptember, 1991.

You need to stop getting your history from Russian books.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

the bias is that all Russians are bad and everything they say is wrong. that's all i ever see from you.

Not once have I said anything bad about the Russian people, although with their government it a totally different game.

what difference does it make what the freaking comparison is? gratitude is gratitude. you either show it or you dont. if someone did you wrong and then made an attempt to right their wrongs then you should be grateful, unless you are an immature a$$hole. if someone never did any wrong and decided to do something nice for you you should be grateful, unless of course you are indeed an a$$hole.

Really Russia never did anything wrong, and what exactly was done so nicely to those countries?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

what russian books? and what is your point?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

yeah you just happen to regard the Russian government in absolutes. everything and anything they say or do offends you. you never see anything from their point of view(which btw is the point of view of the majority of russian people). and im supposed to sit here and believe you arent a russophobe?

Really Russia never did anything wrong, and what exactly was done so nicely to those countries?

what are you talking about? i have no idea what you mean.
edit on 21-5-2016 by AVoiceOfReason because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Your source:

The Baltic republics, forcibly reincorporated into the Soviet Union in 1944,[13] pressed for independence, beginning with Estonia in November 1988 when the Estonian legislature passed laws resisting the control of the central government.[14]
en.wikipedia.org...

''Let us state it point blank, right here, at the meeting of the Presidium, and in front of the country,'' he said. ''We must not permit a situation that would hamper perestroika and would even make some people think that it is, perhaps, perestroika that is to blame for all that.''

He added that the recent decision by the republic of Estonia to resist central control by Moscow was inadmissable and posed a constitutional crisis. The Government declared the Estonian policy invalid on Saturday.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

yeah and then what happened. did they then recognize their independence maybe? did that maybe happen. was that what happened afterward? is it. was it. did that happen? did it?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Did you miss the part about:

He added that the recent decision by the republic of Estonia to resist central control by Moscow was inadmissable and posed a constitutional crisis. The Government declared the Estonian policy invalid on Saturday.

But, with the Soviet government in collapse, they really had no choice.

"Thank you so much for not crushing us when we left your oppressive regime."

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra Oh the arrogance runs deep... Lavrov: Baltics show no gratitude for Moscow letting them go

STOCKHOLM — Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says the Baltic countries have shown no gratitude to Moscow for letting them “go in peace” after the Soviet Union collapsed. In an interview published Friday in Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter, Lavrov singled out Lithuania as the “most aggressive, Russo-phobic country” and said it is pushing NATO in an “anti-Russian direction.” He said NATO colleagues once told him that Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania would “calm down” once they joined the alliance in 2004. “They joined NATO but there was no calm, especially not with our Lithuanian neighbor,” Lavrov was quoted as saying. Lithuanian Foreign Minister Linas Linkevicius called Lavrov’s comments “pure propaganda.”
Click link for remainder of article... Only Russia could be this arrogant and howl at the moon stupid at the same time. They occupy eastern European countries for 50+ years and turn around and bitch that they are being ungrateful for the USSR "letting them go peacefully"... That doesn't include the fact the USSR invaded and occupied the Baltic nations during the brief USSR-Nazi alliance that saw them invade and divide up Poland. Russia just bitched to the Polish ambassador to Russia because they denied entry to the Russian motorcycle gang. It takes quite a set to complain about countries that were invaded / occupied by the USSR/Russia as being ungrateful.

The Baltic countries regained their independence in the early 1990’s after nearly five decades under Soviet occupation. More than a dozen people were killed and scores were injured in a Soviet crackdown on Lithuania’s independence drive in January 1991.
This is further evidence that the Russian government has lost whats left of its mind / sanity.

Russia "let them go" I guess they feel they did them a big favor that makes them owe Russia something. This is to be expected from a country with a history of unmitigated tyranny to do some act the world sees as honorable, but Russian leaders feel they did a favor which must be repaid, and the recipient of their great generosity should be repaid, for life.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

why didnt they have a choice?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Because the government was in collapse and losing control, of everything.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

that doesnt mean they had no choice. they didnt have to dissolve the soviet union. why do you think they did? on the contrary historicaly collapse is used by governments to crack down on people and enforce their will.

the government made a choice to dissolve the soviet union. its a choice that former soviet nations should be grateful for. what effectively happened is the new government wrote right the wrongs of the old government that formed the soviet union.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

they didnt have to dissolve the soviet union. why do you think they did?

They didn't say "Ok, there is no more Soviet Union."
The Baltic states left and because Moscow was losing power they really had no choice. They had other things to worry about closer to home.

"Thank you so much for not crushing us when we left your oppressive regime."

extra DIV

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

how was that relevant to my question? why did you even quote me if you weren't going to actually answer it?

yes they did. the Baltic states said they wanted to leave and after some time the soviets said ok and let them go. its alot like how Catalonia doesn't want to be part of Spain anymore. but Spain doesn't just say ok and let them go, they just said no. if spain let Catalonia go i would say that Catalonia should be grateful.

sigh*are you serious? i can tell you dont actually have any knowlege of any of this sh1t and yet you keep talking. the soviet union didnt just dissolve naturally, THAT ISNT EVEN #ING POSSIBLE. they made a decision to dissolve.
edit on 21-5-2016 by AVoiceOfReason because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

i can tell you dont actually have any knowlege of any of this sh1t and yet you keep talking. the soviet union didnt just dissolve naturally, THAT ISNT EVEN #ING POSSIBLE. they made a decision to dissolve.
No. They didn't decide. It happened to them because their oppressive regime became nonviable due to political and economic influences.

And yes, I have some knowledge of it. It occurred as the world watched and I was quite old enough to observe it.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

wow. alright then dude. you can keep believing that sh1t then even though its common knowlege that it isnt what happened. i suppose you think that because YOU think they didnt have a choice then it must not have been a decision? idanno man, whatever, your delusions are making my head hurt.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Does a raft "decide" to go downstream?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

no but a union does sign a declaration to dissolve. if the European union went into recession and then drafted a declaration to dissolve i wouldnt go around saying that they didnt actually make that declaration because they had no choice. people would think im fu@*ing retarded.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

no but a union does sign a declaration to dissolve.

Moscow had no choice. There was nothing left. Gorbachev didn't want to do it, he had no choice. The Union had already collapsed. It was dead, deceased, extinct. Signing a piece of paper was a formality.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join